2+2love

Why would someone cut this up?

I can't see the pictures all that well,   but I'm wondering if it didn't throw a rod at one time.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that was a buy back tractor. I know there was a program to purchase tractors with lower emissions standards and those would have the frames cut and engines cut to make them useless. 

Now I'm upset.  I'll likely never work with machines that nice, and some government moron paid sombody to do that. I thought the "knocking in the head" terminology,  that I'd never even heard of until I joined on here, only applied to really old stuff.  That ford still has to be well worth fixing right? So,it goes back into the field, burns fuel once again, and what did the gov. gain?  Some guy is a little less in debt on a newer tractor. Boggles my mind. 

Since it’s at Colfax Tractor Parts, I can pretty well guarantee it was government work.  They get in a lot of tractors from California and Texas that have had that treatment. Jeff will tell you to find a good welder and put it back together (off the record, of course). Last time I talked to him he told me they can’t get away with that on California tractors anymore, they have to be disassembled before they leave the state now. 

TERP tractor. 

Your tax dollars at work.

47 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Now I'm upset.  I'll likely never work with machines that nice, and some government moron paid sombody to do that. I thought the "knocking in the head" terminology,  that I'd never even heard of until I joined on here, only applied to really old stuff.  That ford still has to be well worth fixing right? So,it goes back into the field, burns fuel once again, and what did the gov. gain?  Some guy is a little less in debt on a newer tractor. Boggles my mind. 

Join the club stronger800! I been buying complete junk tractors nothing that new well my newest is a 78 and fixing as i got the money! They dont have bank payments but it stinks wrenching all the time! I like fixing up stuff but sometimes you just need things to run! I bought worn out tractors cause thier a 100 other things to buy to when starting out farming! The wife said the other day well maybe you need to buy one newer tractor so i hopped on tractorhouse found a john deere 7330 2wd with cab and bar axles to put duels on said ok thiers a tractor that can pull everything we got! Had 10,000 hours did have new tires and was around $40,000 if i remember right seen a couple nice clean tractors high hours! Cant afford it! Low prices and if the price dont put me outta business this weather is i havent even planted my oats yet let alone corn! It wont dry up! 

Yep, the state/fed EPA.  California started the program years ago in boat diesels. Perfectly good Cats,Cummins and Detroits with holes blown in the blocks. they even went so far as to cut cranks in two.

After doing research I discovered TEXAS has also used Federal $ to destroy usable machines. High dollar operators get very generous trade ins backed by the Federal money when the machines are turned into scrap metal. Do not expect the current EPA to continue this operation.

15 minutes ago, oleman said:

Yep, the state/fed EPA.  California started the program years ago in boat diesels. Perfectly good Cats,Cummins and Detroits with holes blown in the blocks. they even went so far as to cut cranks in two.

After doing research I discovered TEXAS has also used Federal $ to destroy usable machines. High dollar operators get very generous trade ins backed by the Federal money when the machines are turned into scrap metal. Do not expect the current EPA to continue this operation.

small sample of BS program  only targeted models that got (excellent) mileage  ie  5.9..20 mpg+

only payment to buyer was in credits  ie  you buy x model  8 mpg and guarantee to use 2x hours per year = (4x the fuel usage)4x the pork)

if (and only) those conditions were meet you could deduct the credit.

2 hours ago, jass1660 said:

TERP tractor. 

Yep

OK, that's interesting. I heard of cash for clunkers but never TERP.

Rick

9 hours ago, oldtanker said:

OK, that's interesting. I heard of cash for clunkers but never TERP.

Rick

Same moronic ideas on a bigger level

I believe it was a 1370 case that sold today on auctiontime, , terp tractor with frame cut and hole in block sold for salvage.

13 hours ago, bitty said:

Same moronic ideas on a bigger level

LOL hope it works better for the buyers. A high school friend who went into banking told me that from what he could gather that somewhere between 40-50% of the new cars sold under the cash for clunker program were repossessed.

Rick

19 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

LOL hope it works better for the buyers. A high school friend who went into banking told me that from what he could gather that somewhere between 40-50% of the new cars sold under the cash for clunker program were repossessed.

Rick

I wouldn't doubt it one bit. Cash for clunkers ran when unemployment was sky high. Unemployed joe with a pos trades for a new car then lets bank have it back because unemployment check wont cover the monthly payment.

