Sign in to follow this  
FARMALL51

Low oil pressure ?

Ive got at IH 140 tractor and I noticed during a parade that after about 30 mins the oil pressure dropped to almost zero . I had recently changed the oil and put a new filter ( it has the factory spin on filter ) on it and now this happens after 30 mins of use . The same thing happend to a friend of mine on his 140 when he used the  same filter ( Napa Gold ) when he changed his oil . Only reason I used that filter was it was white and I was able to use the IH ( Oil Lube Filter ) decal I had made to look original . Should I change the filter to the CIH filter and see if that works ? . I bought another gauge and will try to see if it is the cause as well . the tractor does not Knock or burn oil so i know its not that . any help thanks . 

32921378_1806914742701207_29924372284765

16997686_10154804796899543_9413757041097

This is the other decal the one I used says "Oil Lube Filter"  not just oil filter 

What was the pressure before the filter change?

35 minutes ago, R Pope said:

What was the pressure before the filter change?

Normal operating . It was right where it was supposed to be  but everything changed after the oil and filter change . 

What oil did you use? I expect it should be SAE 30 WT. 

Oil like 10W30 or 15W40 has  less viscosity at operating temperature than standard 30 WT.

The filter does not normally  control oil pressure on an engine except to raise pressure  if the filter clogs.

Use a certified test gauge and verify the pressure, and compare to book.

That engine has a bypass type oil filter. In other words, only a small portion of the oil that is delivered from the oil pump is routed through the filter and directly back to the oil pan.  That portion of the total oil flow from pump is regulated by a small hole in the bolt that the oil filter mounts to or in the oil filter.   So, if the original bolt with that orfice in is intact, the oil filter will have no effect on oil pressure. You could totally block that flow through filter and it would not affect oil pressure. On the other hand, if that small orfice (hole) was not in place, or if the filter it's self has the controlling orfice rather than the mounting bolt, and the filter you used does not have that restricting orfice, it could be dumping a whole lot of oil right back to the pan.

Take a close look at your oil filter base, bolt, and filter to see where orfice is.  If orfice is in place within filter or mounting bolt. filter is not your problem.    I      have no experience with the spin on filters on that model but have worked on many of those engines in several other applications and the orfice is always right in the long bolt holding  filter canister in place.  But, at any rate, there has to be a restricting     orfice no matter what filter is used.    

IH had a fool proof system and then someone had to reengineer it to a spin on filter where wrong application of filters can mess up the works. 

Put the original filter back on it.

On 5/26/2018 at 12:50 PM, Doc Egor said:

What did you put in for oil?

CIH No.1 engine oil 30W

On 5/26/2018 at 12:51 PM, oleman said:

What oil did you use? I expect it should be SAE 30 WT. 

Oil like 10W30 or 15W40 has  less viscosity at operating temperature than standard 30 WT.

The filter does not normally  control oil pressure on an engine except to raise pressure  if the filter clogs.

Use a certified test gauge and verify the pressure, and compare to book.

Yeah it was the CIH 30W oil . 

Ok Thanks 

what was the NAPA filter number

parts book shows filter number 538836R1 which crosses to a napa 1051 bypass filter

image.png.9044caf1c82dc80935b44d7ca8ad5783.png

17 minutes ago, gordon76 said:

what was the NAPA filter number

parts book shows filter number 538836R1 which crosses to a napa 1051 bypass filter

image.png.9044caf1c82dc80935b44d7ca8ad5783.png

Orfice is clearly visible in center of this filter or I am dreaming.   This would be what you need . 

1 minute ago, pete23 said:

Orfice is clearly visible in center of this filter or I am dreaming.   This would be what you need . 

yes it is wondering if they gave him the wrong or a faulty filter. would not be the first time i have seen a bad filter from napa sold me one for my 6.4 that dumped 2 qts of oil in 30 miles before we caught it

Buddy was talking at work yesterday about wix no longer making napa filters and someone he knew of had a nearly new engine in a truck or car ruined from one. He googled it at break table and found article talking about napa using a diff filter co. Has this been discussed on red power? I dont recall....

Wix makes the NapaGold and the Napa Platinum; they are identical in construction and are made on the same production line.

33 minutes ago, gordon76 said:

Wix makes the NapaGold and the Napa Platinum; they are identical in construction and are made on the same production line.

Not any more from what im seeing and hearing

I know for a fact that wix makes some of the NAPA gold filters because I tested some at work last week. I have seen some of the wix filters not made properly for the application (SD-33 oil filter in my Scout)

Idk would have to ask buddy again. But he seemed pretty certain and pulled up something on google about it. 

5 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Idk would have to ask buddy again. But he seemed pretty certain and pulled up something on google about it. 

what i saw was napa filters made in china, just because it says made in china does not mean it is not manufactured by Wix, Wix is now owned by MANN+HUMMEL global manufacturer with factories all over china, and elsewhere 

17 hours ago, gordon76 said:

what i saw was napa filters made in china, just because it says made in china does not mean it is not manufactured by Wix, Wix is now owned by MANN+HUMMEL global manufacturer with factories all over china, and elsewhere 

The last filters I bought for our Deere’s on the farm from Napa were silver in color and said Mann+Hummel on them. I haven’t had any issues yet but took note of it when I pulled them out of the box!

These are made right here in Albion IL.  White casing and everything. I will see about where they could be obtained.

Luber Finer LFP2271

Fleetguard is another brand (not made here) but their number is LF3308 and it should have a white housing.

IMG_4971.JPG