Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2018 crop pictures

On 6/10/2018 at 12:33 AM, bitty said:

First cutting that is way too mature is difficult to see in while mowing

IMG_20180608_080816704.jpg

I should note that we only had a few fields that were left because of MUD and then this is what results

Orchard grass?

3 hours ago, BOBSIH856 said:

Orchard grass?

Yes. We were a week later than optimal, rye we held off because of the rain and did haylage first so we salvaged the maximum value from the haylage as the rye was too far gone when the rain quit

I finished up spraying the last 30 acres of oats this morning. Sprayers all rinsed out ready for the second shot on canola if need be. Crops are advancing really quickly. I'm fairly happy with our canola. Should be able to get some decent pics in a few days. Rows are starting to show up pretty good now.  Should be more then enough to make a crop out of it anyways.  Neighbor seeded his on summer fallow and it's pretty patchy yet. 

Couple from today. Had a storm roll through and this little guy popped out of the cloud as I was putting the trucks in the shed. 

IMG_3459.PNG

IMG_3464.JPG

Barley field is really starting to take off. Got the old dirt bike going after siting for about 8 years.  Needs a little more work to get it back into riding shape. 

the wind finally died down Tuesday night, I got the peas all sprayed yesterday and held off on the the spraying today due to chance of showers that finally rolled in around 330pm only about 2 tenth here but 5 miles away had 2 inches

I saw on facebook north of biggar and down at Estevan got hit with hail hard 

Cousin lives just south of estevan not far from the border. He works at the power station as well. He was up here visiting when the storm hit but his wife sent pictures up of the farm. House has holes in the siding all over from the hail. He figured some of the other buildings in the yard would have damage too. Bit of a double whammy for him as his mother passed away last night too on top of it all.  Bigger guys are falling behind with spraying. You know what that means. More burnt crops from chemical drift as they get more desperate to spray. Hopefully they don't get any of ours as I was very careful with theirs.  Sunny skies today again but the winds kicking up pretty good. 

4 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Bigger guys are falling behind with spraying. You know what that means. More burnt crops from chemical drift as they get more desperate to spray. Hopefully they don't get any of ours as I was very careful with theirs.  Sunny skies today again but the winds kicking up pretty good. 

There was a guy spraying beside me earlier this week on a day I considered it too windy to fly the drone. I haven't checked for crop damage yet. We missed the severe storms here. Just slow light showers.  Not too bad for wind today but think I'll wait til this evening to spray the last tank on wheat.  I think the RR canola is only going to get one pass of glyphosate as its getting late for the first shot. Not bad for weeds anyway but there is sure a range of maturity as the crop emerges. This picture shows some of it. 

IMG_0690[1].JPG

Some bad weather along the Canadian border we had a inch of rain and a couple of tall cottonwoods blown over they were in a wet spot and rotted. 

Guess im famous now. Better order your autographs before the price goes up😂  Sent my photo and video into global news in Saskatoon and I see tonight they put it on the news. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/4277006/saskatoon-weather-outlook-funnel-clouds-flooding-fabulous-fathers-day-forecast/amp/

Had quite a bit of wildmoats and volunteer oats coming in our canola. Getting yellow now though. Couple more days it should be getting crispy. We typically grow invigor canola. Probably do a second shot with centurion at the very least. Maybe liberty again on the one quarter depending on. Canola is up 2-4 inches tall now. Odd spot where it hasn't come up real great yet but most of it is up pretty good now. 

Couple of shots from in the canola fields tonight. Still doesn't look like much with all the straw but it's starting to stretch up above it now. Wild oats and tame oats are starting to die out now as well. Another 10 days the whole field should be green and covered. Seems to really take off once it gets to a certain point. 

Came home to a unwanted surprise this afternoon too. Sometime between 9:00 and 10:00 this morning. some ahole was in here and stole the fillrite fuel pump out of one of our slip tanks. Was a almost new pump. Not very impressed tonight anyways. 

IMG_3477.JPG

IMG_3478.JPG

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Couple of shots from in the canola fields tonight. Still doesn't look like much with all the straw

Came home to a unwanted surprise this afternoon too. Sometime between 9:00 and 10:00 this morning. some ahole was in here and stole the fillrite fuel pump out of one of our slip tanks. Was a almost new pump. Not very impressed tonight anyways. 