47 minutes ago, BOBSIH856 said:

I wouldn't doubt it one bit. Cash for clunkers ran when unemployment was sky high. Unemployed joe with a pos trades for a new car then lets bank have it back because unemployment check wont cover the monthly payment.

Yea and a lot of people didn't think it through. They had an old PAID for car and only had minimum coverage insurance. Sure it only got 20 or so MPG and they opted for that new car that got 35......plus picked up a payment and full coverage insurance. That made the old car actually cheaper to operate. So even if they were employed keeping that car could be an issue.

Rick

Wow, that's sure sad. Doesn't seem like all that long ago a Ford/New Holland Genesis was the hottest/latest thing going. That one's an early one(1993-94) as it says "Ford" on the hood(no New Holland markings yet), and even says "Ford" on the serial # engraved in the front casting like they did.

If you could fix the frame rails, it probably wouldn't cost a lot of $$$ to fix as the 7.5L Ford/New Holland engine was the equivalent of an IH DT-466...they put them in everything and made them for a long time.

FWIW, somebody on one of IH's Facebook pages shared a video of some guy in California delivering a John Deere 4430 to a salvage yard to suffer the same fate as this tractor. The 4430 looked like it was still a good tractor..ran good, the cab was good, etc. The guy who owned the tractor even said that the whole thing didn't make any sense(destroying a perfectly good, running tractor); but it was the only way he was going to get his emissions credit $$$$ from the state to help pay for his new tractor that he replaced it with. He had drained all the fluids on the tractor(except some diesel fuel, I guess); and decided he would run it just to see how long the engine would run before it died. Much to his amazement, that thing ran almost an hour (50-55 minutes IIRC) before the engine locked up. Right after that, a salvage yard excavator with a giant claw plucked that 4430 off of his trailer like a tinker toy-to be destroyed. Sad....

1 hour ago, SDman said:

Wow, that's sure sad. Doesn't seem like all that long ago a Ford/New Holland Genesis was the hottest/latest thing going. That one's an early one(1993-94) as it says "Ford" on the hood(no New Holland markings yet), and even says "Ford" on the serial # engraved in the front casting like they did.

If you could fix the frame rails, it probably wouldn't cost a lot of $$$ to fix as the 7.5L Ford/New Holland engine was the equivalent of an IH DT-466...they put them in everything and made them for a long time.

FWIW, somebody on one of IH's Facebook pages shared a video of some guy in California delivering a John Deere 4430 to a salvage yard to suffer the same fate as this tractor. The 4430 looked like it was still a good tractor..ran good, the cab was good, etc. The guy who owned the tractor even said that the whole thing didn't make any sense(destroying a perfectly good, running tractor); but it was the only way he was going to get his emissions credit $$$$ from the state to help pay for his new tractor that he replaced it with. He had drained all the fluids on the tractor(except some diesel fuel, I guess); and decided he would run it just to see how long the engine would run before it died. Much to his amazement, that thing ran almost an hour (50-55 minutes IIRC) before the engine locked up. Right after that, a salvage yard excavator with a giant claw plucked that 4430 off of his trailer like a tinker toy-to be destroyed. Sad....

They talk about years ago people would buy early D jds at sales and bet how long they would run with oil out. Some say over an hour.

Wealth destruction.  For the amount of gubment money spent on these TERP tractors (I remember seeing figures as high as 30-40K), it seems to me that there would have been a much better return on investment to tune up and update the existing tractor.

4 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Wealth destruction.  For the amount of gubment money spent on these TERP tractors (I remember seeing figures as high as 30-40K), it seems to me that there would have been a much better return on investment to tune up and update the existing tractor.

it was an excellent return for the elite,was ALL about creating wealth at your expense,burn more fuel so they sell more delivery /drill equip, make CRAP %^$^ to replace good equipment so you get in the groove of "new every two" 

the targeted tractors for the most part burned 1/3-1./2 fuel of replacement AND it stated right in the agreement we received must burn 2x current fuel to get the full credit..provided you were still in business to earn enough taxable profit to write it back down against...

BTOS that lobbied for more write offs to get credit for the write offs and loss's already built in,no normal farmer could run enough hours or pay for the extra fuel  < 2K acres