bdhull

Anyone have experience with IH 554 Gas - Diesel Engine start?

I replaced points, condenser, coil (as it had obviously overheated as the bottom was rounded instead of flat) new wires.  Now I have spark to all cylinders but I think the carb to cylinder flow is being blocked by some butterflies that are part of the gas to diesel lever.  I may try just spraying some gas in the intake tube and see if I get some life while cranking. The gas to diesel lever has many levers it turns to make the system work.

All the wiring seems correct after I switched the battery from negative ground to positive ground.  Coil did not get voltage until the polarity was switched, must be a diode somewhere.

It turns over freely and the oil is nice and black. Also took a sample from bottom of pan to make sure no water in pan. Now the oil bath air filter was 50/50 oil water but luckily the filtered air goes into a tube up over the valve cover and down to the carb. Took the crossover off and no slime in it so all seems well.

I just want to hear this beast run. Have to take it step by step and I mostly work at night due to 110 degree temps in Arizona now.

Suggestions would be appreciated..

Thanks

Bart D. Hull

Laveen, AZ

The two big butterfly valves have to close tightly or it won't run on gas.

There is also a mechanism that is run by the switch over linkage that hooks to the carb, that will shut off the gasoline flow into the carb. It closes the needle in the carb down onto the seat so no gas will flow into the carb while it's running on diesel. Pull the drain plug, or open the draincock on the bottom of the carb to see if gas is running out when in gas mode, it should be, and shouldn't be in diesel mode. Sometimes the needle itself or the mechanism that runs it will stick, not allowing the gas to flow. That's what was wrong with my UD554 I had in a Galion grader. Once I got that figured out and got it all freed up, it took right off on gas. Nice running engine, has an interesting sound with the 2 exhaust pipes. When I got mine, it had the radiator hoses off from it and the head and block were full of nests in the cooling passages. I flushed, pressure washer, drained, flushed, pressure washer, numerous times, but am sure I never got it all out. I had all of the coolant covers off, all the water housings, radiator all off and apart, and it still got a hot spot in there somewhere I believe that caused a cracked head on it. I can't remember, but I think I got around 2 five gallon pails of mouse nest stuff out of the cooling system. I sold the engine for parts, and the grader for scrap, but I still have the injection pump and a brand new button clutch for it if you happen to need either of those things.

Ross 

Keep working at it Bart.You'll get it. 86 here in MN and I wait for shade.

Have you  seen this book yet? M Diesel was kind enough to scan and post this.

I downloaded the pages and put them in a file. If you're on your phone, the pages would be right there when out working on it.

Wade thru the specifications pages and then look at the linkage adjustments. I've never had the need to adjust the linkage but I do give the pins some lube every so often.

Perhaps some PB Blaster or WD-40 on the joints. It does help. :-)

I'm a UD-16 fella and am not familiar with the 554, it was a newer model of the 502 UD-16 and UD525 but with a bigger bore so probably the same or very similar...Keep us up to speed. :-)

I don't know if it would be of help but perhaps see this thread. https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/115178-type-a-fuel-system-with-ud-16-care-and-feeding-notions/

Just saw your TD-15 pics! Nice looking crawler! And you have a radiator coming! Yesss!

On the gas starting side; it looks like you have ONE thermostat housing (with a bleeder for 4, 5 & 6) compared to my old 2 thermostat 502 UD-16 engine. Like.

What is that oil soaked mess between cylinders 2 and 3 with a wire and terminal leading to the bottom of the carburetor?

Does the 554 have an electric main gas valve solenoid on the carb? The bottom of the 554 carb is way different than the old 502!

If so, perhaps you could jump 12 Volts to it to open that solenoid and allow gasoline for the carb?????

Pull the gas line, the "Gasoline Strainer" screen just inside and a screwdriver will (should) let you  pull the bottom of the carb and clean/check it. ??

A nylon zip tie would be a nice touch on the right side UP blade hose so the track doesn't eat that hose. :-)

B style injector pump with the "potty" hose for the internal drippings. I've been itching to see one. Like!

