As a newby to the BD264 engine, I need some help with the heater plugs.

Firstly, getting them out ! Seems the injectors have to come out first to get a deep socket on them?

Secondly, I was reading an old thread on here where mention was made of using Toyota plugs as a direct replacement. Anyone tried this or should I just go for one of the replacement kits with adaptors and so on ??

Thanks in advance 

Down under....have a few of the old BD's......264/281.......the only way to go is fitting   Toyota   glow plugs....this requires  a bush  made.....external  thread to fit into the IH head....internal thread to  screw the new glow plugs into......yes....an "adaptor'   as you mentioned....if you can buy them ready to go...that's quick  and easy....can be a bit expensive.....which is the machining  cost ...however the plugs seem  to be relatively  inexpensive ..and  very durable......and the big plus is..the old girls will start!!!

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for your thoughts. 

Machining an adaptor shouldn't be a problem although my metric taps are a bit thin on the ground!  I'm assuming the Toyota will have a metric thread.

The one question though is which Toyota plug is the one to go for??  Any ideas ?

Thanks again

John

John......the glow plugs we use...are just regular  Toyota  Land Cruiser  glow plugs.......in saying that I imagine there is a commonality  among the various Toyota engines

....and yes, the old plugs can be a mite troublesome to remove......!!

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike. I'll have a word with my friendly motor factors . They keep all the old parts books as well as the modern computer stored stuff so should be able to sort something out.

Thanks again

John