Well that is a disgusting situation that some crook would help them selves to your fuel pump. Would have been a good time to have a trail cam set up and at least see who it was. 

Your canola looks pretty good. Better than mine. This last field is very patchy in emergence and it got hit with another unwanted surprise this week. The neighbour seems to think he can spray crops no matter how high the wind is. I've got a few acres of sick looking canola now.  I have not sprayed it yet and now thinking I should give it some time to recover. 

IMG_0695[1].JPG

The one neighbor here is like that too. He's got our oats once canola once and flax once really bad. Complained about the flax and he was a bit more careful after that for a while but eventually went back to the old ways. Hired man runs the sprayer now and it's hot and miss with him too. Half the time the ends of the booms are 10' off the ground.  Hopefully your canola comes back ok  

yah a guy works hard enough to buy all this stuff it sure makes you mad when someone walks in and takes it  

I'm happy enough with the canola considering how odd the spring has been. Was looking at some canola tonight and wheat and there's another flush of weeds coming in a little bit of it  not sure what I'll do with it yet  going to wait till the end of next week anyways and see where it's at  

my canola looks ok I haven't sprayed it yet hoping to start tomorrow, I agree with the certain point theory once you spray it it seems to really kick it into gear and go

sorry to hear about your pump we had a bad run with break and enters and stolen property over the winter lost quite abit of stuff along with pad locks and doors, I kinda figured who it was and they have warrants out for there arrest but they haven't found him yet, since he's left the area we've been ok 

On 6/1/2018 at 7:47 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

Db1486 that's a sad sight to come out to in the morning  hope it was a older tire at least  had pretty good luck with firestones here  still have the originals on the outside of the versatile  

Well I guess Its been a while since I've been on here lol. Didn't feel like 2 weeks but it is. I've even fell behind on looking for bargains on kijiji lol

That tire was about 15 years old now, but had one on the same tractor that was only 2 years old that blew out the exact same way, except I was cultivating. And there was as tire shortage in North America and no tire to be found. So at least thid time we had a spare and I was able to change it up within a few days and keep rolling.

Then the turbo went on the same tractor right when we were finishing seeding. So I was real happy when seeding was finally done lol. I think we had all the crops in by the end of May then some hay we seeded on June 5th or something like that. Crops are coming coming real nice. Even our early wheat is looking decent now. Started spraying yesterday and should finish wheat shortly and on to canola. But we still need rain. I don't think we've had 2.5 inches yet this spring, but 50 miles west I'm hearing up to 9 inches so far. They're super wet and having trouble spraying. Crops sure get ahead fast and out of control real quick. Alot of patchy wheat crops around my area too. Just too dry and too cold when guys were seeding

Here's some pics since it's been a while lol 

Spraying last night 

20180616_183020.thumb.jpg.2012a91de288ffbb0655fc5ec858f732.jpg

20180616_183013.thumb.jpg.d0d5b80e65accb54844bc773e7231eda.jpg

Then some from seeding

20180531_093155.thumb.jpg.4a120009c0ba6fa59a4fd35388c281ae.jpg

20180528_102400.thumb.jpg.b46da0f22a55b53479b6f15d42b216d9.jpg

20180529_181330.thumb.jpg.f733ac70f0aab3eb2e0cb7a1d20b41ff.jpg

20180529_101556.thumb.jpg.6742a6d582c1078835e49cfa4a8a4ceb.jpg

A few more

20180605_182336.thumb.jpg.fca28992cd83dd07c471d7a3af9d530d.jpg

20180605_073105.thumb.jpg.79ae71f10bd622b72199574826ffc319.jpg

Snapchat-1857933549.thumb.jpg.42575302f70e2312400fdf0aa1f4ff5e.jpg

We broken up some sod yesterday so we can seed more silage corn, because there wasn't much tonage per acre on this field, we had it chopped for silage.