When you're ready for Diesel cycle, drain the injector pump oil and remove that bottom cover on the injector pump and clean the snot out of the sump! :-)

That's a bear on the 2 inside-row bolts next to the " pump support"...

Perhaps the side cover too. There's crud in there waiting. Piece of cake actually. Look to see IF anything is out of place.

I want to spend a few days out west and help you get that sweety humming!

Interesting Cat blade...

A single stack engine. I want to hear that one run! My older 502 UD-16 is a twin stacker. And they have a "sound"... Ahhh.

Don't forget about the fan shaft housing and generator mount grease. I'm still learning HOW to be certain the bearings are getting grease that isn't ancient.

Grease gets too hard to do anything any good after this long.

: - )

Gentlemen,

All I can say is "Thank you".  There is many "gotchas" you mention above that  I didn't see in the Engine manual or Operators manual.

Right now my biggest problem is that the compression release - diesel air closure butterflies are not closing. I pulled the end of the manifold and found the Ignition Idiot Switch (turns off ignition when running on diesel and butterflies are open.)  The shaft doesn't rotate far enough to make the contacts work so I know the butterflies aren't fully closed. The Compression release knob comes back a ways but is very sticky and I don't feel a notch or anything to tell me it is all the way back.  I'm pulling pretty hard (haven't put foot against dash yet, LOL) and I keep lubing all the mechanism bushings I can find. I wish I could find a place to grip that butterfly shaft and see how much bind is there or if the linkage just isn't moving far enough.

Air box has been moved over oil filters for some reason. A single exhaust manifold was made out of some thick pipe and I think this may be the reason for the airbox move. Thank god the air box oil sump is the lowest point on the air tract. It is a grey goop now which I assume is oil and water jello. Since the intake pipe goes over the top of the engine none of this crap made it to the carb or intake manifold.

Going to pull airbox to see what is behind it with that compression linkage and to clean the crap out of it.

I don't see a fuel shutoff solenoid on bottom of carb, but see a poor fitting 1/4" compression to screw thread adapter.  I need to get a better adapter as this one only has a few threads and leaks lots of gas. Don't know if the float seals as it leaks so much gas from the adapter fitting. Have a new fuel tap -bowl assy coming as the current one leaks bad and is missing it's screen.  No use in getting it to start and setting it on fire with lots of gas leaks.

What is the "Hump tank" for on top of the middle hood panel?  I see it in the Engine Manual so I know it wasn't cobbled up there. But strange none the less. Nothing like blocking your line of site when you sitting on the seat......  If you're in front of me and can't see my eyes....  MOVE!

I save the best for last, the unloading of this beast in my yard.  This is the unedited version that I think you gentlemen will appreciate....

This 22,000 lb toy was loaded onto a semi-lowboy trailer, great for running vehicles but crap for non-running dozers.   Instead of splitting at the base of the lowboy like the newer models, it just "kneels" and slants forward with a 30 degree angle step to get over the front legs that swivel back hydraulically.

After trailer was all the way down the dozer rolled nicely to the 30 degree step. Then the "Oh crap" moment. The front of the  tracks were "chocked" against that 30 degree ramp. You'd just about have to lift the front of the dozer to get it over the hump. Yea.....   That was Sunday and I was thinking of torching to cut the front of the trailer off or digging a unloading ramp with my Case 580B so the rear of the trailer was level with the ground and take it off the back. The semi driver (sans CDL, legal plates on the truck and a true lack of knowledge of how to haul something this big.) Managed to run over 3 fence posts, a brush hog that was 50 ft away from where the dozer was to be unloaded and thought it was OK to not quite be on my back road (recessed yard for irrigation) to the point I was holding my breath that the 11 ton dozer, loaded on the highest point of this trailer all the way to the rear was going to "wag the tail" and turn the trailer and truck over. I yelled when he tried to go straight through my iron pipe pasture fence (20 ft away from where he was supposed to be.) and he stopped one foot short.  Last think for the day was running the brush hog over for the third time and poking the newest tire on the semi's front end.   I had to take him home and it was a two hour trip. Not a word was spoken.

