4260 sprayer lost road speed

Thesd5488

I am not familiar with the 4260 sprayer, but if it just uses a cable from the cab to the hydro pump like the 14 and 16 series combines have, where the clevis pin goes thru the propulsion arm on the hydro pump, the propulsion arm hole would wear oval-shaped and not allow full movement to allow full road speed. We would just pull off the arm and weld the hole back to the original size and replace the clevis pin. The combines would gain their road speed back after the repair.

I have a 3310.  On the road it used to speed up and then slow down if the hydro handle was all the way forward.  I had to replace a wheel micro switch found on the left rear wheel motor.  Since then it now goes steady speed down the road and faster than I think would be safe so I don't go full out any more.   All the wheel have this switch or sensor and had to do with the traction control system.  This may be related to your problem as well.

21 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

If the ladder drops ? 

Yup. Charge pressure is used to release the park brakes and raise the ladder in addition to supply charge pressure to the hydro pumps. 

3 hours ago, SDman said:

Yup. Charge pressure is used to release the park brakes and raise the ladder in addition to supply charge pressure to the hydro pumps. 

Never been around a a sprayer like that. But sounds like he just lost top speed. I take it they change motor swash plates for more speed somewhat like a combine with 2 speed hydro? If you ever wanted to see a hydro night mare it was a 5000 versatile combine. No transmission just a differential with a motor and pump on engine. One lever controlled all speed by changing motor and pump swashplates together. 

58 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Never been around a a sprayer like that. But sounds like he just lost top speed. I take it they change motor swash plates for more speed somewhat like a combine with 2 speed hydro? If you ever wanted to see a hydro night mare it was a 5000 versatile combine. No transmission just a differential with a motor and pump on engine. One lever controlled all speed by changing motor and pump swashplates together. 

Dale, I'll try to give you a crash course on the hydro/hydraulic system on the 4xxx series CaseIH sprayers. Now, forgive me as I don't call myself an expert on sprayers by any means. But, we've probably got nearly 100 of these machines around us anymore-enough work for 2 full-time technicians in our shop year round. Many of these machines were not sold by us because of CaseIH's "sprayer politics", but we get to deal with them when they break down.

The hydro pumps each have a gear pump mounted on them for charge pressure. The pumps also release the park brake, which the cylinder for the ladder is plumbed into as well. That's why Cliff was mentioning if the ladder was falling down when you go to accelerate. Charge pressure drops=park brakes can apply and the ladder falls down. 

As far as the hydros, they are connected by opposite corners. LF wheel hub motor is supplied by the same hydro as the RR wheel hub motor(same with RF motor and LR motor supplied by other hydro). 

Now, the hydros on a sprayer are somewhat like the hydro setup on an IH tractor from years ago-the hydro pump swashplate controls machine direction and speed up to a certain point. After that, additional speed is gained by angling the swashplates on the hydro motors(all the movement above the "blue line" mark on an IH tractor hydro changes the hydro motor swashplate angle). In the case of CaseIH sprayers, the swashplates in the wheel motors are changed by moving a control spool in the motor, which, in turn moves the swashplates in the wheel motors. Usually when the CaseIH sprayers lack upper road speed, its due to the control spool sticking or else an orifice that controls spool movement is plugged. I sent this gentleman some info the other day on this problem to see if it could help him troubleshoot his problem. 

2 hours ago, SDman said:

Dale, I'll try to give you a crash course on the hydro/hydraulic system on the 4xxx series CaseIH sprayers. Now, forgive me as I don't call myself an expert on sprayers by any means. But, we've probably got nearly 100 of these machines around us anymore-enough work for 2 full-time technicians in our shop year round. Many of these machines were not sold by us because of CaseIH's "sprayer politics", but we get to deal with them when they break down.

The hydro pumps each have a gear pump mounted on them for charge pressure. The pumps also release the park brake, which the cylinder for the ladder is plumbed into as well. That's why Cliff was mentioning if the ladder was falling down when you go to accelerate. Charge pressure drops=park brakes can apply and the ladder falls down. 

As far as the hydros, they are connected by opposite corners. LF wheel hub motor is supplied by the same hydro as the RR wheel hub motor(same with RF motor and LR motor supplied by other hydro). 

