Sign in to follow this  
mader656

7 passenger suv recommendation

Looking for a 7 passenger SUV around the early to mid 2000s budget is max 4k what do you all have and or recommend?

Must have good 4x4

Good parts availability, bonus points for easier to work on.

• Like 1

Excursion? Lol. Honestly go with a 99-04 burban with third row and be happy. They are pretty solid and parts availability rocks

• Like 1

Yes do that year a high mileage suburban is still reliable and parts are available

• Like 1

She really is afraid of suburban that's what i would like room for all her crap when traveling.

2 minutes ago, mader656 said:

She really is afraid of suburban that's what i would like room for all her crap when traveling.

With seven you are limited. There is 5 of us and we fill our 2010 suburban pretty fast. Ours has 155,000 and want to trade in a year but they get cheap for trading when miles are high. She will like it a soon as you use it a bit. Ours does 15 to 17 avg gas mileage. We rented a 18 Yukon last week for a 1000 mile round trip it avg 21.3 both ways.

With those first gen series the only real problem they had was hub assemblies and that same garbo 4l60e. You could get a hd burban with the 6.0 and the 4l80 but the fuel economy is poo. 

I see and sell a lot of parts for those suburbans. Not because they're bad. But because the early 5.3, pre AFM, is a very respectible power house and gets fairly good economy. So people keep them around.

16 minutes ago, mader656 said:

Originally my wife was against the Suburban now we're on our third the third one is almost 200,000 the second one we still have has 210000 the first one we got rid of with 220,000 on the meter

And yes Jacob, these can “waddle faster”.

Unfortunately it is probably more than 4K.  Per track......

EB5D1DB9-58F5-4738-B22A-E47B17F9E469.jpeg

• Haha 1

We had a 2000 Durango that was ok,   Plenty of power and the 4x4 was good.  The third row seat was not very access friendly but the kid did it fine.   

We drove our first Suburban to 312,5XX. That's when we traded it. We used to for a daily driver, hauling family, hay and gravity wagons, pulling newly purchased implements home. Replaced 1 Pittman arm, 1 front wheel bearing, 1 alternator, 1 starter, a couple of heater motors and the transmission at 258,000 miles. Yea they are big but no bigger than a fullsized extended cab short bed pickup. Nice thing about them is that once everyone is loaded up you still have room for luggage/gear. All the smaller 7 passenger SUVs I'm aware of have little to no storage behind the 3rd seat.

Rick

You put a woman in a Suburban for six months and then try and get it away from her.

Mine drives a 1990 GMC Sub with 100,00 on the clock.

It spent it's first years hauling bodies and flowers for a funeral home.

Spent every night inside and looks almost like new.

Wife would load her gun before giving up her Sub!

43 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

You put a woman in a Suburban for six months and then try and get it away from her.

Mine drives a 1990 GMC Sub with 100,00 on the clock.

It spent it's first years hauling bodies and flowers for a funeral home.

Spent every night inside and looks almost like new.

Wife would load her gun before giving up her Sub!

Wish I could say the same, bought my wife a Yukon XL 2500 and she wants it gone and replaced with a smaller SUV, road trips are gonna suck now.

Had good luck with expeditions. Got 2. 97 and 98.3rd row seat hauled 5 kids  in the day. Only car they have known growing up and now they are  driving them

I want the suburban at this point wife wants a Durango so im guessing we will end up compromising. And get a Durango... And in a year get a suburban

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

We bought our first Suburban in '96. Pur hased new and used by my wife in her catering business until 2011 when she retired. It had close to 150,000 miles when I traded it for a pu. She used it daily, hauling supplies and delivering dinners. No one could pack a vehicle like she could. People, even carry boys would stand & watch. I remeber one time she came bavk from getting supplis and came in the house saying something was wrong with her Suburban, it was making anoise even after she shut it off. I went out & checked, sure enoughmit was making a noise. Took a couple minutes before I finally reasl8zed it was the automatic leveling system. Unloading it I took out 20 cases, 6 can per case, of #10 cans of vegetables & processed fruirrs, besides who knows how many sacks of groceries, bags os sugar &   flour pluse a full size mattress. How she managed to get all that in there I never figured out but when it was unloadingnthe "noise" stopped.