Called the boss on Monday.  Where the **** is my truck and trailer he yelled. I told him "his boy" had poked the front tire, ran over the brush hog 3 times and the rest of the story. Guess he hadn't filled in the boss. Also mentioned about the dozer almost taking the trailer and truck over and suggested inspecting the king pin before trying another load.........

Then the boss came on site with a real low boy and a 8 tire John Deere ag tractor.   Now we're talking. He talked to the driver and just shook his head and then turned to me. I said I just wanted it over there, didn't tell the driver how to do it. The boss was so pissed he pulled out the tools to pull the front tire and mount a new tire.  The semi driver just stayed back or I'm sure he would have eaten a tire iron or two. Boss hopped in, got under the trailer using the trailer hydraulics to pick it up. It was a 50/50 deal since the dozer was  the way against the front ramp, all the weight was on those two legs and the gas powered hydraulic winch couldn't pull the dozer up to the rear of the trailer again.  It did strain and groan but got it back up.  He backed it up and dropped the legs on my asphalt driveway. Yep, that got demolished too when the legs rotated to bring the trailer down again.

Boss unloaded the BIG 8 wheel JD in the street brought it around and hooked a cable to the dozers frame and under the blade. We used a jack to get the blade high enough to be over the "hump" and cable.  The JD didn't have too much trouble pulling that dozer off, but ooops someone forgot the important part.  How to stop it when it came down that 30 degree ramp. The undercarriage looks almost new. The tracks are original without any bars welded to them. It came off that trailer like a roller skate on fresh concrete...... towards my two car rear garage and my 10 hay squeeze pole barn. No one had rigged a stop cable or drag weights or a chock and no one was on the dozer to try to use any of the controls. (I don't know if you can do anything without it running other than put it in gear and pull the clutch lever to run position.

So the boss, the totally inexperienced semi driver and two of the bosses yards and I watched and gritted our teeth as this 22,000 lb unstoppable chunk of American Steel rolled off the trailer with amazing speed......   It stopped by sheer luck just two feet from the first 2 car garage.  At this point I had had enough.  "Are you ****** INSANE!,  I stuttered a bunch as the words I wanted to say just couldn't' come out. You are the luckiest ****** in the WORLD! I 'm sure I said more but this is what I can remember.

I calmed down after I saw that dozer had come off smoothly (like greased lightning) and the tracks rolled remarkably well and it didn't hit the JD or the garages.  I just had to let my blood pressure come down. The last cleat mark nearest the garage was only 3 feet away. No one thought to put out stop chocks either.  Just sheer luck.... The semi got moved and the JD pulled it back to a spot more in the middle of my work area.

The boss said "Here ya are, we'll contact you with a bill" and then started talking to the semi driver that started this whole mess with how he wasn't getting paid for this load, he was going to have to work off a field repair and new tire for the semi and time for 3 guys including the boss to unscrew this situation on a work day and how this was really a fucked up way to start his Monday morning.   Then they walked out of the range I could hear them....

I have never recieved a bill, just a call that if I needed the dozer moved to a better place to work on it that he knows the heavy equipment guy around the corner and they could drive something over to drag it around. It wasn't horribly in the way so I called it good enough.....

I kinda feel sorry for the semi driver but it was all his mess and he only dug himself in deeper. Luckily the brush hog was in soft dirt so it didn't even bend the deck. (It's a Agri-8 and was built pretty good compared to the new stuff.)  So I replaced the 3 bent poles, figured out where I'm going to cut the asphalt drive shorter to get rid of the broken up stuff and called it a day.

I should have shot this video for youtube, but those involved would probably want to burn the tape..... LOL 

The one time in my life I wished I smoked or drank or did drugs just to get rid of that horrible feeling of what looked like was going to happen, ......

But now to the fun,  Breathing life into the 1959 IH TD-150 with the 554 Gas Start - Diesel run and taking it down my dirt roads to scare the neighbors with...

I do love to hear it turn over easily and can hear the difference in the exhaust when I pull the compression release so I know that part works, I just want to hear some BANG!

