100,000th Farmall

FARMALL51

Standing next to the 100,000th Farmall tractor .

Cyrus McCormick III riding the 100,000th Farmall tractor off the Farmall Works assembly line. The tractor was painted silver to mark the occasion. At the front of the line is Superintendent E.H. Sohner.

35433275_1840087842717230_60385946666459

35508738_1840087902717224_66040138526003

35488777_1840087912717223_31716486730922

• Like 2

That's pretty neat. Impressive that in 1930 IH already had 100,000 tractors built! Didn't know that tractor still existed. Are any other "milestone" tractors still around?

504, I never cease to be impressed and amazed at the research and effort you put in. Thank you for your dedication and for sharing it all with all of us!

thats really cool. The amount do reflection on that tractor in the old photo it looks like it was chromed. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ST-470 said:

That's pretty neat. Impressive that in 1930 IH already had 100,000 tractors built! Didn't know that tractor still existed. Are any other "milestone" tractors still around?

By 1930 IH probably had built 200,000 tractors, maybe more.  This is the 100,000th Farmall "Regular" tractor. 

7 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Is this the same "silver Regular" that was on display at Montgomery??

Somebody had a picture posted, but no comments.

DD

Yes. It is currently owned by fellow forum member Old F-20. 

Nice!

2 hours ago, FarmallFan said:

Yes. It is currently owned by fellow forum member Old F-20. 

Would be great to hear more about this old Regular's history once it left the assembly line.

How long has Old F-20 owned this tractor-------where did he find it-----had it always been maintained as a show tractor, etc.......

My dad most likely knew a number of the people in the picture.  And-----probably was familiar with this tractor.  He was the early Farmall dealer here locally------then went to work with Harvester working out of Chicago promoting the Farmall across the southeast.

Am thinking he left Harvester in 1930 or so to come back home and "farm with the Farmalls".

Delta Dirt  (Avon Ms  38723)

22 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Would be great to hear more about this old Regular's history once it left the assembly line.

How long has Old F-20 owned this tractor-------where did he find it-----had it always been maintained as a show tractor, etc.......

My dad most likely knew a number of the people in the picture.  And-----probably was familiar with this tractor.  He was the early Farmall dealer here locally------then went to work with Harvester working out of Chicago promoting the Farmall across the southeast.

Am thinking he left Harvester in 1930 or so to come back home and "farm with the Farmalls".

Delta Dirt  (Avon Ms  38723)

Ryan said he bought it out of a fencerow, along with a bunch of other tractors that the seller wanted gone. the only reason it didn't go into his parts row was that the engine was free, and he thought it might have potential. only later did he look at the serial number.

I did not find much on the 100,000th Farmall Regular in my search on internet------but did find an interesting article on a Regular restored by Harold Sohner (nephew of Superintendent Sohner in the 1930 picture).

And-----the article has a full list of serial numbers year by year (month by month). 

Not able to copy the link here from my cell phone tonight-------but will get it posted when working from my real computer.

Thanks for the feed back NY Bill O.

DD

1 hour ago, Delta Dirt said:

I did not find much on the 100,000th Farmall Regular in my search on internet------but did find an interesting article on a Regular restored by Harold Sohner (nephew of Superintendent Sohner in the 1930 picture).

And-----the article has a full list of serial numbers year by year (month by month). 

Not able to copy the link here from my cell phone tonight-------but will get it posted when working from my real computer.

Thanks for the feed back NY Bill O.

DD

The two Photos I posted Is about all I have found on the tractor ( Original Photos ) . But there was a article in Red Power Magazine a few issues ago . 

14 hours ago, Farmall504#20 said:

The two Photos I posted Is about all I have found on the tractor ( Original Photos ) . But there was a article in Red Power Magazine a few issues ago . 

Nov/Dec 2017 issue.

On 6/19/2018 at 9:52 PM, ST-470 said:

well, there is the 5 millionth that is in Montana....and CNH owns the very last Farmall off the line........so there's two at least.

