IHRunner

Almost Finished

Got a temp scope on the wee beastie. Marlin xt platform in 22 mag. Stainless. Machined billet trigger. Harris 1A2-BR bipod. Cheap Barska 3-9 on it til the new scope comes in. But dang if it doesnt look good!0709181119-1.thumb.jpg.aa68c86e2d73d626d038375f4ff32d1d.jpg

Like that setup there IHRunner. I got a 223 and 22 hornet that I enjoy and a 222

• Like 1

I like it. Still has the "micro-groove" barrel I presume?  22mag is one of my all time favorite calibers. I've been looking for a Marlin 1894M for years with no luck (22mag lever)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I like it. Still has the "micro-groove" barrel I presume?  22mag is one of my all time favorite calibers. I've been looking for a Marlin 1894M for years with no luck (22mag lever)

Well keep looking sledge. I got this beastie for a steal so i decided to put a bit of money in it. The trigger sucketh so i made one for it with less suck. Then managed to talk myself into shoosting it at prarrie dogs. So much fun i have to say. Will be much better with a good scope.

8 hours ago, IHRunner said:

Well keep looking sledge. I got this beastie for a steal so i decided to put a bit of money in it. The trigger sucketh so i made one for it with less suck. Then managed to talk myself into shoosting it at prarrie dogs. So much fun i have to say. Will be much better with a good scope.

We don't have any prairie dogs but we do have whistle pigs.  This one got in a fight with a .22 mag pistol. 

The other one is a Marlin 25 MN that I spruced up a few years ago. It makes a good shed gun. 

Edit:I forgot the pic (dummy)

IMG_5123.JPG

IMG_5122.JPG

I keep a HB version of that rifle in my vehicle for varmints at the farm.  .22Mag is about my limit for wanting to shoot without hearing protection.   I had a .17HMR but never was much impressed with it.   The .22Mag suits me much better.  A Silver Nikon Scope with the BDC sits on top and makes shooting up to about 200 yards pretty easy.   I's been a really good little rifle!  I still have the factory trigger which is kind of a copy of a Savage Accu-trigger but it certainly leaves a little to be desired but is fine for a varmint gun! :) 

I had to slightly bend the metal tang that holds the magazine, as the way it came it was very difficult to cycle the bolt with a full mag.   My action inside where the bolt rides was pretty rough machined too, so a little polishing there helped a bunch.  

It's no precision rifle, but it works! 

5 hours ago, B.B. said:

I had to slightly bend the metal tang that holds the magazine, as the way it came it was very difficult to cycle the bolt with a full mag.   My action inside where the bolt rides was pretty rough machined too, so a little polishing there helped a bunch.  

I have the nikon rimfire 150 prostaff ordered for her. And for sure i had to debur the bolt assembly a lot

Sorry I forgot the pics earlier. The good 22 mag is a Ruger 10/22 magnum. It wears an old leupold fixed 4x scope. I don't like over 4x or adjustable scopes on any .22. Also got a couple more 22 mag pistols. They are loud but sure do the job well. That S&W model 51 in the above pic is my baby.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Sorry I forgot the pics earlier. The good 22 mag is a Ruger 10/22 magnum. It wears an old leupold fixed 4x scope. I don't like over 4x or adjustable scopes on any .22. Also got a couple more 22 mag pistols. They are loud but sure do the job well. That S&W model 51 in the above pic is my baby.  

Love that picture so much. Awesome stuff buddy.

11 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

We don't have any prairie dogs but we do have whistle pigs.  This one got in a fight with a .22 mag pistol. 

The other one is a Marlin 25 MN that I spruced up a few years ago. It makes a good shed gun. 

Edit:I forgot the pic (dummy)

IMG_5123.JPG

IMG_5122.JPG

Surprised you got close enough to that whistle pig to dispatch it with a hand gun.   LE

5 hours ago, W30 Lee said:

Surprised you got close enough to that whistle pig to dispatch it with a hand gun.   LE

This guy moved in around the barns. Most of the ones I get are fairly close range and not in an open field. Ive shot several with pistols from .22 up to .38 special.  Even got one with an axe once but that was in the wide open. These are the reason I got my first center fire rifle. 😊  Dad put a bounty on them when I was a kid.  They are still one of my favorite things to hunt.  I need to dig up the picture of the one I shot with an M1 carbine.

Sorry to get off topic Runner. 

• Haha 1

was a time in my youth I looked forward to a Sunday dinner of baked whistle pig and green sliders with corn bread and brown beans-onions russ  

3 hours ago, russ said:

was a time in my youth I looked forward to a Sunday dinner of baked whistle pig and green sliders with corn bread and brown beans-onions russ  

Maybe Whistle Pig and Green Sliders is to a Southerner what Grits and Country Ham or Mountain Oysters is to a Northerner, but just what the heck is a Green Slider and why would someone in their right mind eat a rodent?  That looks like a Wolf Rat to me.

