806D Injection pump rebuild time?

I am back again with more 806D questions haha. I was hauling the baler home Friday and tractor started "missing," for lack of a better term. To start the day I had checked the oil, greased everything, and filled up with fuel. I throttled down on the road and let it sit and sputter until it died. I waited maybe a minute and restarted it and it started fine. So I drove it the rest of the way home, about 3 miles. Along the way I had to do this about 4 times. I assumed fuel filters was my issue so I changed filters, started the tractor and bled the lines, but this seemed to make the problem worse. Now the tractor starts fine, but will only run about 10 seconds. The pump has a stanodyne tag on it, is it time for a rebuild? 

Sounds like typical flex ring failure, clogging the return creating high case pressure. You can confirm this by cracking the little window open on side of pump to relieve case pressure, once cover is loosened up engine should run and throttle up no problem. Once repaired make sure your return to tank is open. 

25 minutes ago, CIHTECH said:

Sounds like typical flex ring failure, clogging the return creating high case pressure. You can confirm this by cracking the little window open on side of pump to relieve case pressure, once cover is loosened up engine should run and throttle up no problem. Once repaired make sure your return to tank is open. 

Is this flex ring part of a typical pump rebuild or a seperate repair? What type of fasteners hold this window down, and where at on the pump would it be located? I am sorry, I am a machinist, not the world's best with a wrench! Thank you for the advice! There is rain in the forecast most of the week so I have a few days to get the pump off of there and fixed before time to mow hay again!

Yes flex ring is part of normal rebuild. 2 little flat head screws hold the timing window on, window is maybe 5/8 X 1 on side of pump housing. 

7 minutes ago, CIHTECH said:

Yes flex ring is part of normal rebuild. 2 little flat head screws hold the timing window on, window is maybe 5/8 X 1 on side of pump housing. 

Thank you again, I had been reading about clearing blockages from return line, but I really wasn't sure what it all meant. This will be a good way to check and see if this is the issue. I know when I cracked the injector on the cylinder closest to the operators seat, #6 maybe, it was still squirting fuel so that's why I was somewhat stumped. 

So I loosened the bolts on the timing window and tapped it with the end of my screwdriver, then I snugged the bolts back up and started it and it ran like a dream. I took it out to the shed now and am going to be taking my pump to a shop in Southern Illinois. Wish me luck with the removal and repair process, he said he may not get to it until the beginning of next week, so maybe I can catch up on a little sleep haha. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...