Interesting article  on Harold Sohner's 1927 Farmall Regular-------------including list of serial numbers by year and month, and specifications

http://www.tractorfriends.org/farmtractors/haroldsregular/haroldstractor.html

I am impressed with all of the information included in the above link.  Mr. Sohner (superintendent in the 100,000th Farmall picture) was Harold Sohner's grandfather's brother.  And----------apparently the grandfather worked in the Farmall plant also.  (hoping I don't have the generations out of step)

Does anyone know Harold Sohner---------is he a member here on the RedPower Forum???

I am also posting this link under a new topic heading:   Farmall Regular information

Alot of good information for anyone interested in the Farmall Regular.

Picture below is my dad on left and uncle on the right crossplowing cotton (circa 1925) here in Washington County, Mississippi.

92008725_FarmallphotoAHS_uncGordon_1925A.jpg.8145fd9331090520f2533e850746becb.jpg

Delta Dirt   (Avon  Ms  38723)

• 1 year later...
This needs to be cleared up.  If the very first Farmall was indeed serial# 501 then this guy has the 100,001st tractor. Serial# 501 plus 99,999 more tractors equals serial #100,500. Am I wrong? If I'm correct then this guy is either really confused or really deceitful. This is simple 2nd grade math. Was the very first Farmall serial #501? Does any one know?  I don't believe the 100,000th Farmall would be rotting in a hedge row.

Delta, great picture of two early regular tractors with the early seat mount and part of a flannel shirt for an air cleaner. That must have been a big field of cotton.

9 hours ago, Randy Van Horn said:
This needs to be cleared up.  If the very first Farmall was indeed serial# 501 then this guy has the 100,001st tractor. Serial# 501 plus 99,999 more tractors equals serial #100,500. Am I wrong? If I'm correct then this guy is either really confused or really deceitful. This is simple 2nd grade math. Was the very first Farmall serial #501? Does any one know?  I don't believe the 100,000th Farmall would be rotting in a hedge row.

There are two groups who do the math on the serial number and what they conclude. I am going off the fact this was found not even a 20 minute drive from the factory, still had silver paint on it and as almost zero wear on any of the components. You are welcome to stop at any time and look it over for yourself.

There are pictures of '100k' at the ceremony at the plant alongside Regular #503 which was the first one sold to an end user. The signs they had say this tractor is 99,999 ahead of the 100k, but its 503 so does that make the one on display 100503 or 100504?? who really knows

The tractor is what it is and lived where it lived, im not trying to deceive anyone

0305005279-l.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Randy Van Horn said:

IH serial numbers start at 501 not 1 - there is not 500 tractors before 501

17 hours ago, Randy Van Horn said:

Yes, serial 501 PLUS 99,999 equals 100,500. We start counting at 1, not zero, so serial 100,500 is the 100,000th tractor built.

18 hours ago, Randy Van Horn said:

Randy, why not? Back in the day when guys were getting rid of the old F series few if any were collecting tractors like that. And if sold to a faremrs and used in the field they wouldn't be aware of any particular or future interest in something like that. Heck back in the late 60's and very early 70's it was common for the early "pullers" to dispose of the stock engine in a F and install a V8 to take to the county fair. Hardly anyone was going to "destroy" a modern tractor to make a puller. So when something like that would have been retired and the dealer didn't want it because it was it wasn't salable what to do? Few is any collectors. So no market? So fence row it is. Look at that 150 HP Case steam tractor. They built something like 6 or 8. Because there were problems with them production ceased and they were ALL scrapped out. The shows that many of us enjoy today. Look at the names of some of the clubs. Something Threshing/Threshermans whatever. And most of those didn't get off the ground until the mid to late 60's or sometime in the 70's. Collecting antique tractors did not become popular until after that. So yea, what's considered very collectible today wound up in fence rows. How many Gold Demos didn't survive because no one knew? 

Rick

I went back to the Nov-Dec 2017 Red Power issue to revisit the article. Well written and nothing deceitful about it IMHO

hopefully BJ is ok with a scan of the article (if not delete the post please )- consider it a teaser for all that don't subscribe to Red Power

10 6.jpg

10 5.jpg

10 4.jpg

10 3.jpg

10 2.jpg

10 1.jpg

• Like 1