Sign in to follow this  
IHhogfarmer

IH Liquid Manure Spreader

Today I was watching an old IH film from 1967 about IH liquid manure spreaders and their pit pumps that they also made(tow-behind). I’ve never seen any of these things for sale on TractorHouse or and where else. All I know from the film is that the had an 1100 and 1400 gallon liquid spreaders the model number stand for how many gallons they could hold and they also had one model of pump an 1150. What I was wondering is if anyone has seen one or had experience with them? How popular were they? How long were they produced?  

Again I haven’t seen them just a question that came to mind as I know little about them. 

Our neighbor had an IH liquid manure spreader. This would have been early/mid 1970s. I don't recall what size/model # it was and it was the only one in my part of the country. I don't know what ever happened to it, either. I remember they were shown in the IH Buyer's Guides until the mid 1970s(1974 or 1975 was probably the last year they were offered).

Thinking of these makes me also think of IH-branded tub grinders. They were rebadged Farmhand tub grinders offered as models 725 & 750 IIRC. They were offered in the mid-to-later 1970s. Not very many of them around, either.

Probably rusted out 30+ years ago by now

there is a picture of one in action in Wendel's "150 years of IH".  can't make out much but the round shape and a nice fan pattern...

Dad bought a new 1100 back in the 70s. Very first load it traveled about 300 feet before the axles broke loose and the tires leaned up against the sides of the tank.  It got cleaned up and went back to the factory. Next day we were using a new Honey Wagon. 

Jerry

16 hours ago, bitty said:

Probably rusted out 30+ years ago by now

No doubt I’m sure those pumps took a beating and probably long gone since there 50 years old now. 

E2F9540C-9ADA-4E87-AF12-60DDDA450791.thumb.png.b02bd5090eeabfe103e6bdead6295227.png

Here is a good pic of what they had in the film. I’ve never seen this pic before but I found it on the internet. In the film they show at the bottom of the spreader there is a pto driven auger and a gate controlled by the operator at the rear of the spreader. The other rod controlled by the operator is to open and shut the door at the top of the spreader. If you look closely on the pic you can see both of the rods at the top of the spreader. 

The film I’m referring to is on a Farmingtonimplement DVD, I would post a better picture of the set up but I don’t know if that is against forum rules?

Here's a pic of our 1/2 scale 1400 tanker we build, behind the 782 Diesel

02021501.JPG

• Like 1

02021502.JPG

These are the only liquid spreaders I have known to have a auger the length of the tank to keep an even spread when running up hill. The ladder was not an option, just added for easier access for wash outs and inner inspections, the unloading gate and upper fill cover were all operated from a pull rod from the tractor seat, fully adjustable to match different tractors.

02021503.JPG

• Like 1

Ruby Red that is very nice fabricating. I would like to see that in action. In the film they also said that manure could be spread up to 25ft. I also noticed that in your second pic the wooden rails that support the tank have IH stamped on them with a serial number tag?Was that stock from a full sized spreader is that custom work? 

Was an ih tanker on Craigslist around here a while back. Within the last year maybe. Was thinking it was advertised as 800 gal maybe

On 5/19/2018 at 9:52 PM, Ruby Red said:

These are the only liquid spreaders I have known to have a auger the length of the tank to keep an even spread when running up hill. The ladder was not an option, just added for easier access for wash outs and inner inspections, the unloading gate and upper fill cover were all operated from a pull rod from the tractor seat, fully adjustable to match different tractors.

02021503.JPG

I have 2 gehl liquid manure spreaders that have the auger in the bottom that also runs the pump in the back. They work really nice with sawdust but sand can plug up the auger and it won’t spread or will shear bolts. You do really nice work on your 1/2 scale recreations👍🏻

20 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Was an ih tanker on Craigslist around here a while back. Within the last year maybe. Was thinking it was advertised as 800 gal maybe

Interesting, but I only know of 1100 and 1400 gallon spreaders so not for sure about an 800. 

Around my area there isn’t really any liquid spreaders but a guy that we buy Showpigs from 2 hours away from us has hog confinement buildings that were built in the 90’s that have slated floors and a pit. He had a liquid spreader when we were there last but I don’t remember the brand but I know it had two axles and it was fairly new. 

I could be wrong, also the guy advertising goes around buying up stuff for scrap and advertises what he thinks is  the good stuff for what i consider pretty high prices, he may not of know exactly what he had when he advertised it.