454 Diesel

I picked up this tractor six months or so ago. Had some almost immediate transmission problems which saw the tractor split not once but twice. Finally the second time around the guy knew what he was doing and it now runs fine. 

While the roof was off I took the opportunity to paint it and some of the loader arm. 

I know it's not the right red but it looks better than the existing green. 

Plan is to get rid of all the green with red and depending how much is left in the red tin do the original tractor parts red and white as well. 

And hopefully stickers after paint so I know what lever does what ?.

20180629_174007.jpg

20180629_173945.jpg

• Like 1

We have run a 464 diesel with all mechanical gears except PTO, for the past 11 years in the US a 464 is basically a 454 with a different number on the hood.  My favorite feature is the very short wheel base it has and can turn in it's own length.  We use it for pasture mowing here in North Texas.  It is fast and nimble with good PTO power for a 6 foot shredder in heavy brush.

Glad to see you finally got your machine operational.  Paint looks good and it is not all beaten up.

........good old tractors.......lots around here still.......always room for a small unit on the farm

......looks like you could do with some of this seemingly  incessant   rain we are currently having.....bloody cold out feeding cattle ......for our little country

Mike

• 1 month later...

Here's today's instalment of "I have an old tractor with a front end loader".

Broken stub axle. 

Easily removed, now to find a replacement. Good to find that they are available aftermarket, although a second hand part from a tractor without a loader will do if I can find one. 

20180814_181716.jpg

20180814_123747.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I was doing some work on a decent slope, and I turned right facing down the slope, all the weight went through the front left corner. 

All fixed now.  Old tractors with aftermarket front end loaders on the standard front axles, it had probably been cracked for a long time and just cried enough.

Lucky I had the bucket on the front I drove it back up to the house with the front wheel in the bucket and the bucket sliding flat on the ground :).

Yeah we are in spring the green is starting to come through the brown.  Everything is very dry though, we have not had any rain to speak of.

We are only hobby/lifestyle farmers with 13 acres.  We moved away from the city to have more room and more space around us.  We have 7 dogs (show dogs, our main hobby), 4 alpacas, 2 lambs (currently 4 weeks old) and 1 goat to keep the fields low (if they grow this year, it's *very* dry).

The tractor has been very useful, but while we have river frontage we only have water rights for domestic and stock use.  If we wanted to plant crops and irrigate we would need to purchase an additional water licence.

I am going to get one of the locals here to dig us a dam in the 7 acre back field to keep water up to the stock.  I will just buy a small pump and run it once a month to keep the dam full from the river, our land is very flat and with not much rain to speak of there will be little or no useful run off for the dam.

I am still learning many things for our new rural lifestyle, the main thing I have become quite proficient at is fencing (to keep our beasts in and others' out).

17 hours ago, TonyMax said:

Yeah we are in spring the green is starting to come through the brown.  Everything is very dry though, we have not had any rain to speak of.

We are only hobby/lifestyle farmers with 13 acres.  We moved away from the city to have more room and more space around us.  We have 7 dogs (show dogs, our main hobby), 4 alpacas, 2 lambs (currently 4 weeks old) and 1 goat to keep the fields low (if they grow this year, it's *very* dry).

The tractor has been very useful, but while we have river frontage we only have water rights for domestic and stock use.  If we wanted to plant crops and irrigate we would need to purchase an additional water licence.

I am going to get one of the locals here to dig us a dam in the 7 acre back field to keep water up to the stock.  I will just buy a small pump and run it once a month to keep the dam full from the river, our land is very flat and with not much rain to speak of there will be little or no useful run off for the dam.

I am still learning many things for our new rural lifestyle, the main thing I have become quite proficient at is fencing (to keep our beasts in and others' out).

Sound like you are getting everything under control.  The  454 should be a good fit for your land.