In addition we have had severssl other Suburbans for personal vehicles. We both like the ease of getting in / out, the ride can't be beat, and really like sitting up & having a good view of traffic around you. Personally can't stand to sit in a car where you feel like your arse is dragging the pavement and the person in the passenger is sitting on top of you.

4 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

And yes Jacob, these can “waddle faster”.

Unfortunately it is probably more than 4K.  Per track......

EB5D1DB9-58F5-4738-B22A-E47B17F9E469.jpeg

Get down my road all the time...

Lots of variables in your quest.

$4000 doesn't go far these days in any vehicle, especially a 4x4. IDK how much salt they use in your area, but in MN it puts a crimp in what is available as well.

I bought my first Burb about 3 yrs ago, it's a 97 K1500 with the R code 5.7/350. I love it and it will be tough to go back to a pickup. These are good proven tough trucks, but don't expect a powerhouse, and really don't expect anything better than 12 mpg.

I have to admit though, mine has been a real bad luck truck. Engine and trans went before I drove it a month. But that's the risk you take buying cheap vehicles from private parties. Now I have a rusty Burb body covering a mostly new powertrain, which is kinda fun. You can flog it through the woods and trust the bottom without worrying about putting some scratches up top.

In 2000, they redesigned the Burb and gave it the 5.3 LS. Man I would like to upgrade to one of those ... and they stay in your price range.... however, what the h377 did they do to make them rust SO bad?

The Expedition and Excursion fit your bill as well, I would take an Excursion with a 7.3 PSD any day, good luck finding one for $4K. But the Expedition, no problem.... I just don't like Ford Triton engines, there are too many known issues - all overcomeable, but such a PITA to fix. They certainly don't rust as bad as the 2000 + chevs and get better mileage than the 1999 - 's.

The Durango.... I wouldn't classify them as a true full size 7 passenger SUV, they are more like a Trailblazer or Explorer. And, as much as I don't like Ford powertrain these days, I really don' don't like Chrysler. 

What is your major priority? 7 passengers comfortably, cargo, off road capability, 4x4 for weather, mpg? Have you considered a van? Cargo or passenger capability will be better than a SUV in a van, fuel economy probably will be better too. A Chev Astro is available in AWD and very reliable.

I could go on n on n on. Hope these thoughts help.

Wife was a little scared of the Suburban at first then you couldn't pry it away from her. We've had a few.

Now we don't need quite that much so she's got the short version and takes the third row out.

They're reliable, easy to work on if they do need fixing. Any part readily available and relatively inexpensive.

Smaller SUVs that have a third row are cramped and have zero cargo space.

3 hours ago, Cattech said:

Lots of variables in your quest.

$4000 doesn't go far these days in any vehicle, especially a 4x4. IDK how much salt they use in your area, but in MN it puts a crimp in what is available as well.

I bought my first Burb about 3 yrs ago, it's a 97 K1500 with the R code 5.7/350. I love it and it will be tough to go back to a pickup. These are good proven tough trucks, but don't expect a powerhouse, and really don't expect anything better than 12 mpg.

I have to admit though, mine has been a real bad luck truck. Engine and trans went before I drove it a month. But that's the risk you take buying cheap vehicles from private parties. Now I have a rusty Burb body covering a mostly new powertrain, which is kinda fun. You can flog it through the woods and trust the bottom without worrying about putting some scratches up top.

In 2000, they redesigned the Burb and gave it the 5.3 LS. Man I would like to upgrade to one of those ... and they stay in your price range.... however, what the h377 did they do to make them rust SO bad?

The Expedition and Excursion fit your bill as well, I would take an Excursion with a 7.3 PSD any day, good luck finding one for $4K. But the Expedition, no problem.... I just don't like Ford Triton engines, there are too many known issues - all overcomeable, but such a PITA to fix. They certainly don't rust as bad as the 2000 + chevs and get better mileage than the 1999 - 's.