Bart D. Hull

"The damn lucky 50% Irishman"

Laveen, AZ

2018-06-04 19.18.27.jpg

2018-06-04 19.18.45.jpg

2018-06-04 19.19.06.jpg

2018-06-04 19.19.59.jpg

On 7/12/2018 at 9:04 PM, Duey_C said:

Just saw your TD-15 pics! Nice looking crawler! And you have a radiator coming! Yesss!

On the gas starting side; it looks like you have ONE thermostat housing (with a bleeder for 4, 5 & 6) compared to my old 2 thermostat 502 UD-16 engine. Like.

What is that oil soaked mess between cylinders 2 and 3 with a wire and terminal leading to the bottom of the carburetor?

The oil soaked mess between 2 and 3 was a upside down coil that had obviously overheated (bubbled bottom of coil) and spewed its oil on the coil to distributor wire.  Went in to AutoZone for a universal spark plug wire set as it was on $3 more than just a coil wire. Also got a coil there.  I bought proper spark plug terminal crimper pliers off of Amazon and did them right.

Not worried about the hoses right now as they are just shot. I think I'm going to bend some steel lines to get the lines out of harms way and only use rubber where needed. It has a Be Ge pump on the rear so I was going to fill that with ATF from my Toyota Tundra as flushing fluid (and to make sure some oil is in there.)  Oh yea, gotta weld bullet hold in Be Ge reservoir tank.

The oil in the injector pump was low but there and didn't look horrible. I drained the old oil and put in 20/50 Castrol. When it runs for a few hours all the oils will get flushed and replaced with the correct stuff.  Loved pulling the cover on my B275. It was a rack piston pump so you could see the stroke increase when you moved the throttle lever. Simple and cool to watch when running.

I think it was originally dual stack but exhaust manifold was replaced by a piece of pipe welded to the orginal exhaust pipe stubs to head. Kinda explains the move of the airbox to where I can't get the bottom off to get out the oil water muck.

Then I get some friends and beer and we go zerk and grease fitting hunting. I have a "zerk blaster" that you put solvent in for those zerks you hook the grease hose to and it won't take any grease. Did this on my pedal assembly on my Case 580B and it finally penetrated deep enough that I could follow the solvent with grease and push the solvent out of the gaps. Now the pedals are like new.  Originally you had to pull up the clutch pedal with your toe.... LOL

If you want to come down in the fall,  I have a guest room.  I try to work on it at night as 115 degree days don't work for me. I actually rigged up a 5 LED round light to the gas side that turns on with the original light switch. Love LED lights and Light Bars.  The original lights will all get replaced with LED's I put some LED's in my 1992 Ford 1120 and it is like day in front of it.  Put a 40 LED light bar that flips front to back under the roof of the Case 580B and you'd swear that lightning is just in front of you.  So bright when you flip it back you can see what your doing with the hoe.

Bart Hull

Laveen, AZ

On 7/12/2018 at 9:04 PM, Duey_C said:

Does the 554 have an electric main gas valve solenoid on the carb? The bottom of the 554 carb is way different than the old 502!

If so, perhaps you could jump 12 Volts to it to open that solenoid and allow gasoline for the carb?????

Pull the gas line, the "Gasoline Strainer" screen just inside and a screwdriver will (should) let you  pull the bottom of the carb and clean/check it. ??

A nylon zip tie would be a nice touch on the right side UP blade hose so the track doesn't eat that hose. 🙂

B style injector pump with the "potty" hose for the internal drippings. I've been itching to see one. Like!

When you're ready for Diesel cycle, drain the injector pump oil and remove that bottom cover on the injector pump and clean the snot out of the sump! 🙂

That's a bear on the 2 inside-row bolts next to the " pump support"...

Perhaps the side cover too. There's crud in there waiting. Piece of cake actually. Look to see IF anything is out of place.

I want to spend a few days out west and help you get that sweety humming!

Interesting Cat blade...

A single stack engine. I want to hear that one run! My older 502 UD-16 is a twin stacker. And they have a "sound"... Ahhh.

Don't forget about the fan shaft housing and generator mount grease. I'm still learning HOW to be certain the bearings are getting grease that isn't ancient.

Grease gets too hard to do anything any good after this long.

: - )

for the butterflies is your flipper spring intact.....hooked up....?  ...watch fingers...

