leeave96

IH, July 4th and 1976

Happy July 4th to everyone!!!

1976 - anyone remember the Bicentennial Year celebration in the US ?  I remember it very well.  Such great pride was shown that year for this country and all it had been through and accomplished to that date.

Remember the Bicentennial Farms?  There was (and still is) a local farm with a Bicentennial Farm plaque at the gate not to far from here.

Seems like a lot has changed since that year in our country.  Some good and some not so good.

A few days ago, I posted a few questions about the Black Stripe IH tractors.  I think I read an older thread/post regarding them and someone said that IH sold a LOT of those black stripe tractors in 1976.

In 1976, I loved to window shop and/or read the ads and brochures for the Scout II.  In 1976, “Anything less was just a car.”

What intrigues me about the Black Stripe tractors is they were for the most part a 1976 model tractor and a reminder/stake in the ground (for me) of some very good times and a LOT of national pride in the US.

What were you doing on or about July 4th 1976?  Hopefully it was a good year.

Anyone take delivery of an IH Black Stripe Tractor in 1976?

Hope everyone has a HAPPY JULY 4th !!!!!!

Happy 4th to all. Never had a BS tractor but do have a Scout with that very saying on a bumper sticker on the back. 😀

that was the year dad bought his first new tractor...….. a black stripe 966, got it that spring and had a yearround cab installed on it the following year. if we still had that tractor the cab would be gone and back to an open station.

Yep I remember 1976 and on July 17 this came home with me. $6400 out the door.

scout spirit of 76.png

6 hours ago, leeave96 said:

Happy July 4th to everyone!!!

1976 - anyone remember the Bicentennial Year celebration in the US ?  I remember it very well.  Such great pride was shown that year for this country and all it had been through and accomplished to that date.

Remember the Bicentennial Farms?  There was (and still is) a local farm with a Bicentennial Farm plaque at the gate not to far from here.

Seems like a lot has changed since that year in our country.  Some good and some not so good.

A few days ago, I posted a few questions about the Black Stripe IH tractors.  I think I read an older thread/post regarding them and someone said that IH sold a LOT of those black stripe tractors in 1976.

In 1976, I loved to window shop and/or read the ads and brochures for the Scout II.  In 1976, “Anything less was just a car.”

What intrigues me about the Black Stripe tractors is they were for the most part a 1976 model tractor and a reminder/stake in the ground (for me) of some very good times and a LOT of national pride in the US.

What were you doing on or about July 4th 1976?  Hopefully it was a good year.

Anyone take delivery of an IH Black Stripe Tractor in 1976?

Hope everyone has a HAPPY JULY 4th !!!!!!

I wasn't around in 76 (1979 model year) but there was some neat things that year.   The coolest and please don't kick me off the board for this was the Case 1570 Spirit of 76 tractors.  They look so cool!  

That said, I think you should buy yourself a BS tractor just cause!  :) 

augjayindexpic.jpg

augjaypic8.jpg

Watched the tall ships on television looking forward to  the birth of our oldest son which occurred on July 17.

1 hour ago, B.B. said:

I wasn't around in 76 (1979 model year) but there was some neat things that year.   The coolest and please don't kick me off the board for this was the Case 1570 Spirit of 76 tractors.  They look so cool!  

That said, I think you should buy yourself a BS tractor just cause!  :) 

augjayindexpic.jpg

augjaypic8.jpg

I just saw my friend driving his into town, I'm sure for a parade.

A Good year, oldest son was born February 12, 1976. Born on  Abe Lincoln's birthday. He's Almost as tall as Lincoln @ 6'3" &  shoe size 13 . 

1 hour ago, Vanstractors said:

Didn't get them in 76 but I too  am very enamored with the  Blackstripes.Here is the 7 and 10 got a 14 to do yet.

IMG_5290.JPG

Those are beautiful!  Well done! 

1 hour ago, Vanstractors said:

Didn't get them in 76 but I too  am very enamored with the  Blackstripes.Here is the 7 and 10 got a 14 to do yet.

IMG_5290.JPG

Doesn’t get much better than that!

Anyone remember the freedom train that ran around the country that year?  

We saw it on a class trip when it came through Vt. I remember the liberty bell or a replica of it on the train. 

I remember wanting my Mom to go see it because I knew it was a once in a lifetime event 

Stolen from Dying Breed Diesels on facebook

36587298_413433992472687_8128721448769421312_n.jpg

Actually I was working on 4 July 1976. I was on my fist hitch in Germany and we were on a border mission that day (patrols along the Iron Curtain). Has been in Germany about 6 weeks, 1st tour and 1st border mission. Did have a BBQ and steak from the mess hall. But thank God no fireworks!

Rick

I was 11....im sure we went to a parade tho not sure which one. 

I had just turned 6 months old so I don't remember anything from 76

I was about 23, single and thirsty. The party lasted three days. Would crawl home at sunup and back to town by noon.

It was dryer than dust that year in SD and a lot of farmers took the BIG HIT. We lost many and this was about the time that farming became a real business.

It was before but just working hard was not enough any more. Very little new of anything was sold in our area that year. Things of course got better but the landscape changed with fewer farmers.

The bi-centennial was a great time with people being respectful and proud to be Americans. It was a party!

I had just graduated from college, was lucky to get back on hauling cement like I had the summer before. Started dating my wife about a month before July 4th.  A neighbor of someone Mom worked with planted a 3 or 4 acre field of flowers in red, white, and blue like Old Glory, the US flag that year, I remember Mom, Dad, and I went to see that around July 4th.

15 hours ago, Eason said:

Yep I remember 1976 and on July 17 this came home with me. $6400 out the door.

scout spirit of 76.png

I picked up a copy of the Scout Encyclopedia at RPRU and was reading it today and saw this Scout in there. The caption didn’t say it was yours. Thanks for adding to the story!

No that's not mine.  Mine looked exactly like that. Mine's in pieces right ready to be restored.  I borrowed the picture. Eason