Paul 300 U

Engine racing after carb rebuild

Hello all,  

Tractor was stalling unless choked and long story short decided to rebuild carb. Flushed gas tank. Also replaced gaskets,  float valve etc,  added correct fueline filter. 

Carb is very difficult to remove had to cut a wrench down to about 3 inches long to get to bolts.....  a bit frustrated because i can't seem to get what i guess is the shaft to the governor line up correctly with the carb.  ( I should add that i finally got it all back together and happy she started right up but it runs wide open regardless of where the throttle is set). 

I see that apparently there is a what I will call a horizontal post protruding from the governor that is supposed line up with the carb. Is there a secret to getting this to line up correctly? Does that post have a specific place to fit into?

I have inserted a picture where you can see the horizontal tube that i assume comes from the governor going into the carb. The protruding horizontal post is inside the tube in the circled area. 

I'm running out of vacation quick and i appreciate the help!

Paul 

20180701_211202.jpg

There is a tab sticking out of the horizontal shaft which in turn fits in to a corresponding notch on the carb. Separate the connection and look and see. Its not hard to line them up.

Yes there is! Dad and I had the same problem on his 300 farmall many years ago. You have to remove the carb and try to get the arm between two arms on the carb shaft. Tricky, but can be done. You may be able to try to move the butterfly to verify that the arms are in the right place. (It's been a long time ago!) Just be carful that you do not pull sideways or down on the tube to much. If pulled to far or the weight of the carb is dropped on it, the vertical shaft in the governor will be bent just below the clevis.

Good Luck!

I dunno, I never thought it was particularly tricky. There was always enough wiggle in the governor tube that you could line it up then slide the carb up into place any time I've done it.

Don't know about tractors but I rebuilt a carb off a 6 speed special and not paying close attention I put the throttle plate in upside down. Caused the engine to run fast. Turned it over and it worked fine.

Dennis

Thanks for the feedback. Gonna take another crack at it today. Sounds like I'm going to have to completely remove the carb again vs just loosening . Was hoping to avoid that since it's a bit of a battle to get lined up, nuts started etc. 

Right now the protruding  post is at 6 o'clock and the slot is at about 8 o'clock. As soon as i get it close to lining up and reassemble gravity takes over and pulls the post back down to 6. Thought there might be a system other than repeated attempts (and repeated failure!) to completing what should be a simple task. 

Thanks,  Paul

5 minutes ago, Paul 300 U said:

Thanks for the feedback. Gonna take another crack at it today. Sounds like I'm going to have to completely remove the carb again vs just loosening . Was hoping to avoid that since it's a bit of a battle to get lined up, nuts started etc. 

Right now the protruding  post is at 6 o'clock and the slot is at about 8 o'clock. As soon as i get it close to lining up and reassemble gravity takes over and pulls the post back down to 6. Thought there might be a system other than repeated attempts (and repeated failure!) to completing what should be a simple task. 

Thanks,  Paul

patience....  use to do these at least 1x a month ...been 30 years.... there is combination of moving throttle to where it needs to be and/or also loosen the tube end,as a last resort different combination of bolt/studs

Slot is much easier to move than the post. Plus the post protrudes and you can see it engaging the slot before the carb and tube are pushed completely together.

also the tube has some slack on the flange end and can be a little off center causing it to drag on the shaft, you can tap it up, down, or sideways, to center it before you tighten it up all the way.

10 hours ago, mmi said:

patience....  use to do these at least 1x a month ...been 30 years.... there is combination of moving throttle to where it needs to be and/or also loosen the tube end,as a last resort different combination of bolt/studs

"Moving the throttle", was the technique needed! I guess I probably should know that but after reading this post  I moved  the throttle to mid point and it helped  me get the post much closer to its target. 

Also, out of desperation I removed the cover from the housing on the governor on the left side of the shaft exposing a lever of sorts (kind of hard to see in pic)20180702_115857.thumb.jpg.f628d2e0e3a64b0ed0a0c68665a72318.jpg that rotated the shaft. Combined with moving the throttle allowed me to line it all up! 

Tractor fired right up and i got a little grass cut! 

Thanks everyone for getting me through yet another repair. More to come I'm sure.  

Paul