Reach over the intake manifold with your fingers. You'll find that butterfly shaft.

Just a bit away from the center section you should find this:

Left finger should find the V/Y shaped part that allows the whole spring loaded butterfly shaft to "flip" back and forth and the flat finger from the rod from the bellcrank below.

The right finger should find the clamp that hooks the 2 shafts together.

Should be spring loaded in both directions when either in gas or Diesel cycles. It's fingertip precision. Flip flip with your index finger ends.

I checked my UD-16 502 a week or 3 ago to see and it's still all good.

Get some spray into the 4 spots in the manifold that the shaft rotates in. 2 on the inside/center section and two towards the ends. Should rotate easily.

Also look IN and UP just to the left of the top of the carb, right above the Y shaped bellcrank with the hex nut pivot. That bellcrank does the butterfly shaft switching business.

That butterfly shaft should have a bit of spring loaded play in both directions. Gas or Diesel. :-)

Hey. Look for this just for fun: Look just to the right of the carb, is there an upright spring in that mess of mechanisms on the block? That's the gas cycle latch mechanism.

Mine's filthy but works good!

There is a fella here that found his spring missing and it would not latch in gasoline cycle. He went to the store and is happy now. :-)

Hahaha! No one got hurt and nothing was wrecked? Ahhh. I bet THAT unloading incident felt like IF my 20,00 pound Galion motor grader with the UD-16 got loose on my hill driveway.

Yikes!

One Irishman to another, we get lucky sometimes! :-) Maybe a lot! : - )

Bart, I have more smarting off to do but that'll wait till the morrow. Have a great day!

Got the radiator, someone lost the pressure cap and filled in the cap space with solder.... LOL.   Some tank straps loose, but core holds water. I took it to 3 shops until I hit a Semi truck radiator place. They were equipped to pick this beast up and dunk it in their tank. Told them it was a 4psi radiator from a 1959 tractor so they wouldn't accidentally overpressurize it.

When I left I heard them laughing. I'm guessing they were flipping a coin to see who gets to work on this one.

Repair estimate due tomorrow.

I'm also looking for a twin size mattress as the spring pack for the bench seat is rusted badly and some coil ends are just razor sharp rusty ends that would poke through the new seat cover I'm making and poke me in the butt.  Top seat was just foam and is in great shape for being original. Just needs a new cover. 30 years ago I took auto upholstery in High School. I'm going to see how much I remember... (Youtube bench seat reupholstery videos may remind me if I did forget it.)

Almost getting cool enough in the evenings to work on the Gas / Diesel linkages.... I have a LED light to provide lots of light and it doesn't seem to draw bugs.

Can't wait to get radiator back and mounted so when it does light I can just keep it running and add water.

Soon, 

Bart D. Hull

Laveen, AZ

Yeah, watch those radiator guys.

Some shops refuse to listen when some fella brings a radiator for a model T Ford in and they wreck it when they put the psi's to it.

'Spose they don't know no other way and wreck stuff.

Glad to hear things are moving.

Keep hollering here if more questions. These fellows are a goldmine of info!

On 7/8/2018 at 4:00 PM, Duey_C said:

Keep working at it Bart.You'll get it. 86 here in MN and I wait for shade.

Have you  seen this book yet? M Diesel was kind enough to scan and post this.

I downloaded the pages and put them in a file. If you're on your phone, the pages would be right there when out working on it.

Wade thru the specifications pages and then look at the linkage adjustments. I've never had the need to adjust the linkage but I do give the pins some lube every so often.

Perhaps some PB Blaster or WD-40 on the joints. It does help. 🙂

I'm a UD-16 fella and am not familiar with the 554, it was a newer model of the 502 UD-16 and UD525 but with a bigger bore so probably the same or very similar...Keep us up to speed. 🙂

I don't know if it would be of help but perhaps see this thread. https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/115178-type-a-fuel-system-with-ud-16-care-and-feeding-notions/

Can this book be downloaded as one file? I'd like to look through it.

