Sign in to follow this  
planejeff

Compact tractor

What is the overall opinion of Cub Cadet compact tractors. I have seen to used ones on internet 7260, 6284, and 7234. I have a friend of mine that had a compact tractor in early 2000's model it was in the shop or garage than being used. I don't see them much around mostly orange and green ones!  I am sure that availability is the reason for no tractors just lawn equipment.

The Deere 4310 4x4 has proven to be reliable for my old farmer buddy, he uses it for general maintenance and garden work. Has a FEL that is very handy.

I frequented the website "Green Tractor Talk", about 75-80% subcompact tractor owners. Was lots of complaints I thought, models 1023E, 1025R, 1026R.  The prior models of that size seemed to survive novice owners better.  The rearend castings are diecastings, not cast iron, not even a good place to bolt on a drawbar!, some grease zerks were almost impossible to service.  Some guys had good luck but they were in the minority.

I looked at the comparable C/IH model at my local dealer and it was a REAL tractor, cast iron castings, better serviceability. I forget who made Cub Cadet's compacts, maybe Yanmar?

Depending on what your usage would be, I'd look for a small 74, or 84 series utility tractor, live pto, live hyd, power steering, a real tractor.

The first Cub Cadet compacts were Mitsibushi based off the discontinued CaseIH compacts then Cub Cadet went with Yanmar.

yes, the first cub cadet compacts were mitsibishi, then some were made my kioti, then the ones to stay away from are the MTD built cub cadet compacts.then they went yanmar,now nothing.