1566 3588

Offset disk opinions

Looking for advice on offset disks. I might be in the market for one in a few months here. What brands are best? How big of an offset disk can a 3588 handle?

Thank you in advance.

Look for a Miller or a CaseIH 770. Personally I think the Miller is a better disk. They also built them for New Holland as well. 12’ would be all you would want 

I would think a 3588 could handle more then12 foot but I guess it depends on the soil in your area.

i pull an 18 foot Miller behind a 1066

I pull a 21 foot standard disk with the 3588 already but I've always heard offset disks pull much harder. Looking to break up corn stalks in the fall with it mostly.

1 minute ago, 1566 3588 said:

I pull a 21 foot standard disk with the 3588 already but I've always heard offset disks pull much harder. Looking to break up corn stalks in the fall with it mostly.

Offset discs are a completely different animal!

I pulled a borrowed 10' Miller with my turbo'd 766 running around 130 hp and 13,000 lb and it was a good match in the ground I was working.  Low 3 d.d. and low 4 t.a.

I later owned a JD TW plowing disk that chewed trash up real well.  Blades were worn down to 22 - 24" (notched Deere cone blades) and it would cut up sod almost as well as the Miller I mentioned above.  It was around 12' and was a nice load behind my 7.  My little big tractor liked to pull it in Hi 1 t.a.

We pull a 18’ Miller behind a 300hp articulate and will bring it to its knees if you bury it. 

Pulled a 14’ Miller behind a 4366 and 4166 for years. 41 did not like it. 

I used to pull a 15 ft. King behind a 1486 at 6 to 8 inches deep. Sure made cornstalks plow nice in the spring. Would probably still be using it yet if no till wouldn't have been discovered. 

Jerry

Athens

12.1 width, brings a 142hp tractor to it's knees in places, will cause lots of wheel hop if tractor is not weighted down and dialed in.

35 minutes ago, SMiller said:

Athens

12.1 width, brings a 142hp tractor to it's knees in places, will causes lots of wheel hop if tractor is not weighted down and dialed in.

Man, is that ever working up nice! 1 pass and done?

3 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Man, is that ever working up nice! 1 pass and done?

Yes Sir., run the drill at a opposite offset, smooth as glass.

Takes a little while to get it set up to run like that but once it is dialed in you see the results.

• Like 1

18 foot disk , 1066 with factory settings un touched.

• Like 1

Pulled a 16' JD4000 plow disk w/22" cone blades with my1256. Worked great in corn on corn. Hit it in the spring with a light disk just enough to incorporate the pre emerge. Loved that disk. Neighbors did too they borrowed it enough.

BIL was pulling a 12' same disk with a warmed 4320, and it was all that tractor wanted. He would never hook on to my 16'.

I think that a series 3. Looks lthe smae as the one we used to have.

I have to ask. Is that a F-81 Farmhand grinder mixer in the background?  It looks from the view I see a carbon copy of ours. Right down to the rust brown color and bright yellow decal.

I wuz looking at S Miller's profile trying to remember where he is from------that's some good looking dirt he is rolling in his video.

I didn't realize that he wuz such a senior citizen.  Profile says Miller was born in 1914!!!!😨   Appears to be older than dirt???   (but-----I still haven't found out where that good looking dirt is).

And-----that Athens disk looks to be tuned like a fine violin!!!!👍

Do any of you offset boys run with a swinging drawbar???  I always preferred the swinging drawbar-----primarily for our varying soil conditions here in the Mississippi Delta.

DD

I pull a 5' Taylorway with a Ford 4000.

On 6/14/2018 at 8:07 PM, dads706 said:

Pulled a 16' JD4000 plow disk w/22" cone blades with my1256. Worked great in corn on corn. Hit it in the spring with a light disk just enough to incorporate the pre emerge. Loved that disk. Neighbors did too they borrowed it enough.

BIL was pulling a 12' same disk with a warmed 4320, and it was all that tractor wanted. He would never hook on to my 16'.

I never pulled a JD 4000, but I can believe it's a good one.  I know those cone blades cut pretty good and pulled pretty hard.

I think it was the disk that the 10/20/30 series disks should have been, but weren't.

On 6/13/2018 at 7:03 PM, 1566 3588 said:

You heard right. Offset discs were never very popular in this area. I can only recall two in my area. One was a Miller, maybe 16-18', guy pulled it with a good size Steiger. Really did a job on corn stalks but left the ground really rough. . The other was a 12' JD my BIL owned. He always bragged about what a good job it did. I used it once, pulled it with a 1486. My 496 would cut stalks better than that thing did.

2 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

I wuz looking at S Miller's profile trying to remember where he is from------that's some good looking dirt he is rolling in his video.

I didn't realize that he wuz such a senior citizen.  Profile says Miller was born in 1914!!!!😨   Appears to be older than dirt???   (but-----I still haven't found out where that good looking dirt is).

And-----that Athens disk looks to be tuned like a fine violin!!!!👍

Do any of you offset boys run with a swinging drawbar???  I always preferred the swinging drawbar-----primarily for our varying soil conditions here in the Mississippi Delta.

DD

I am down here by Stu's in central Florida. 

I feel like I was born in 1914...

I had one of these (about 11').  John Deere TWA.  Really good basic heavy tandem.

It chewed up stalks and weeds really well, and would cut up some sod if I made two passes.

It didn't cut or pull like the 10' Miller I borrowed once, but it worked really well and was h.ll for stout, as my uncle said.

TWA disk.jpg

TWA disk 2.jpg

6 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

I have to ask. Is that a F-81 Farmhand grinder mixer in the background?  It looks from the view I see a carbon copy of ours. Right down to the rust brown color and bright yellow decal.

Yes it is!