Scottsslicks

1943 TD 14 Canopy

I am new to the forum after recently acquiring a TD14 project. Does anyone know if this canopy is original to the machine. I have seen various pictures of surviving machines an have not seen one with this feature. It looks like it was always on the machine. Thanks

358D49AC-CEF7-40AD-9EEA-46F9FF7A35F0.jpeg

94D27B03-C477-4A61-A0D1-5B74A18B5F2D.jpeg

I don’t think that it was making very many canopies in 1943. Most were made locally after the machine reached its first owner.

It looks like a pretty stout canopy.  A lot of the early ones would barely stop brush without falling apart. I have never seen a factory canopy or a picture of  one for that vintage tractor. In the early 1970's I was working in a mine running D8-H and D9-G Cats of the early 60's vintage. They had canopies made by Fleco and they were not ROPS.

DWF

.....odd that it has a big off-set to starboard...perhaps  to limit water from finding its way into the hydraulics ??.....not that handsome.....and those sweeps  wouldn't  take much punishment  in logging country.......the old tractor has done an hour or so , though, judging  by the  wear on the grousers....did it mount the low-bed  under its own power ?

Mike

....to answer my own question.....the tractor has the blade chained up...so it wasn't going !

the "sweeps" as u delicately describe them,        could be more of a decoration :P

Maybe just to keep branches from whipping you in the face.  Overall it might not be pretty, but it is functional to an extent and is certainly safer than nothing!

Unfortunately this machine is seized, I have been following his progress on the Facebook group International Harvester Crawlers. Hopefully he can get it freed up and running before long, the clutches are stuck as well.  

Here's a shot of my '43.  It was built for the Army so doubt if the ROPS (canopy) was an aftermarket installation.

Vic

134.jpg

Nice looking canopy, but I don't think I'd want to be in it if the dozer rolled over.

DWF

DWF, I agree!  Here's a shot of my '53 -14A with the same basic design.  I wouldn't trust either one of them.  They both are used only for plowing my driveway in winter.  I always go straight up snowbanks, never sideways.

Vic

225.JPG

The yellow one is definitely a Pullman-Isaacson dozer..........the red one looks similar but not identical.. Is it a P-I also?

A pic of mine---1504196724_2006-11-14Dugout013(Medium).jpg.b0e52741079ca54e8489ed52c99e57f3.jpg

Mike

On 6/18/2018 at 7:49 AM, Rawleigh99 said:

Maybe just to keep branches from whipping you in the face.  Overall it might not be pretty, but it is functional to an extent and is certainly safer than nothing!

They don't work that way!  The front right brace drags a snow laden branch forward enough to dump a bunch in my face when it cuts loose.  Each year I try and trim the branches along the driveway that I think will get me and every year I find out which ones I missed.

Vic

2 hours ago, mikem said:

The yellow one is definitely a Pullman-Isaacson dozer..........the red one looks similar but not identical.. Is it a P-I also?

A pic of mine---1504196724_2006-11-14Dugout013(Medium).jpg.b0e52741079ca54e8489ed52c99e57f3.jpg

Mike

I've never heard of a Pullman-Isaacson dozer. Actually, my '42 -14 ('43 is wrong) has the Isaacson blade on it.

Vic