Sign in to follow this  
MTO

Before I buy one...

does anyone run/use a small lawn tractor with a rear bagger? 

Thinking of buying a used one for a few hundred dollars just to gather up all the grass my A leaves all over the yard. 

Not a powered grass vacuum, just an old riding mower with rear bagger.

Do they work worth a crap?

Something liike this...

Not if the grass is long or wet.  If you cut often they work OK. My mother had a Deere with one of those baggers.  The blast from the mower has to push the clippings up the tube.  Having the correct blades makes a difference too.

A lot of my neighbors  down the road from me have them. You know ones like that and big box store ones.  I'll just say given this years wetter than ever spring their lawns look much nicer than mine.:unsure:  Course they cut about every three days.....

I have a Cub Cadet RZT and it will not blow the grass up into the bagger. They show two different styles of blades and it doesn't make much difference. If you mow it one day and come back the next and go over it again then the grass will be dry enough it will push it up all the way. Pretty disappointed because  a bagger is what wifey wanted. Some other brands have blowers to help and I may try to figure a way to adapt to mine.

Mother in law has a JD that she does'nt use any more. Like Rawleigh said the tube will plug with grass and leaves if the material is too wet and or long. If buying a used one make sure the tube and where it connects to the deck is in very good condition nothing broke, rotted or bent. If your clippings aren't too thick leave it lay to add organic material to your soil. 

I`d be gathering grass AFTER cutting with the A. 

I could even let it sit a day after mowing.

My back is tired of hand raking. 

And pull behind sweepers suck. 

They work ok if you mow often or go really slow. Should work fine after mowing with the a unless really thick, might need to let it dry then. 

Mom has bagged with a 2186 for years and we bagged with our farm store one and now a 2185

Last year I bought a new JD X734 60 inch deck and the biggest rear basket. First bagger I've ever owned and now I would never be without one. Our lawn looks much healthier and no brown clippings on top after a couple days. It is a pain to have to stop and dump but the results are well worth it. 

Jerry

It'll work good for you.  We actually had that same tiny craftsman mower in your picture....in about 1988?  And my grandfather had the twin to it, with a bagger. Think he put 10,000 hr on it. Try that on an similarly priced  economy mower of  today.   

You’ll spend more time unplugging the chute than mowing 

8 hours ago, SMOKER 1 said:

Last year I bought a new JD X734 60 inch deck and the biggest rear basket. First bagger I've ever owned and now I would never be without one. Our lawn looks much healthier and no brown clippings on top after a couple days. It is a pain to have to stop and dump but the results are well worth it. 

Jerry

Is the X734 the latest version of the old 318?

2 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Is the X734 the latest version of the old 318?

Nothing alike at all except for power steering. 

Jerry

Oregon brand "Gator blades" help cut clippings finer if available for that mower.

Well, I think I found a solution on CL.

Now I need to start a GoFundMe page to raise the $4k.

Who wants to be first?

00S0S_11C5vHrlQEm_1200x900.jpg

39 minutes ago, MTO said:

Well, I think I found a solution on CL.

Now I need to start a GoFundMe page to raise the $4k.

Who wants to be first?

00S0S_11C5vHrlQEm_1200x900.jpg

Well, seems though if you took the Redgreen approach you could build on a lot cheaper.

1st- go to the local market, hardware store etc around 1am and hook their dumpster to your tow truck. 

2nd- take that leaf blower you think you’re gonna use one day, but just haven’t found anything to use it on, 

Now, with some creative use of duct tape, ( if you have to purchase duct tape don’t go to the store you “ found” the dumpster at)

With any luck between scavenging these items and actually finding the ambition to put it together, you could have this done and operating in, what, 6 weeks?

😎