10 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

This guy moved in around the barns. Most of the ones I get are fairly close range and not in an open field. Ive shot several with pistols from .22 up to .38 special.  Even got one with an axe once but that was in the wide open. These are the reason I got my first center fire rifle. 😊  Dad put a bounty on them when I was a kid.  They are still one of my favorite things to hunt.  I need to dig up the picture of the one I shot with an M1 carbine.

Sorry to get off topic Runner. 

In my 6 years on this forum I've NEVER taken a thread off topic....lol run with it buddy. I like stories.

My Grannie skinned and cooked a young ground hog years ago, I had shot in the pasture field out by the road.  I was young but I remember it and best I remember it tasted about like rabbit.   "Hunting" groundhogs was a lot of fun for a young kid and a single shot .22lr Remington.  I think I could still hit a groundhog at up to 100 yards with it today If I had too.   

A couple years ago I had some bowling pins set up about 80 yards out and was letting my nephew shoot them with my Savage MkII TRR with a 6-18 Redfield Battlezone Scope.   He got to where he was hitting them really well off a rest and got to thinking he was getting good.   I went in mom's house and got that old Remington single shot, and gave him 3 rounds and myself 3 rounds.  I stood prone while he continued to use the rest.  He did beat me by just a smidge but we both hit the 3 pins each (only had 6 down range) and he learned an important lesson! :)  I'm not that great of a shot but as a kid I shot that 22 a lot and even though I hadn't fired it in probably 15 years we still knew each other! :)

Of course then I gave him the single shot rifle to let him try it on his own.  Turns out he wasn't as good as he thought! 😂 But with practice he did get better! 

I've been working with him for the last few years to teach him to be a rifleman and not just a trigger puller. I think waiting in the field for an hour with a single shot 22 rifle for that groundhog to come out of his hole taught me lots of things kids these days just don't get.  Patience, calming yourself, fortitude, making one chance count, and lastly that taking a life to protect equipment and livestock is sometimes necessary and is ok.   We have so many animal rights people these days that haven't ever had to fix and repair the front axle on a B Allis Chalmers because the front wheel fell in a ground hog holes while raking hay..... I'm all for being responsible and never mistreating animals but it only takes once to learn that ground hogs (as cute as) they are don't belong on farms! 

I did find a pic of my 22 Mag from last fall.  Bald Eagle was eating her later that day.  So you gotta love the idea of feeding an Eagle lol 

This one was dispatched due to having 2 huge holes in a crop field.  Enough it would of gotten the front wheel of the spray coupe in it most likely. 

98512.jpeg

• Like 2

I got to thinking. I used to see about using a different caliber every time I went just to add a new one to the list. Here is what I have used that I can remember. 

Axe

.22lr (pistol and rifle)

.22mag (pistol and rifle)

.38 special snub nose 

.30 carbine

.17 centerfire

22-250 (by far the most kills)

30-30

a pickup truck

5 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I got to thinking. I used to see about using a different caliber every time I went just to add a new one to the list. Here is what I have used that I can remember. 

Axe

.22lr (pistol and rifle)

.22mag (pistol and rifle)

.38 special snub nose 

.30 carbine

.17 centerfire

22-250 (by far the most kills)

30-30

a pickup truck

I dispatched a prarrie dog with a 50bmg. That was the biggest waste of 4.50 ever.

On 7/10/2018 at 11:28 AM, B.B. said:

That reminds me... I bought one brand new and that very same thing happened. Marlin told me to bend the clip. I asked if I was understanding them correctly... you want me to bend my brand new gun per manufacturer? They said yes! Or else send it in and we’ll bend it for you🤷‍♂️  True story I had forgotten about. 

Another true story, that stainless ain’t stainless... I left it mine in my gun rack up in the top of my side by side for months. I figured what the heck right? One day I looked up and it was solid rust front to back. 🙀

2 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

That reminds me... I bought one brand new and that very same thing happened. Marlin told me to bend the clip. I asked if I was understanding them correctly... you want me to bend my brand new gun per manufacturer? They said yes! Or else send it in and we’ll bend it for you🤷‍♂️  True story I had forgotten about. 

Another true story, that stainless ain’t stainless... I left it mine in my gun rack up in the top of my side by side for months. I figured what the heck right? One day I looked up and it was solid rust front to back. 🙀

I assure you this one is stainless. They also do a cerakote stainless that is famous for rusting. But thos barrel is stainless. I had to work on it. Its solid.

16 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Wished I would of called.... I had to figure it out on my own.... took a little trial and error to get it perfect too, but it works as it should now.   had a 25MN I bought years ago.  It was a much better quality gun than the new one.  But the trigger on it was about 15lbs lol 

Seems like a lot of stainless rifle barrels will rust but stainless handguns I think you could leave laying on the beach exposed to salt water and they'd still look like new. 

22 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

10-4

But i will say my ruger barrel that was true stainless rusted solid. From being in a case for about two days. So i dont doubt your story at all.