Bart D. Hull

Laveen, AZ

On 7/24/2018 at 1:03 AM, bdhull said:

The oil soaked mess between 2 and 3 was a upside down coil that had obviously overheated (bubbled bottom of coil) and spewed its oil on the coil to distributor wire.  Went in to AutoZone for a universal spark plug wire set as it was on $3 more than just a coil wire. Also got a coil there.  I bought proper spark plug terminal crimper pliers off of Amazon and did them right.

Not worried about the hoses right now as they are just shot. I think I'm going to bend some steel lines to get the lines out of harms way and only use rubber where needed. It has a Be Ge pump on the rear so I was going to fill that with ATF from my Toyota Tundra as flushing fluid (and to make sure some oil is in there.)  Oh yea, gotta weld bullet hold in Be Ge reservoir tank.

The oil in the injector pump was low but there and didn't look horrible. I drained the old oil and put in 20/50 Castrol. When it runs for a few hours all the oils will get flushed and replaced with the correct stuff.  Loved pulling the cover on my B275. It was a rack piston pump so you could see the stroke increase when you moved the throttle lever. Simple and cool to watch when running.

I think it was originally dual stack but exhaust manifold was replaced by a piece of pipe welded to the orginal exhaust pipe stubs to head. Kinda explains the move of the airbox to where I can't get the bottom off to get out the oil water muck.

Then I get some friends and beer and we go zerk and grease fitting hunting. I have a "zerk blaster" that you put solvent in for those zerks you hook the grease hose to and it won't take any grease. Did this on my pedal assembly on my Case 580B and it finally penetrated deep enough that I could follow the solvent with grease and push the solvent out of the gaps. Now the pedals are like new.  Originally you had to pull up the clutch pedal with your toe.... LOL

If you want to come down in the fall,  I have a guest room.  I try to work on it at night as 115 degree days don't work for me. I actually rigged up a 5 LED round light to the gas side that turns on with the original light switch. Love LED lights and Light Bars.  The original lights will all get replaced with LED's I put some LED's in my 1992 Ford 1120 and it is like day in front of it.  Put a 40 LED light bar that flips front to back under the roof of the Case 580B and you'd swear that lightning is just in front of you.  So bright when you flip it back you can see what your doing with the hoe.

Bart Hull

Laveen, AZ

I sure could use your help.  I'm getting it to fart and bang trying to start on gasoline with black puffs coming out of the exhaust pipe. It feels so close to starting.  Replaced points, condenser, wires and checked all plugs with a spark tester. (I used carbon car wires, would metal wires provide better spark?)

I'm thinking Im going to do more than just clean the float bowl on the carb, like pull the carb off and see if there is anything else that meters fuel.  The gasket for the float bowl was a mess. This carb has a manual shut off connected to the decompression system. (I might just disconnect that and just use the gascolator under the gas tank to shut off gas. The decompression lever was jammed behind the air cleaner and didn't pull all the way out as it should.  The air cleaner is mounted behind the injector pump over the diesel filters. It's mounts are under the exhaust pipe. (Not sure where original mounts were mounted, maybe just forward on the front two exhaust stacks instead of the middle two? That would put the air cleaner where it should be according to 554 engine pics.

Is this carb a common carb?  Where can I get a gasket kit for it?

Thanks

Bart D. Hull

Laveen, AZ

Well, I'm getting closer.

I found out a F8 starting carb kit will give me the needle, seat and all orings and gaskets except for the base gasket. My base just has two large holes and a butterfly in each hole. One butterfly goes to choke rod and the other looks like it's some kind of constant velocity setup with a screw to adjust spring tension and another screw to adjust how far it will allow the butterfly to close.  Very different from a normal F8 carb.  Wonder what this thing is called properly?  I'm guessing it is the larger cousin to the F8 and a little bit fancier with the constant velocity butterfly instead of just a plate.  Both butterflies were stuck (Choke one worked with effort on choke rod, other butterfly hasn't moved in years.)

Going to soak in Chem-Dip carb cleaner to make everything clean and work smoothly again.  Check float level. (It blew black when it tried to start before, but it may have been the stuck butterfly acting as a 2nd choke.)

Any other suggestions or knowledge about this starting carb?

Thanks

Bart D. Hull

480-452-9208