Sign in to follow this  
R Pope

V800

Don't know if this is allowed on this site. I have a good V800 engine that's looking for a home, anyone interested?

It's a V8 diesel, turbo'd, out of a 4586 4WD tractor. 800 cubes. Runs good, lots of power. The front diff blew, cost more to fix than the tractor is worth. I'll throw in the 9 speed trans and new double disc clutch. It's actually a ten speed but top gear is blocked out.

I think the front and rear ends were 1466 rears. Could you buy a salvage 1466 for $2500 and use the rear end? Lots of hard work but not too expensive.

The front drive unit's ring and pinion are unique and no longer available new to my knowledge unless someone would custom build a set.

The rest of the guts are common parts with the 2WD tractors.

The cases are the same as the 2WD tractors, down to the machining for the trans shafts that aren't there. The ring and pinion has the teeth cut different because they work opposite to a normal set, running in what would be reverse in anything else. My R and P are probably good, it seems to be the bull gear on one side that is locking up. Besides that, the tires are all shot. It's just not worth the time and effort to fix it.

Any chance the tires are 23.1-30. If so I'm interested in buying the cast centers and rims.

On 8/13/2018 at 8:01 PM, MarkG said:

Any chance the tires are 23.1-30. If so I'm interested in buying the cast centers and rims.

Steiger had their own rim rolling line, made their own wheels and made IH's wheels too. Most Steiger built tractors had 10 - bolt dual hubs and thick steel plate centers in the wheels.

Tires are 20.8X38, sorry, MarkG.

On 8/12/2018 at 9:54 AM, Doc Egor said:

The front drive unit's ring and pinion are unique and no longer available new to my knowledge unless someone would custom build a set.

The rest of the guts are common parts with the 2WD tractors.

Why not flip the r-p like a forklift tractor?

or a 1066 diff flipped over ?

You dont have to flip the diff over, just put it facing the other way and it works. The trouble is, the drive thrust is applied to the back side of the teeth which are not designed to take that much power.

Did you re power or what did you do with the 45?  Dad has a 43 and a 47, we would like the set.

Junked it. Still quite complete, a bit of work on the front axle bearings and a radiator would get her going again. Interested? It would be cheap!

On 8/24/2018 at 4:25 PM, R Pope said:

You dont have to flip the diff over, just put it facing the other way and it works. The trouble is, the drive thrust is applied to the back side of the teeth which are not designed to take that much power.

On 8/26/2018 at 12:47 PM, R Pope said:

Junked it. Still quite complete, a bit of work on the front axle bearings and a radiator would get her going again. Interested? It would be cheap!

Then the drive shat would be pointing away from the rear of the tractor. 

I have a 4366, they seemed like not enough power to hurt the diffs