dumbfarmer

Combine engines - update

So I have a 966 that has a blown motor I see a 414 combine engine for sale from an 815 should be the same, correct? Did any of the non turboed combine motors have the extra piston oil jets? I’d like to just put a 10 or 1466 motor in it but sure it’s worth the extra money. 

Combine fuel pump possibly different. No part throttle governor, just full speed like a truck.

No extra oil jets , the fuel pump can be changed over to manual shutoff or just change your pump . I would recomend you put in a motor out of a 1066/1086 with a turbo and if you don't need the extra power just turn it down . Those non  turboed motors need the extra air in my opinion but your the guy buying 😂

Danny 

My pump and all other parts are fine they could be switched out. I just thought maybe if those combine engines were built a little tougher then maybe they could be a good transplant and add the turbo. Probably should just get a 10 and sell this 9 but I hate to, other than the motor it’s pretty good tight tractor 

Does the combine motors have the same front cover as a tractor engine? I remember someone saying truck engines have a different front cover. Also what about the bell housing.

3 hours ago, MarkG said:

Does the combine motors have the same front cover as a tractor engine? I remember someone saying truck engines have a different front cover. Also what about the bell housing.

Same  front cover not sure about rear, can't remember.  One thing about a combine engine figure 1/2 life of tractor. At least that is what they say all the time here at the dealer.  They say think about combine is wide open most of time where a tractor you throttle back a lot.If you had a IHC engine  in the combine rod flew out and knocked inj pump of gaurantee at 5000 hrs. The early high speed cummins were worse they couldn't take the rpm and valves would just let go.

3 hours ago, dale560 said:

Same  front cover not sure about rear, can't remember.  One thing about a combine engine figure 1/2 life of tractor. At least that is what they say all the time here at the dealer.  They say think about combine is wide open most of time where a tractor you throttle back a lot.If you had a IHC engine  in the combine rod flew out and knocked inj pump of gaurantee at 5000 hrs. The early high speed cummins were worse they couldn't take the rpm and valves would just let go.

Know of a few 1600 series around here with a hole in the grain tank from rod grenading engine block.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:08 PM, dumbfarmer said:

So I have a 966 that has a blown motor I see a 414 combine engine for sale from an 815 should be the same, correct? Did any of the non turboed combine motors have the extra piston oil jets? I’d like to just put a 10 or 1466 motor in it but sure it’s worth the extra money. 

Had a neighbor kid that just sold a 966 with a turboed 414 in it with a pretty fresh overhaul. Pretty sure D 414 and DT 414 had different oil pumps too.

19 hours ago, catman13 said:

what's wrong with your motor

Not sure I think it scored a piston

i was lugging it hard on a 13 ft discbine  end it went to hammering and steaming and smoking out of the breather. I slowed it down right away and it quit smoking but now has a knock it the motor 

If you didn't hurt the crank you could just do an infame kit with a head rebuild, and it not be too hard to complete nor too costly.   I'd rather do that any day and at least know what I have and not always be wondering what shape a used engine is in. 

You can always ad a turbo later for a few more horses, and know your engine will take it. 

Likely you burned or swallowed a valve.  Had this happen several times over the years.   Likely the crank is fine.   An inframe would be the simplest solution, and get the head redone.  The only other thing to consider would be the cam--just look at the lifters and see how they look.   These engines are very simple to rebuild.  

6 hours ago, B.B. said:

If you didn't hurt the crank you could just do an infame kit with a head rebuild, and it not be too hard to complete nor too costly.   I'd rather do that any day and at least know what I have and not always be wondering what shape a used engine is in. 

You can always ad a turbo later for a few more horses, and know your engine will take it. 

Trouble is I’ll have the same thing again later. And adding a turbo without the extra jets not recommended 

Your engine went, what, 40 years? Are you planning on running it another 40?

2 hours ago, R Pope said:

Your engine went, what, 40 years? Are you planning on running it another 40?

