Sign in to follow this  
Finney

Loading chute

Started on a loading chute today. The end will swivel to meet the truck if they are not square backing in.

More pics to come as I get more done.

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1847.JPG

IMG_1848.JPG

IMG_1849.JPG

• Like 3

Looks good so far, great idea on the swivel,nice work 

Dennis

• Like 1

Finney-----you really do some nice work.  Keep the pictures coming------always enjoy your projects.

52 minutes ago, ky966boy said:

Nice welds bet you could weld a broken heart 

I knew an old welder that always said:  "I can weld anything but a broken heart and the break of day---------but I've worked on a few broken hearts!!!!"😁😗

He was my dad's age and a real character-------I learned a lot from him.  Gave me great pleasure to weld things up for him once his eyesight began to fail.

Now guess who's hair is grey and has failing vision!!!!😨

DD

Like I said before, what would your customers do without you Finney?

Thanks for the kind words. I started welding in 1976, got a job in Elkton KY on a pipeline running a dozer clearing. It was fairly open country and I could get way ahead of the crew and find a shade tree and rest. The superintendent was a retired welder that still drove what he called his welding car. He would come up to where I was and BS for a while everyday. One day he asked if I wanted to learn to weld pipe, I had learned the basics in FFA and thought it would be good to learn pipe welding. So he would come up about everyday with some nipples on his truck and give me lessons. This went on for a couple of months and one day he came up with the main inspector and told me I was gonna test. Passed the test and from then on when I would get ahead he would come and get me and I would use his truck and weld on the line. He was a fine fella but he demanded excellence, no short cuts so I learned from one of the best. I stayed with him until he retired. He passed away a few years ago and I drove his welding car at the head of the funeral procession.

Back on work a local factory call with a broken aluminum fixture for a CNC mill. It was 1-1/4" thick aluminum. They had machined out the new piece and bolted and doweled it together. It took a couple of hours to weld. I forgot to put sun screen on under my shirt and almost burned my chest. Started out about 330 amps and finished up at around 180 amps. 

IMG_1845.JPG

• Like 1

Wow! You’re welds are a thing of beauty. Always enjoy seeing pics of your work. 

Got a little more done today. heat wasn't to bad today but they are saying it will be back tomorrow. 

IMG_1852.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finney said:

Got a little more done today. heat wasn't to bad today but they are saying it will be back tomorrow. 

IMG_1852.JPG

Is this that project you needed all the pipe for?

1 hour ago, mader656 said:

Is this that project you needed all the pipe for?

Yep one of them, he wants 2 more cattle feeding barns when this is finished.

The plate at the bottom can pivot to align with the truck, but the top appears solid. What am I missing? I've seen a lot of those, but the posts have always been solid with the concrete, and only the plate pivots simply to not have any gaps to step in.

6 minutes ago, dads706 said:

The plate at the bottom can pivot to align with the truck, but the top appears solid. What am I missing? I've seen a lot of those, but the posts have always been solid with the concrete, and only the plate pivots simply to not have any gaps to step in.

If you look at the horizontal pipe coming of the front hoop that is attached to the pivot it is a smaller ID than the rear half and the ends of each horizontal tube is welded to a larger ID pipe than the OD of the hoop pipe so the horizontal tube can pivot on the vertical members of the hoop as they slide in and out.

CHUTE.JPG

Yeah, I saw that BobSIH and figured it must be something like that. Just never saw one with that many moving parts. Nothing wrong, just never saw it before. Finney, are you adding grease zerks for any moving part? I added grease zerks to our catch chute and to both our self catch head gates and it makes a world of difference. 

The plate mount has a grease zerk. The telescoping pieces have 1/8" plus clearance.

Got a little more done today until it got too hot, just can't take it like I used to.

Have to go back on boat repairs tomorrow so unload and reload, fun fun.

IMG_1853.JPG

IMG_1854.JPG

43 minutes ago, dads706 said:

Yeah, I saw that BobSIH and figured it must be something like that. Just never saw one with that many moving parts. Nothing wrong, just never saw it before. Finney, are you adding grease zerks for any moving part? I added grease zerks to our catch chute and to both our self catch head gates and it makes a world of difference. 

I don't recommend grease rather dry lubes that don't attract dirt.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:58 PM, Finney said:

First hoop installed. Got the second made and hauled over this afternoon.

IMG_1850.JPG

IMG_1851.JPG

Finney, I really enjoy looking at your work.

I have a question however. What is the reason for running a bead on top of another bead in the second picture?

I know it is a stupid question but I know very little about welding and am trying to learn.

hillskine,

There is actually 3 beads there. Rule of thumb make the weld as wide and tall as the parent metal.

See below

IMG_1857.JPG

• Thanks 2