Has Anyone Here Restored a Steiger?

I almost bought one a few years ago. I wanted to restore it (it needed major engine work, or replacement), paint it up real cool, put a big ol chrome pipe on it, and pull parade floats and stuff. Really only didn't do it because I didn't have a barn big enough and it would be a waste to do all that and leave it outside.

Anyway, they don't seem like a popular tractor for restorers. Maybe they're not old enough yet? Maybe they're too expensive to move? IDK, but I love the Steiger story, and I love their totally non-traditional bright green color. 

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, jflaw92 said:

My uncle's just got done repainting a A-C 440 which is a steiger painted orange. It took up the a lot of room when they tore it down and had to borrow a bucket truck from a phone or power company to get the cab off. 

I saw one of them for sale in Wisconsin about a year ago. Was thinking that would be a real cool one to do!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/1/2019 at 11:35 PM, Dels1566 said:

Here’s one I know of for sale

1EB5C176-E0EF-43EC-A52C-09163BD48E25.jpeg

Is it near SD? If so, having it hauled to me in CNY might cost a fortune. What does it need?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 12:09 PM, KWRB said:

Is it near SD? If so, having it hauled to me in CNY might cost a fortune. What does it need?

Are you serious about this tractor he said needs engine 

15 hours ago, Dels1566 said:

Are you serious about this tractor he said needs engine 

I probably couldn't even consider it because of the cost of transporting to me. Thanks for the heads up though!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2019 at 11:42 PM, TroyDairy said:

That Welker Farms on youtube has did 4 big buds iirc.  Them big tractors sure look simple actually 

3 actually.  A Series 1 N-14 435 (originally HN-250), Series 2 KTA-525 (originally KT-450), Series 3 600/50 (originally 525/50).  The series 3 they are actually in the process of finishing right now.  They also have an 1150 Versatile that they bought solely for the engine and pulled it for in one of their Big Buds, the series 2 I believe.  They are great guys that I follow online.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 6:40 PM, Doug in NY said:

I am sorry to hijack but I have a question.  How would one of these big ole gals do pushing snow?  Or is push different than pulling a plow and they would not do well?  Thanks

There were lots used on dozers for snow too. Like anything else, use a little discretion & they will do ok.

• 2 months later...