No it didn’t. Tractor has around 12,000 hrs total and this is the 4th time 

I've put a combine pump on a couple of 1086 tractors never noticed any problems because of the combine governor being set up to run full throttle we ran a wire out to the pump from the key switch and used the electric shut off. My luck with combine motor transplants runs about 50/50 I'm about ready to quit doing them .If you knew the machine and that it was cared for you might be ok but your still just rolling the dice . I would bet if you have had to OH that 9 3 times already there are other problems that aren't getting fixed at OH. Also got to remember that 815 engine has to be at least what 42 or so years old now and has it ever had any work done on it .I think i've seen the same one on CG at Boone ,IA if so looks like a private sale where at least when we get them out of our local salvage yard he will warranty them for 90 days I'll bet you"ll be on your own with the motor your looking at.No use putting in a motor like that then doing again right away .What has been the failures the other times your 9 has went down just curious?

A model 100 pump's governor is not really any different from a combine to a tractor, other than shimming for the higher low idle in the combine. You could simply adjust it. What most combine pumps/governors lack is a torque rise, but many of the tractors did too. Truck engines too, not really much difference other than spring and shims for the higher rpms. 

1 hour ago, HTS1206 said:

I've put a combine pump on a couple of 1086 tractors never noticed any problems because of the combine governor being set up to run full throttle we ran a wire out to the pump from the key switch and used the electric shut off. My luck with combine motor transplants runs about 50/50 I'm about ready to quit doing them .If you knew the machine and that it was cared for you might be ok but your still just rolling the dice . I would bet if you have had to OH that 9 3 times already there are other problems that aren't getting fixed at OH. Also got to remember that 815 engine has to be at least what 42 or so years old now and has it ever had any work done on it .I think i've seen the same one on CG at Boone ,IA if so looks like a private sale where at least when we get them out of our local salvage yard he will warranty them for 90 days I'll bet you"ll be on your own with the motor your looking at.No use putting in a motor like that then doing again right away .What has been the failures the other times your 9 has went down just curious?

1st time wasn’t us we bought it in 1989 with around 4K on the meter with a verified oh with m&w parts from a dealer. That last about 2k hrs. Dad had a ih reman put in because we needed it for haying right away. That lasted another 3-4 k not sure. I was using it disking and it went to hammering smoking just like this time scored piston. Local experienced mechanic replaced the bad piston and sleeve not sure which hole. Now it did it again. The fuel is turned up as much as we can with out it smoking black to much. I like the power but apparently NA engine can’t take it. Was told turn it down or put a dt414 in it 

Sounds like you just need to find a nice 1466 :)

4 hours ago, dumbfarmer said:

1st time wasn’t us we bought it in 1989 with around 4K on the meter with a verified oh with m&w parts from a dealer. That last about 2k hrs. Dad had a ih reman put in because we needed it for haying right away. That lasted another 3-4 k not sure. I was using it disking and it went to hammering smoking just like this time scored piston. Local experienced mechanic replaced the bad piston and sleeve not sure which hole. Now it did it again. The fuel is turned up as much as we can with out it smoking black to much. I like the power but apparently NA engine can’t take it. Was told turn it down or put a dt414 in it 

Not a big fan of M and W pistons/sleeves. So i can see why that Overhaul failed.      You are just asking for trouble by turning  the  fuel up and then lugging the motor.  Buy a tractor with the horse power you need Overhaul the motor the right way and turn the pump down to what it should be. And that motor will last a long time.

4 hours ago, RKO said:

Not a big fan of M and W pistons/sleeves. So i can see why that Overhaul failed.      You are just asking for trouble by turning  the  fuel up and then lugging the motor.  Buy a tractor with the horse power you need Overhaul the motor the right way and turn the pump down to what it should be. And that motor will last a long time.

Exactly 

On 6/15/2018 at 5:01 PM, dumbfarmer said:

. And adding a turbo without the extra jets not recommended 

Won't hurt a thing.  99% of these tractors don't get used as hard as they were originally designed for...

Travis

I would agree with the others that running any engine at its max capability for an extended period is asking for failure. I understand the reasons for turning up the pump, but in doing so, you're asking a lot from a somewhat tired engine.  Money doesn't grow on trees but it makes sense to have a tractor that can easily handle the implements you put behind her.  The tractor will last a lot longer that's for sure.

Good luck with whatever route you choose.

Got it tore apart. The crank is fine thank goodness but number 3 piston and sleeve are scored. The piston pin seems tight. There was a knock in the motor can this be just from the bad piston? I assumed I had a bearing out but all that seems tight 

image.jpg

image.jpg