Just bought a clean TD-15 but vandals stole the radiator years ago.  Anyone have suggestions on where I can locate one?

Thanks

Bart D. Hull

Laveen, AZ

2018-06-04 19.18.27.jpg

2018-06-04 19.18.45.jpg

2018-06-04 19.19.59.jpg

2018-06-04 19.19.06.jpg

I don't have any solid suggestions, but from what I've read on radiators, the technology has come so far, and they wear out, so someone is making them and making them better than they were originally.

I just need to know who to contact.  A new one might break the bank though.  Luckily the vandals unbolted the side mounts and left the rubbers in the bottom so I have all the mounting points for the radiator.  A custom aluminum radiator would work but I need dimensions and how many rows the original was.  The mounting points and the hoses were disconnected so I have both hose points and all 4 mount points if I do need to go custom.  

Bart D. Hull

Laveen, AZ

Can you start with a parts book and a part number?   Have you tried salvage yards?  Do you have any helpful radiator shops in your area?

Posting this on the Construction forum might get you more results.

Cats are more popular that td-15. anything there that would fit in the hole?

I just ordered a radiator for the Fordson ,from Fordson house. As I under ,they get them from a place in Chicago that makes custom radiators , called Fordson house and ask for Tim . 

Before I order my radiator I took it to Erie,P a.

I took my radiator off the Fordson to Canfield radiator in Erie ,pa. To see if they could fix it. Danny told me that my radiator was almost a hundred years old and it was surely going to stress fracture and it was not going to perform ,better to get a new core. His Supplier is in Cleveland . They might be able to make it also , you can call Canfield Raditor in Erie and ask for Danny .  they have been in Business for a long long time any very accomadated and very take there time to get details of my core. He also mention another core supplier in Philadelphia. 

I hope this help you with some people in the radiator business to ask questions . 

I don't think I would get a used one cause of the copper becomes  brittle with age , to much trouble and cost .

good luck ,nice machine ,

I find this interesting, they just took the radiator from the photos. Why didn't they take the big generator or the starter too? They had all the time in the world to lift a radiator carefully out . But left everything else ?

I bet there's a td 15 close with your radiator ? Any way 

• I found one!   

It's in Boise ID and my parents happen to be RV'ing that direction this summer so they will pick it up.  300 plus pounds, didn't realize I'm going to have to use a hoist to put it in.....

They wouldn't ship it as FedEx and UPS have damaged radiators in the past. This way it should get a gentle ride back.

I replaced points, condenser, coil (as it had obviously overheated as the bottom was rounded instead of flat) new wires.  Now I have spark to all cylinders but I think the carb to cylinder flow is being blocked by some butterflies that are part of the gas to diesel lever.  I may try just spraying some gas in the intake tube and see if I get some life while cranking. The gas to diesel lever has many levers it turns to make the system work.

All the wiring seems correct after I switched the battery from negative ground to positive ground.  Coil did not get voltage until the polarity was switched, must be a diode somewhere.

It turns over freely and the oil is nice and black. Also took a sample from bottom of pan to make sure no water in pan. Now the oil bath air filter was 50/50 oil water but luckily the filtered air goes into a tube up over the valve cover and down to the carb. Took the crossover off and no slime in it so all seems well.

I just want to hear this beast run. Have to take it step by step and I mostly work at night due to 110 degree temps in Arizona now.

When she runs, I'll post a video here.....

Thank you for your suggestions....

Bart D. Hull

Laveen, AZ

14 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

I find this interesting, they just took the radiator from the photos. Why didn't they take the big generator or the starter too? They had all the time in the world to lift a radiator carefully out . But left everything else ?

I bet there's a td 15 close with your radiator ? Any way 

Copper was at it's highest price about 10 years ago in Arizona. Bet it went to a scrapyards. Lots of tractors, trucks etc on this farm lost their radiators. With this radiator you can't yank it out the way the mounts are made so they took it apart.....

