Sign in to follow this  
Caretaker

1961 International R-200 Fire Engine

On 9/6/2018 at 9:23 PM, Rainman said:

Fuel tank need cleaning? 

I had it cleaned but I guess there could still be some stuff in there.  I hope not. This only happens when pulling up big hills.  

1 hour ago, Caretaker said:

I had it cleaned but I guess there could still be some stuff in there.  I hope not. This only happens when pulling up big hills.  

Happens when Fuel tank full?  Tank standpipe in correct position? Fuel pump...

4 hours ago, Rainman said:

Happens when Fuel tank full?  Tank standpipe in correct position? Fuel pump...

Tank is almost full and the standpipe is in the same position as it was when removed. The fuel pump is new. 

Check with Kurt to see if he thinks a float level adjustment may be needed, since this only happens on a big hill. It sounds like you are running out of gas. Is the new fuel pump the same as the old one? I have seen several cases of electric pumps not being able to keep up with the demand of a big Holley on a large c.i.d. engine. I have two F.W.D. pumpers with Waukesha's that have 3 AC electric pumps in tridem. 

3 hours ago, Caretaker said:

Tank is almost full and the standpipe is in the same position as it was when removed. The fuel pump is new. 

Sounds like you're getting everything covered...

2 hours ago, Rainman said:

Sounds like you're getting everything covered...

That’s why I’m a bit stumped.  I don’t know if I need to fiddle with the carb.  It was set up according to spec when I reinstalled it. I think I’ll give the guy who rebuilt it for me a call and bounce it off him. 

If it runs good otherwise, it is most likely fuel delivery. Carefully pull the fuel line off the carb and put it in a receptacle, run the engine for a short time and confirm adequate fuel delivery.

If the fire pump works, you could pump water and use that to load the engine so you can troubleshoot under load with the truck standing still. Much easier.

Remember 'treatment without diagnosis is malpractice'. :)

Brian

Spoke to my carb guy and he thinks that the vacuum governor and the mixture are in need of adjustment, based on my description. We’ll go for a ride and he’ll tune her in. That’s service!

I chased a similar problem on my 1957 IH S182 with a BD308. And a 1951 Mack A40 mixer truck with a flat head 6 cylinder 377. After fuel pumps and a oil cooler to try to stop any vaper lock and a couple of different coils what fixed it was replacing the condenser.  Even though they were fairly new. Both trucks would run fine for about ten minutes then start bucking under load but would idle fine.

Good Luck!

Hugh   

Adjusted the idle and mixture today. She was idling too low and running too rich. That took care of the backfiring and popping coming down the hills. It also seemed to take care of the loss of power when running up the big hills. I’ll have to wait until next summer to see if the heat played a part in the “uphill issue”. She’ll go to bed for the winter soon. 

Hi Travelette,

I just saw you had a NOS 3 piece RD 406 Exhaust manifold, just wondering if you still have it and if so interested in selling it. 

Thanks ,

Cheers

Graeme

On 10/13/2018 at 2:23 PM, Caretaker said:

Tucked in for winter. 

8299B4A3-8537-416F-8A63-5B88891D39EA.jpeg

Love the low band radio antenna, is the radio still in the truck? Functional?

6 hours ago, n9lhm said:

Love the low band radio antenna, is the radio still in the truck? Functional?

Yes. It’s there and still works. The transition to high band radios was a gradual one. We used both systems in simulcast for several years before making the switch final. We are dispatched by two separate centers and only one had upgraded initially. Needless to say, she retained her radio and antenna. She was in active service for 49 years. 

Gorgeous old truck.  Love those big old gassers. I had an old R190 with a RD450.  When it was idled down, you could see the front bumper jiggling up and down.

The Makwa FD in British Columbia has a really nice R185.

Spent about four hours with the truck and some Meguiar’s ultimate compound recently. I was able to bring back a good deal of shine to the cab, hood, and fenders. I’ve been driving it to and from work (about 30 miles round trip) at least once a month since spring and she’s been running well. I’ve been piecing its equipment inventory back together and reinstalling various items as well. Gonna be crawling underneath pretty soon to knock off the loose paint, bust some rusty areas, and repaint. I have a bit of electrical work to do with the lights on the rear as well. After that, it’ll be about time to tuck her back in for winter. 

4B721D63-184D-4380-A724-E68852D9D387.jpeg

6F2F1EC1-C3A9-4E7D-A6A6-42C1C7107703.jpeg

0228FC8A-313C-43F1-9D6E-1E1FC64081F4.jpeg

Looking good. Glad some of those problems are getting taken care of.

Dennis

Thanks. I’m whittling away at her. There’s a couple of areas with some rot but should be fairly easy to deal with. It’s mostly diamond plate for running boards and the tailboard. The body is solid. 

Got quite a bit done with 25 hours of work over a six day period. Sorted out the electrical issues in the back end. One turn signal wasn’t even wired. The rest of it was a combination old hack-job repairs and wiring that was just plain worn out and crumbling. Spent three days under the truck just scraping off loose paint and rust. Then, prepped, primed, and painted.  Glad to be done with that. I also re-installed several items that I tracked down that had been previously removed. Cleaned out the compartments, inventoried all the equipment and put it back as it was when she was in service. Gave the truck a good wash and proceeded to compound the rest of the body. I was able to bring the paint back to a good shine, but dang if I ever want to do that again! That’s a big vehicle to do by hand. 

2F047698-F708-4853-AD72-7053FC40BBFD.jpeg

B5BC12E4-B000-4E80-A8CC-2128A76B7130.jpeg

21BA4109-ADCA-4585-9499-8446B8828E03.jpeg

A75F7C60-68C3-4323-A502-4DCCD16E6888.jpeg

0777666F-714A-49CB-B3FE-10CE6353BC90.jpeg

B70F0BD7-D71B-4E8B-B584-1A1A19F3F01E.jpeg

F1B0E2F6-DEDD-4D66-AC2F-F74AB6602C28.jpeg

CC9E2FFF-B6CD-4397-9A40-785DDB88402B.jpeg

You outta take some Steel wool to those front grille bars. Shine em up.

5 hours ago, CubNamedOscar said:

You outta take some Steel wool to those front grille bars. Shine em up.

Not sure if that’ll do the trick. They’re pitted and rusted pretty good. I might have to have them re-chromed. 

Noticed the inside of the inner tire on the right rear is wet. So, next season’s work will likely include some wheel cylinder work or an axle seal.