Adam - NC

What color white?

What color should the white on my Farmall 240 be?  Just a bright white, or off white?  

should be 901 ih white

3 hours ago, ihman1468 said:

should be 901 ih white

Probably the hardest IH white to find.  The Cub Cadet 70 I refurbished couple years ago should have had a #901 hood.  Ended up with a special custom white from a early 2000 era Ford Mustang paint stripe.  The paint shop was the biggest one around, really surprised they didn't have all the IH codes.

The gloss white is not even close. If you ever see one painted with gloss white by one with the correct color you will know what I mean.  The Rust Oleum International white you show might be close.

Rust oleum has a color called canvas white it's darn close the white on the cab of the 856 is it

IMG_1688.JPG

• Like 1

I’ll talk to my paint dude and see if he can find a formula.  Might have to break out the spray gun after all.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I take a  4x4 inch estimate color of the white you want to Sherman Williams ,and they match it with computer,  they say it 90+ % something , that good enough for the me . It about 18 dollars  a quart. 

This the can ? They now have an even glosser one a avilable ,I have not tried it 

the red match picture is from y 🚜 560 diesel red it more cherry or that ox blood ,I can't describe it ,there's a difference . 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 5/28/2018 at 1:13 PM, ihman1468 said:

should be 901 ih white

There's more than one white color for these tractors? What about the IH red?  Is there a website or some other reference where you can look it up by year and model?

I took the gas tank off my 444 to clean it out, and I'm really tempted to paint it.  That could be a very slippery slope, though.

Withdraw my question... found this in another thread:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?make=International Harvester

27 minutes ago, Crashcup said:

Withdraw my question... found this in another thread:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?make=International Harvester

That looks like Auto-Truck colors.    If you look, they often don't even have Harvester Red or White shown some years.   I'd be pretty careful using that for tractors.   Cool site though!!

How far will a quart of paint get you?  I bought a quart to paint some front wheels and I have a set of direct axle wheels to paint as well. Just wondering if that'll use up most of it. 

....anyone know the proper colors for a 1972 60hp industrial diesel IH tractor? Yellow and off-White

Wanting to rattle can some panels and pieces...and have them match as close as possible. 

935 WHITE was not introduced until 1970 with the IH 1456 and 826.
All tractors prior used 901 WHITE.
902 WHITE was used on EQUIPMENT during this period of time.

901 WHITE will have just a hint of green cast. (Rustoleum Canvas)
902 WHITE is a lighter hue.
935 WHITE will be on the creamy side. (Rustoleum Almond or Valspar IH White)

I knownits not correct but I've always used the 935 white on everything I got, I think it just looks nicer, even on 1206s 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rusty shackleford said:

I knownits not correct but I've always used the 935 white on everything I got, I think it just looks nicer, even on 1206s 

I agree.  I used 935 on my 1206, 460, 656, 450, cub cadet original.  I prefer it.

However I did take some gloss white and swirled in just a little federal yellow for the wheels and hood of a cub cadet.  Turned out well.  I was working for Shafer Tractor down at Ottumwa at the time.  Did not have my normal colors available there.  That cub cadet sold fast!

• Like 2

Only the 935 has been available for years. Sold many a gallon of it to local tractor painters. I always thought it looked good. Seen a fresh painted 1086 years ago at a massey dealer. The white was as white as snow and the red was not 2150. Looked pretty bad. 

Just get CNH paint and don’t worry about matching to some other manufacturer. 

• Like 1

Kinda surprise to see this thread brought back. I’ve painted all the white on the 240 with rustolem canvas white.

118D038D-8753-4759-BCF7-41EDA3B1D10F.jpeg

• Like 3