Bart 

Laveen, AZ

Found a radiator at a scrapyard in Boise, ID and my parents were RV'in up north so they swung by on the way home and transported it back to Phoenix, AZ for me.

$540 for a "rebuild" as the radiator strap on one side had come loose, so I had both tanks pulled and all the tubes resoldered at the headers and the tanks soldered back on.

Looks shiny and new.  I know I don't want to pull this again.  This dozer has a funny setup for a aux header tank that sits right in front of the dashboard in the center of the hood. This tank also holds additional hydraulic fluid for the on board hydraulics. (Not the blade hydraulics, they are run off the aux PTO hydraulic on the back of the dozer.)

I made sure to tell them it was a low pressure radiator, but they already knew that. Only one place I found, a diesel semi radiator repair place would touch it due to it's weight. They had a shop crane to put radiators in their biggest tank. My radiator was a small one for them.

Now if it would just cool down a bit so I have the patience to put this radiator in. Probably going to use my Case 580 front bucket and a chain hoist to gently lower the radiator in place. Junkyard gave me all sorts of plumbing to go with radiator, but I think I have everything on dozer already.

More pics when I actually get to putting it in.

Bart

Laveen, AZ

On 7/4/2018 at 1:46 PM, bdhull said:
  • I found one!   

It's in Boise ID and my parents happen to be RV'ing that direction this summer so they will pick it up.  300 plus pounds, didn't realize I'm going to have to use a hoist to put it in.....

They wouldn't ship it as FedEx and UPS have damaged radiators in the past. This way it should get a gentle ride back.

I replaced points, condenser, coil (as it had obviously overheated as the bottom was rounded instead of flat) new wires.  Now I have spark to all cylinders but I think the carb to cylinder flow is being blocked by some butterflies that are part of the gas to diesel lever.  I may try just spraying some gas in the intake tube and see if I get some life while cranking. The gas to diesel lever has many levers it turns to make the system work.

All the wiring seems correct after I switched the battery from negative ground to positive ground.  Coil did not get voltage until the polarity was switched, must be a diode somewhere.

It turns over freely and the oil is nice and black. Also took a sample from bottom of pan to make sure no water in pan. Now the oil bath air filter was 50/50 oil water but luckily the filtered air goes into a tube up over the valve cover and down to the carb. Took the crossover off and no slime in it so all seems well.

I just want to hear this beast run. Have to take it step by step and I mostly work at night due to 110 degree temps in Arizona now.

When she runs, I'll post a video here.....

Thank you for your suggestions....

Bart D. Hull

Laveen, AZ

You wont have fuel flow into the carburetor untill you switch the changeover levers from diesel to gas. In the diesel position the needle in the carb is held against the seat shutting off gas flow.    If I am late to the game with this post, disregard and happy wrenching. 

Your not late to the game. Does the decompression lever  move these two?   I think the diesel - Gas lever just moves the diesel injection pump setting, right?

I saw a large jet, but did not see a needle in the carb.  Would the needle stay up when I pulled the float bowl?

This one is a new one for me. I've worked on diesels and gas engines but not both simultaneously.

Bart D. Hull

Laveen, AZ

Looked closer at the pictures and I see that your carb is different than the ones I'm use too. If they do work in a similar manner, the decompression lever would be the one that allows fuel into the carb.

This may help with adjusting your linkages

TD gas diesel system td 001 (931x1280).jpg

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 7:15 AM, Kevingweq said:

This may help with adjusting your linkages

TD gas diesel system td 001 (931x1280).jpg

Kevin, what is the page that follows this page?  I don't think the whole linkage is there.

Is there a page with a carburator diagram or carb number?  I'm pretty sure a brass kit could help this carb out

Thanks

Bart D. Hull

It may be out of your way but Linsay tractor in Ontario Canada my have it it’s worth the email 

and you save 30% on the conversion to Canadian 🤫