MTO

Trucker question

Beautiful long nosed Pete pulled up beside me at a light. 

I could only see his ballcap and sunglasses over the windowsill. 

It is common anymore to see this but usually only in the long hooded trucks. 

Has to effect his frontal blind spot.

Is this a comfort thing or have the seats been changed?

Hat on backwards????? 

NO mufflers!!!

LOUD Jake brake????

Yup, I've seen him....

Mike

It wasn't this truck was it?

IMG_4825.JPG

• Haha 1

It's a kid thing. Also extend the shifter way up in the air. Can't see how it would be comfortable. I like bein able to see all that's around me, I don't know, have a kid explain it to ya, I sure can't.

Farmer I used to work for had a young driver that put the seat to the floor in the T800 that he drove. Anyway on a snowy day he put the truck in the ditch not 200 yards from the shop. Boss told him I didn't put new air ride seats in the truck so you can sit on the floor.. driver was gone by summer.

2 hours ago, MTO said:

Beautiful long nosed Pete pulled up beside me at a light. 

I could only see his ballcap and sunglasses over the windowsill. 

It is common anymore to see this but usually only in the long hooded trucks. 

Has to effect his frontal blind spot.

Is this a comfort thing or have the seats been changed?

I see them round here on I 95, its a COOL thing  man!

I don't know how they even see the end of the hood. LOL

I sit lower because your weight is to be on your butt not your theighs and directly behind your knees. Putting your weight right prevents blood clots on longer trips. 

Most of the oil field newbies around here drive while peering through the steering wheel. If they last a year or so, they air the seat up. A few near crashes does wonders for the smarts!

4 hours ago, mikem said:

Hat on backwards????? 

NO mufflers!!!

LOUD Jake brake????

Yup, I've seen him....

Mike

You forgot the 8" pipes.

I alway's try to sit as if I am at dinning room table, upright, back straight, legs parrelel with the floor, bent at the knees, never slouch, be close enough to reach all controls without stretching or 'reaching'.

2 minutes ago, Lars (midessa) said:

I alway's try to sit as if I am at dinning room table, upright, back straight, legs parrelel with the floor, bent at the knees, never slouch, be close enough to reach all controls without stretching or 'reaching'.

Bingo

5 minutes ago, Lars (midessa) said:

Drove for about 20 years & approx 2 million miles, pretty well all in that position too. Majority was in. KW as well. I was proud to drive it, so had air in the seat too..... 

I had to drive with the seat down some because I had short legs. But I had it were I could still see everything in front of me and out the mirrors like you are suppose to. 

I to see them all the time. It's unsafe in my opinion. Tried it just for fun one time. Lasted about half a mile. Couldn't see past the end of the hood or see in the mirrors. And was uncomfortable for me. I drive a 2005 IH 9900 Eagle. So it's got a hood on it. I wanna see where I'm going. So I'm up where I can see. Just me.

And medically it's bad to. When my dad in law rode with me he sat in a solid seat, and that was the last truck. His PSA numbers rose. His doctor asked him if he was in a air ride seat which he wasnt. Switched his seat and his numbers went back down. I'm not a doctor just sharing my personal experience.

Belmond 2.jpg

In answer to the presented question there called low rider seats. Wouldn't pay to try and explain it, you wouldn't get it anyway. But one could ask why do some drivers have 120psi in there seat? All you can see is there shoulders through the window and would have to duck down to look out the side windows. But I only have 30yrs and a couple 3million accident free miles sit'n cool on my stool but what do I know. And for the record I'm almost 50 and yes I have straight pipes,loud jakes,and no my IH hat is NOT on backwards, and shifter is stock height!! 

Slick

• Haha 1

Boys trying to impress other boys.

Dont make no sense to me...

• Like 1

It is primarily a Peterbilt thing it seems.

Ron

8 hours ago, Steves46m said:

I sit lower because your weight is to be on your butt not your theighs and directly behind your knees. Putting your weight right prevents blood clots on longer trips. 

Yup!

The seat in the truck I drive is always up or down, no happy medium 

Also, have been told that the way the clutch pedal is in Pete’s it is more comfortable to drive sitting lower. 

Idk- just something I’ve heard 😳

They have to sit low to get their fat belly under the steering wheel. 

• Haha 1

I usually change my seat to fit what I'm doing.  In town I'll raise it up to see a little better.  When driving down the interstate I'll set the seat where it has the most travel.  I did put a clutch extender on my truck and it made a huge difference on how it pushes.

KIMG0093.JPG

• Like 1

And Dennis Weaver`s biggest problem in that movie was choosing to drive a nopar...

I drive a 2015 long nose day cab Pete, with no air in seat the top of the dash is eye level. I sit like that to force myself not to tailgate. I tell everyone that asks, " don't you want to see what's around you?" No, if it's that close to me it's to late...  Sitting low creates a blind spot to the front, but if your paying attention, no one will be in it anyway. Side mirrors work fine if you take 1 minute to adjust them.....I can see my trailer wheels just fine sitting low.

I've tried the air up the seat and look all around you.....you send all day looking right in front of you instead of half a mile up were you SHOULD be looking.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

I drive a 2015 long nose day cab Pete, with no air in seat the top of the dash is eye level. I sit like that to force myself not to tailgate. I tell everyone that asks, " don't you want to see what's around you?" No, if it's that close to me it's to late...  Sitting low creates a blind spot to the front, but if your paying attention, no one will be in it anyway. Side mirrors work fine if you take 1 minute to adjust them.....I can see my trailer wheels just fine sitting low.

I've tried the air up the seat and look all around you.....you send all day looking right in front of you instead of half a mile up were you SHOULD be looking.

Interesting perspective on the topic. 

I read it a few times and do NOT want to create any argument but,

might this reasoning explain the sitting trend of many young people in their cars? 

Young people in cars is a fad that just won't go away, 20 years ago when I got a license they would do it, seat back way low, arm stretched WAY out trying to steer, not for me....., I do it in the semi to avoid distractions to my side and stay back from vehicles in front of me.

One other thing is with air ride suspension, air ride cab, air ride seat, you kinda of get that car with bad shocks thing going on, seat bounces all day, not alot but your hips and knees bend and move all day, put it on the floor and it's like riding in your car, seat is solid to the floor. I suspect this is why some guys put 300psi in the seat, so it doesn't move.

On my old corvette dash 359 you couldn't get very low so I put a tall bug deflector on the hood. If you could still see the cars rear wheels in front of you, you were about 2 seconds back, which was Prolly still to close.