The Durango.... I wouldn't classify them as a true full size 7 passenger SUV, they are more like a Trailblazer or Explorer. And, as much as I don't like Ford powertrain these days, I really don' don't like Chrysler. 

What is your major priority? 7 passengers comfortably, cargo, off road capability, 4x4 for weather, mpg? Have you considered a van? Cargo or passenger capability will be better than a SUV in a van, fuel economy probably will be better too. A Chev Astro is available in AWD and very reliable.

I could go on n on n on. Hope these thoughts help.

Ask 1586 Jeff about rust here non issue I can read the factory assembly stickers on the frame of my 2001 dodge with 355,000 on the clock.

4x4 she needs real 4x4 with low range to get home sometimes. If it snows Thursday night they don't plow till Monday.  And mud in the spring. My road gets bad so I need something that can handle getting drug around a bit.

My priority is honestly 7 people and stuff comfortably inside. My wife way over packs...says a roof rack or hitch carrier works not a fan...

Mileage would be helpful but not a big issue.

3 minutes ago, mader656 said:

Ask 1586 Jeff about rust here non issue I can read the factory assembly stickers on the frame of my 2001 dodge with 355,000 on the clock.

4x4 she needs real 4x4 with low range to get home sometimes. If it snows Thursday night they don't plow till Monday.  And mud in the spring. My road gets bad so I need something that can handle getting drug around a bit.

My priority is honestly 7 people and stuff comfortably inside. My wife way over packs...says a roof rack or hitch carrier works not a fan...

Mileage would be helpful but not a big issue.

Our 98 Suburban pulled about 18 MPG as long as you kept the RPMs under 2K. Hit 2K about 70 MPH. 68 would deliver 18 MPG on the highway. 70 dropped that to 15. 2nd one, an 04 would get 17 at 70 and about 13 at 75. Our current one, way more than the 4K you have to spend get about 19 at 75.

Problem with a hitch carrier is keeping stuff clean and dry. Gotta remember that even if packed items are well protected you may get wet or dirty trying to unload it at a destination. Roof rack don't work well on anything other than an old station wagon unless you are tall. Heck I'm 6'5" and haven't used a roof rack on anything in years that was easy. Not an blazer/trailblazer, Durango, Jeep, or Explorer, none of the roof racks are convenient. To be honest about the only time you see a roof rack or hitch carrier being used here are with people traveling. Not used in a daily use situation at all. Mostly folks going to a resort. They load it, drive through, unload at the destination, then reload it to go home. 

Rick

14 hours ago, mader656 said:

So, friends from church decided their tortur...umm..  minivan days were behind them.  Found real nice 05 Sub 4x she like but was worried about size.  At Xfit she took my wifes 02 out for a cruise for 20 min half hour other day.  She was so surprised how it did not feel big at all.  She said it obviously was dif than here old Honda van but not at all what she expected.  The deal on the 05 fell though, sounded like it may of been wreaked and had a title swap IMO.  But they ended up with a old ladies 06 Seqouia with lo miles and stacks of record for good deal.  Let her practice in a Sub.  She'll be fine.  Dont bother with a Tahoe size rig.  Back seat is silly and can only fit a duffle bag behind that 3rd row.  We have 4' for crap she has 0 need to be trucking around.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, SMiller said:

Wish I could say the same, bought my wife a Yukon XL 2500 and she wants it gone and replaced with a smaller SUV, road trips are gonna suck now.

I feel for you, same here.

2 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Dont bother with a Tahoe size rig.  Back seat is silly and can only fit a duffle bag behind that 3rd row.  We have 4' for crap she has 0 need to be trucking around.

Exactly!

Rick

We are way past the time of needing a large vehicle. But I remember times when my Wife looked like she needed a trailer in addition to haul all her stuff!

I would find a Suburban, really sounds like your best bet for you're needs.

We had a 2005 excursion.  Absolutely bulletproof.  it was a V10 had 200,000 on it zero trouble.  Mileage on the road 15mpg in town 10 or less that was the only bad thing but plenty of room and a cheap ride.

Mike