Hoist on grain truck

amsashooter

In my looking around for a grain truck, I've come across many interesting things. So here is my question. 

Is this hoist installed correctly? To me it seems upside down and backwards?

00z0z_1kBsjODtZSf_1200x900.jpg

01313_8oZ1TRs3iPD_1200x900.jpg

It does look different, but it does raise box. The hoists I've seen always had cylinders  pushing from bottom up.

Look at the bottom mounting to the frame, it has saddles for the main long sills of the box to set in, and they are part of the hoist, so yes, it's installed correctly.  I've seen several other styles of hoists setup like that.

That's a nice truck.  Whats it got for engine/transmission?

That looks similar to the Scott level lift hoist in our silage truck. Slightly more stable than a normal hoist supposedly 

43 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Look at the bottom mounting to the frame, it has saddles for the main long sills of the box to set in, and they are part of the hoist, so yes, it's installed correctly.  I've seen several other styles of hoists setup like that.

That's a nice truck.  Whats it got for engine/transmission?

It's a Craigslist posting that I just happened to see. Not mine. But it does look nice

https://marshall.craigslist.org/grd/d/1975-ford-f750-grain-truck/6621322291.html

?

You can mount them either way. Most have cylinder pushing up from bottom. But som hoists like Scott are that way. One thing backwards like that it maybe clears something down that it would bottom out on. The saddles usually can be moved around

Hydrovac brakes mean its a gasser, likely a 391. Good engine but thirsty! It wouldn't make 5 MPG. A buddy had one just like that with a crane on it and barely made 2! Last trip he went 99 miles on 100 gallons, junked the whole thing after that.

Thats a nice truck. I wonder what trans is in it? Must be a 5x2 type of situation.

9 hours ago, R Pope said:

Hydrovac brakes mean its a gasser, likely a 391. Good engine but thirsty! It wouldn't make 5 MPG. A buddy had one just like that with a crane on it and barely made 2! Last trip he went 99 miles on 100 gallons, junked the whole thing after that.

My Cousin made a living running an L800 tandem dump around part time while still farming. I forget exactly what it had for transmission but had a 391 with a bigger 4-bbl carb.  Think it was 5+4 trans.  Would really rattle windows running up thru the gears.  Both my cousins had an aversion to mufflers.

He did eventually upgrade to a diesel,  sharp looking but well used Pete.

Archived