TomH

McCormick ancestral home in a bind(er)

The 1745 Farm originally deeded to Thomas McCormick, ancestor to Cyrus McCormick is in danger of being taken by eminent domain. I'm hoping the conservationists this time will win out and preserve this important piece of American history.  I've seen it several times and the farm is located about 20 minutes from where I work.

http://cumberlink.com/news/local/closer_look/tough-row-to-hoe-the-fight-for-mccormick-farm/article_8890c06c-e425-59c1-94f1-c8461925686b.html

Let's hope this fails big time.

Buddy has his farm place taken that way.  Long drawn out process that he had alot of lawyer fees he never got back or true value of a homestead.

Interesting movie came out recently about eminent domain. I haven't seen it, but it looks interesting. It's called Little Pink House.

http://littlepinkhousemovie.com/

Five years of tax hikes AND they want a new school.

Only in the Commonwealth.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, exSW said:

And Pa sold the farm show complex last year for 200 million and are in the process of buying it back at the cost of 400 million..... 

43 minutes ago, exSW said:

Only in the Commonwealth of corruption,

here  $8m for repairs but since it is 50 years old cheaper to build new, oohh we can add this that and $12m over budget later.  took a farm then they built in swamp over coal mine ALL of which owner disclosed but engineer said wrong!!,then $2m to remove old, 5 miles away is another building been closed/un maintained for 18 years. they dont have to follow codes.

before all this started they sold one building ,then 18 months, after told owner had to meet new codes $1m in repairs,in court years until he died ,they got it back free + estate paid clean up,

we have had declining enrollment 20 years running , have built "$25m" in new buildings,that are on the public tab for.......!!!($100M)!!!!

they are consolidating 3 and removing another building. 2 years ago $3m for new (site) bus garage  where they ALL still set outside in a pothole lot.

in feb new board blocked ALL new or expansions!!.taxs going up 15%

now the fun part, we have been fighting 20 years to allow/enact and enforce the state program for permanent protection of farms,

top state agent at state request,met with us, took 1 hour to have all needed forms, 18 months later  they are tooo busy for 15 minutes to vote /approve the already drawn out state law.

official response "wait until ALL the gas wells are in and 20 new developments  built" we'll clear the agenda!!

while they give everything away to developer + no tax and wrangle/squeeze owner to sell under $3k acre