What’s the best mattress for dealing with sciatica pain? Wife bought a new mattress maybe 2 months ago and I started getting pain in my hip. Didn’t think it was mattress related but Mack truck seat related because it started around the same time work hired a second driver to work “hot seating” and I blamed him for changing my seat adjustments.

Well, a week of the truck in the shop, and a second week of vacation my hip/ leg pain was starting to feel better, until we got home and slept in this mattress. Woke up at 3 and was in pain so much that I had to get up🤕

I'm hard on mattresses. Usually have them worn out in a year. Bit the bullet and spent the money and got a temperpedic. 2 years now and it is just as good as the day we got it. I am sure I will come out ahead on the money end in its lifetime. Plus I no longer have back pain in the morning. 

Just my experience. Jerry

• Like 1

There is a outfit round here that does they call it "bed match system" I was a but sceptical till my wife's back pain went away after we got it's recommended choice... A bit far to travel but something like it may be worth it.

I haven't done anything scientific but have learned that I need a soft mattress.  I only weight 140 and my bony body just lays on top of a firm one.

This discovery, along with the right insoles in my boots, has pretty much eliminated what little back pain I've had.

• Like 1

I went to one of the air beds and I swear by it.

You can set the number to you and the wife can do so on her side.

A normal mattress is what you get.

The air mattress is adjustable to you.

You can even get one that raises the head and stops your snoring.

I will never be without one of these.

1 hour ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I went to one of the air beds and I swear by it.

You can set the number to you and the wife can do so on her side.

A normal mattress is what you get.

The air mattress is adjustable to you.

You can even get one that raises the head and stops your snoring.

I will never be without one of these.

Sleep by number or something like that?

There are some not so good things with the sleep number mattress but we are on the second one. Close to 20 years since the first one. Really good if one wants firm and the other a little softer.

I've got a sleep by number bed and my wife and I both like it.

Not that I'm much help here but I couldn't tell you anything about my mattress other than its white and we have had it for as long as I can remember. I believe my wife got it second hand from her dad when he sold his ranch. Everyone talks about how a nice mattress can help you sleep much better I just never think of taking the time to shop for one.

1 hour ago, ZachGrant said:

Not that I'm much help here but I couldn't tell you anything about my mattress other than its white and we have had it for as long as I can remember. I believe my wife got it second hand from her dad when he sold his ranch. Everyone talks about how a nice mattress can help you sleep much better I just never think of taking the time to shop for one.

My wife was in the same boat we stopped and got matched... She will never go back...

We tried the Casper that you see advertised on TV. I need a very firm mattress for my back but this one was like sleeping on the floor. Gave it a hundred days but it never gave a bit. We sent it back for refund. Using an old sleep number we got from my folks. We like it can be adjusted seperately for each of us. It was before the number deal. Just hit the button to add or remove air.

On 7/8/2018 at 7:29 AM, SMOKER 1 said:

I am sure I will come out ahead on the money end in its lifetime.

Yeah, money spent on a better mattress than a cheapie is probably well spent if it's worth the extra money.

We bought a king tempur matress about 6 years and cost $4000, it contours perfectly to your body takes a little bit of getting use to, also buy the tempur pillows about $320, was told that Serena Williams uses same bed, money worth spent

tried the temper pedic  and a sealy something or other both were horrible to sleep on for me. after wife left got the old water bed outa the basement ordered a new mattress on line full wave less a lot of my back pain in the morning went away but its a bear to roll out of when ya get up. feels like a whole herd of fat gals just got outa it when ya first get in it nice and warm sleep comes instantly russ    

Divorce...Water bed.....Fat girls.... Reminds me of … never mind,

Dennis

• Haha 2

Well, after attempting to sleep on that mattress again, I gave up and went mattress shopping. Found the best selling mattress ( according to the mattress salesman) and tried it for about 20 minutes. Tried a few others but kept going back to that one- Serta mattress with conventional coil springs and a memory foam top. Idk how thick the memory foam part is, but it’s supposed to  be the best of both worlds. I’ll let you know how it turns out, 😴😴

5 hours ago, jingles1928 said:

Dennis

I m glad somebody said something

10 hours ago, jingles1928 said:

Dennis

Touche ! lol! best russ

I believe ours is a Sealy Posturpedic. I think it's too hard and we really should replace it. I always sleep with a pillow between my knees or under them if I sleep on my back. Relieves lower back pain for me. 

For me, I guess I'm old school, have been in a waterbed since I was 16, and enjoy every minute of it, unless you have mischievous kids that like to turn the temp up, that's not good. More or less water to adjust firmness, we enjoy waveless now that wife and I are getting older. There's nothing like a cold winter night climbing into a toasty warm waterbed. On occasion I have a lower disk in my back that slips, and I believe the full support you get from a waterbed is very helpful. I guess that's where the foam beds got the idea

Mark

8 hours ago, td9inidaho said:

For me, I guess I'm old school, have been in a waterbed since I was 16, and enjoy every minute of it, unless you have mischievous kids that like to turn the temp up, that's not good. More or less water to adjust firmness, we enjoy waveless now that wife and I are getting older. There's nothing like a cold winter night climbing into a toasty warm waterbed. On occasion I have a lower disk in my back that slips, and I believe the full support you get from a waterbed is very helpful. I guess that's where the foam beds got the idea

Mark

The one time I slept in a water bed I couldn’t get out of the stupid thing. 

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2018 at 7:41 PM, russ said:

tried the temper pedic  and a sealy something or other both were horrible to sleep on for me. after wife left got the old water bed outa the basement ordered a new mattress on line full wave less a lot of my back pain in the morning went away but its a bear to roll out of when ya get up. feels like a whole herd of fat gals just got outa it when ya first get in it nice and warm sleep comes instantly russ    

I and the Wife had a king size waterbed for quite some time than it started getting leaks and after multiple patches we got rid of it and bought a king size Serta with memory foam .

I must say though the ole waterbed was kinda nice to crawl into , warm in the Winter and we would turn the heater down some in the Summer so it was cooler 

I kind of miss the " Ocean Motion " too .

On 7/11/2018 at 8:34 AM, td9inidaho said:

Mark

It must be fun around your house if the kids cranked up the heat on your water bed.

I give them an "A" for thinking of that.

That's a classic.

Geez. Our mattress is 25 years old. There is an imprint where i sleep. Snuggle into my "spot" and i am out like a light. Wife says we need a new one but i am holding out still. Kinda like an old pair of jeans or boots...just a few more days...

2 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

It must be fun around your house if the kids cranked up the heat on your water bed.

I give them an "A" for thinking of that.

That's a classic.

Oh, it's never a dull moment here, you are right. Not always do we see the humor till a fair amount of time has passed. I Do remember one Christmas Eve, kids grown, staying the night like old times. Wife and I are asleep, kids up "enjoying" the refreshments when all of a sudden a chicken flies up the stairs into our room, then one of the boys comes up after it once his wife tells him how his mom is going to have a cow in the morning when it craps all over up here. Just one of many memories around here. The waterbed being turned up was nothing😁😁