Now, the hydros on a sprayer are somewhat like the hydro setup on an IH tractor from years ago-the hydro pump swashplate controls machine direction and speed up to a certain point. After that, additional speed is gained by angling the swashplates on the hydro motors(all the movement above the "blue line" mark on an IH tractor hydro changes the hydro motor swashplate angle). In the case of CaseIH sprayers, the swashplates in the wheel motors are changed by moving a control spool in the motor, which, in turn moves the swashplates in the wheel motors. Usually when the CaseIH sprayers lack upper road speed, its due to the control spool sticking or else an orifice that controls spool movement is plugged. I sent this gentleman some info the other day on this problem to see if it could help him troubleshoot his problem. 

It has road speed to start with but will lose it after couple hours seems like a pump is getting weak oil gets warm and it doesn’t perform as good

• 1 year later...
On 6/11/2018 at 2:59 PM, Thesd5488 said:

It has road speed to start with but will lose it after couple hours seems like a pump is getting weak oil gets warm and it doesn’t perform as good

We are experiencing this exact same problem with our 4260.  And like you, it works well until the oil is hot and then we lose road gear.  
We’re you able to diagnose the issue?   Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.   We love the sprayer but the lack of road gear is problematic.  
Looking forward to hearing from you. 

3 hours ago, Thesd5488 said:

Yes I believe it was the charge pump on the back of the sprayer size of your fist

Thanks for the quick response.   Is there just one charge pump or two?  

Is this an ‘on the farm repair’ in your opinion or something I need to take to the dealership?

Having similar problem with 4420 right now, in fact its at the CaseIH dealer now. Usually will run 32 no problem, one day I could not get more than 26-27 out of it. Next day by end of day I was down to 15-16 so to the dealer it went. Still waiting on diagnosis. They were thinking bad wheel motor but not sure.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did you find out how to fix your road speed. 

my SPX4260 is doing same thing now

On 6/7/2018 at 5:46 PM, Thesd5488 said:

My 4260 lost its road speed goes 33-36 when it worked good now it works good to start with but after couple hours 18-22 is tops hydro pull good think it would either spin or kill motor if you slammed stick ahead any ideas thanks

11 hours ago, Toohot said:

Did you find out how to fix your road speed. 

my SPX4260 is doing same thing now

No I put a new pump on it little one one back supposed to do the dial for road speed it helped a little 2-3 mph more I’m starting to wonder if hydros are getting tired 

20 hours ago, Thesd5488 said:

No I put a new pump on it little one one back supposed to do the dial for road speed it helped a little 2-3 mph more I’m starting to wonder if hydros are getting tired 

How many hours on the hydro? Our 3330 has 42xx hours currently

Are you guys running Hytran or excavator fluid? Our CNH rep told us to start running excavator fluid in the sprayers.

26 minutes ago, Eason said:

Are you guys running Hytran or excavator fluid? Our CNH rep told us to start running excavator fluid in the sprayers.

We are running hytran in everything ...... I will have to look into this. Who is your dealer Hoober? 

2 hours ago, Eason said:

1 hour ago, bitty said:

We are running hytran in everything ...... I will have to look into this. Who is your dealer Hoober? 

I remember this when I was still working at the dealer. We had a sprayer that had an issue with a sticky valve I believe. Moisture was building up in it. CNH claimed that hytran was causing it and to switch to excavator fluid. I did not happen to work on it so I'm unsure of the specifics but I do remember the discussion of switching fluids. They did switch fluids and the problem went away.

You are supposed to be running excavator fluid in the sprayers, especially anything built since 2014 or newer. Older stuff should be ok with Hy-Tran, but you are supposed to change over to excavator fluid eventually. 

You guys think Hy-Tran is expensive, wait til you price this stuff. 

16C6ED4D-C695-42C9-8048-4376077F461E.jpeg

14 hours ago, bitty said:

Tim, I retired from the NC Dept of Agriculture in February and have been a full time partsman at Lilley International in Williamston, NC  We are a Navistar, CaseIH, and Cub Cadet dealer. I only sell parts for Ag and Cub Cadet.

• Haha 1