Nccattle

1586 Hydraulic Issues

In recently found a 1586 that had been sitting for 10 years. All the hydraulic oil was out of it. I have done many repairs and put in new Hytran and filter. When I hooked up the Rb455 Baler it was really slow picking up tailgate.  I proceeded to drain fluid and find that main hitch pump was bad, Mcv seems to be fine. I am wanting to go to a 17gpm pump possibly with piggyback pump if you  have any recommendations. I want tractor to steer and have good brake pressure at all times. Also want to know what else I need to do and where I should get parts from?

Thanks ahead for the responses

Are you aware that the steering pump is a a different system than the rear lift/hydraulics?   Changing the main pump to higher flow will not affect steering at all.    Good that the MCV (Steering/ TA) seems OK.   That pump is often a problem.

Make sure you put the teflon ring in when you install the new main pump...goes between the rear end casting and the pump plate.   Pretty common for oring to leak there and lose pressure/flow.    I've always just gone with OEM parts... too critical to go with cheap.    Even the smaller main pump should work just fine for cylinders...usually the large size is only needed for motors, etc.  People talk about installing the oversize pump, but my question is is the rest of the system capable of handling that flow...valves have a maximum flow, as does the couplers.   Example: A single valve may only flow 10gpm--going from a 12 to 17gpm pump won't help that function work faster.  Now, if you need 2 valves open at once, then the 17gpm would make them both work faster....

Yes sir I am aware that mcv pump is for the steering as well as the brakes I am asking should I upgrade the mcv along with the main hitch pump upgrade. 

I have the 17gpm pump on my 186 and it's plenty snappy on most things... it will definitely pop the tailgate open on that little baler. I know some guys put a piggyback pump on but after using the the 17 I don't feel it's necessary. 

When you install higher flow pumps you are also increasing the flow that must come through the filter. If not enough oil can flow through the filter the bypass valve will open and you will be drawing unfiltered oil into the pumps.

I have replaced Main hitch pump with a new 17gpm also went thru Mcv, hydraulic valve and piece under fuel tank and it still lifts tailgate on baler slow. Not sure what else I need to try. Thanks for all your help. 

2 hours ago, Nccattle said:

I have replaced Main hitch pump with a new 17gpm also went thru Mcv, hydraulic valve and piece under fuel tank and it still lifts tailgate on baler slow. Not sure what else I need to try. Thanks for all your help. 

You checked the relief valve under the fuel tank?  My 1086 wouldn't run anything unless you were wide open. Had a few people say you need a new hitch pump but it ended up being my relief valve was sticking. 

I took apart relief valve didn't see anything wrong with it but had no way to check pressure. Probably gonna start there and replace that now! 

try different couplers?? make sure you got 2500 psi relief valve or 2400psi

Did you try it on both remotes? The lever linkages get worn and sloppy and won't move the valve all the way.