5088downunder

Chev Silverado RHD Conversion

Neat job always wondered why they didnt do that on the assembly line in the US russ

Do I remember correctly that post men drive right hand drive vehicles in North Dakota?

Are they special conversions or built that way in the factory?

2 hours ago, Pid 1831 said:

Do I remember correctly that post men drive right hand drive vehicles in North Dakota?

Are they special conversions or built that way in the factory?

My Father-in-law delivered mail on a rural route in Illinois a couple years till the regular mailman decided to take a couple days off and ruin weekend plans my Father-in-law had made at the very last instant!  Hard to believe it wasn't intentional.  But he always used a normal left hand drive vehicle, C1500 2wd pickup and Ranger 4wd pickup, sitting on right side of seat straddling the transmission tunnel. Bad winter weather he chained his Chevy up many days while on the route. No chains needed with the Ranger. Chevy had the 6.2L diesel, Ranger 4.0L gas V-6, Chevy got about 18-20 mpg, Ranger 10-12.

Rural mailman growing up always used a Rambler 4 door sedan. His second job was running a semi to Muscatine, Iowa every afternoon to Kent Feeds plant.  EVERYBODY in that little town of 100 drove trucks of one kind or another!

wonder how much extra cost goes into all that work ? looks crazy to me but creates some jobs i guess

There are several right hand drive jeeps in our area delivering mail. I think some other brands offer the “postal” option, but Jeep is the only one you will find on the lot ready to go.

9 minutes ago, brewcrew said:

There are several right hand drive jeeps in our area delivering mail. I think some other brands offer the “postal” option, but Jeep is the only one you will find on the lot ready to go.

A couple of the rural mail carriers here have the right hand drive jeep wranglers. A guy that owns a local shop told me they are a mess and poorly converted. I don't know much about them.

bet it makes the factory warranty null and void 

Lots of right hand drive Subarus here . Or they drive from the middle like Dr Evil mentioned

They also used to offer a kit that put a duplicate steering wheel and brake/gas pedal on the passenger side and had linkage that connected the two. Same setup for drivers ed cars when I was in high school. They bolted to the dash if I recall. The advent of airbags has brought that to an end I imagine.

6 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

bet it makes the factory warranty null and void 

Being HSV it is probably still has one.

Here is the Dodge equivalent

https://www.ramtrucks.com.au/

And the Ford

https://www.caradvice.com.au/290446/ford-f-series-to-be-built-in-australia/

An interesting sidelight on warranties here.  Apparently fitting an extra fuel filter assembly to a diesel Landcruiser or Hilux in theory voids the warranty.  From a recent new buyer who had one fitted by the dealer it seems Toyota has had enough fuel problems to actually allow such fitting as acceptable.

Neighbor back in the late '60s was a rural route mail delivery man. He had a 1968? Right hand drive Scout ll that he bought from my uncle that had the local IHC and Oldsmobile franchises. So you must have been able to order them from IHC that way.  Over the years I have seen several small Jeep SUVs, so they must be able to be ordered right hand drive. 

Hugh

5 hours ago, mudmakerhf said:

Neighbor back in the late '60s was a rural route mail delivery man. He had a 1968? Right hand drive Scout ll that he bought from my uncle that had the local IHC and Oldsmobile franchises. So you must have been able to order them from IHC that way.  Over the years I have seen several small Jeep SUVs, so they must be able to be ordered right hand drive. 

Hugh

Scouts were rhd in Oz so IH obviously had the gear available

I had the remains of 42 chev ute

it had everything on it, for either lhd or rhd,        steering box mount on both sides of chassis, holes in floorpan clutch,brake accelerator

Dodge Fargo Desoto pilot house from the 50’s were built to be easily either RHD or LHD. 

Chev don’t offer the Silverado in RHD, nor the Corvette. They are both being converted to RHD in Australia by HSV for Holden and they will roll of Holden dealers floors as brand new cars, just the same as in the US. Holden is a division of Chev and there is no reason they would need to covert them if Chev already built them. The US Postal ones must be converted by a third party  

Ford already built the Mustang in RHD. 

IH offered rhd until 1980. My dad had a 76 Scout 2wd and an 80 4wd for the mail route. He ended up with a Jeep Cherokee with a rhd conversion.

There is a Ford GT in Perth that has been converted to Right hand drive.

I believe it would be safe to say it's the only one.