C291 engine runs great when cold, once it heats up it will start missing and eventually dies, will restart however will not run under any load. After it cools down, repeats.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thank you for your response!

DJS in Wi

I would check the fuel flow to the carburetor.   Pull the fuel line off at the fitting to the carburetor and check to be sure you have a good stream of fuel flowing.    If you have a good flow of fuel then I would skip to the next paragraph.   If  you don't have a good solid stream of fuel then check the sediment bowl for full flow.    If the sediment bowl doesn't flow well then the screen up in the top of the bowl may  be plugged.   Pull the glass bowl and check for a good flow out of the center fitting in the housing.  If the center fitting doesn't flow fuel well then the sediment bowl housing  is probably plugged in the tank.   You will need to drain the fuel tank and remove the sediment bowl housing and clean the inlet hole.  Clean the tank of any trash while you have it empty.  Then reassemble the fittings and lines and recheck the fuel flow to the carburetor.   Run the engine and see how it performs under load.  

If  it still doesn't run well under load  then I would check the ignition points gap,  it should be   .020" when all the way opened.   Then run the engine again and enjoy.

Let us know what you find out is wrong.

GT&T

Might be a bad coil also seen them cause that condition

Finally had time to work on this, fuel checked out OK, points were good, replaced to coil, still a "no go" Changed out the plugs, runs perfect now, somehow a set of D16 Champions were installed, changed out with D15Ys, I'm happy again. Thanks for the advice!!

DJS in Wi

Did your engine have  D 16's or were they  UD 16's.   The UD 16's have  a built in extended gap that are used on magneto equipped engines.  This extended gap allows the coil voltage to build in the magneto to provide a hotter spark,  however just the opposite effect happens with a distributor ignition system.

Glad you got it fixed.   Things like this can be very frustrating.

GT&T