839935665_uc062.thumb.JPG.4b9691b35f5297a195ce448ea923a3e9.JPG1520096979_uc063.thumb.JPG.c46d0a6119176e250ba555028f26ea52.JPG807048284_uc069.thumb.JPG.3bef6998c519a89274b983b3ce41655c.JPG

Here is something I tried out last week on 1/10th of an acre. I hanged grass up to dry because it was rainy lately, my grandparents did that back in Switzerland in the 50's to the 60s only first cut but only when the weather wasn't real good in making hay. Most hay that I feed to my goats is baled but I do make a little bit of loose hay that  I cut with a scythe (just to keep the old ways alive). Now I like modern equipment too but its always amazing to think how our ancestors did things. Any way the hay you see got lots of rain on it!847660169_uc072.thumb.JPG.3f58dcffa4490ec3f3d6c24e735a0dfa.JPG1847959843_uc074.thumb.JPG.e3e24e06b60a9fceb72c25ab6611a80f.JPG1243869603_uc076.thumb.JPG.776de46090d5cc49aef3fbf40f5201b0.JPG

19 hours ago, U-C said:

Here is something I tried out last week on 1/10th of an acre. I hanged grass up to dry because it was rainy lately, my grandparents did that back in Switzerland in the 50's to the 60s only first cut but only when the weather wasn't real good in making hay. Most hay that I feed to my goats is baled but I do make a little bit of loose hay that  I cut with a scythe (just to keep the old ways alive). Now I like modern equipment too but its always amazing to think how our ancestors did things. Any way the hay you see got lots of rain on it!

Now that looks like hard work compared to the way we make hay today. 

We finally got some decent spraying weather yesterday and very little wind for a change. I sprayed most of my canola except the part damaged by the careless operators on a windy day last week. Shot some video of transporting and filling the sprayer. Its fairly labour intensive too compared to the new ones. 

1 hour ago, Loadstar said:

Now that looks like hard work compared to the way we make hay today. 

We finally got some decent spraying weather yesterday and very little wind for a change. I sprayed most of my canola except the part damaged by the careless operators on a windy day last week. Shot some video of transporting and filling the sprayer. Its fairly labour intensive too compared to the new ones. 

Yesterday sure was a beautiful day for spraying. Was pretty thick fog this morning but is beautiful spraying today again. If things go good we should have most of the canola done today and just a bit left that's not quite ready to spray.  And I don't miss using the wheeled boom sprayer like you got anymore lol. Wouldn't go back from suspended boom now.  No more booms bouncing and breaking on rough ground, and wheels flipping in mud and ruts, and folding booms in by hand. Lol. Mind you I'm just the water boy,  so it's not really me that had those problems. But I do like when I don't have to fix lol

Ralph that certainly does look like a lot of work. Does the same job in the end though. I never had to spray with one quite like that. We had a Morris harrow bar with a blumhart sprayer kit on it. Did thousands of acres with it over the years to the point that it was just plain ol wore out. Got the 220 spra coupe after that till it was struggling in the mud to much. Got the pull type bourgault and then the rogator. It's by far my favourite for obvious reasons lol. When I went back to the pull type I really missed being able to spray over top of things. All those years we almost always filled on the top too. The pull type had a cheap handler built into it that worked better then hauling the jugs all the way to the top. Usually took the better part of a hour to mix up a batch. 20 liberty jugs gives the arms a workout especially when you triple rimse them lol. 5 cases of centurion as well but they're easy to handle at least. I've got it set up fairly good now with the new sprayer. Can be out of the yard nown in a half a hour or so with a 160 acre batch. Would be a little quicker if I had totes I think. 

Db1486 ya you've been slacking out on us good to see you catching us back up though lol. Always a good feeling when you finish after having a problematic spring. Good to hear the crops are coming along nicely. We've had around the same amount of rain here too. Maybe a bit less. Crops are doing good so far though. 

U-c that sure does look labor intensive. Our ancestors had it rough alright but they didn't know it at the time. Was just the normal thing to do. One day people will say the same about us siting in a tractor for 16 hours a day probably while they sit in their climate controlled office and watch the computer screen. Hate to see it come to that but I bet within the next 40ty years that will be the world we live in. 

Ralph that reminds me of the old versatile sprayer we had many many moons ago I remember as a kid my job was to push the booms in or out and dad hooked it together.

High clearance sprayers are nice but expensive I've been looking for a while but haven't pulled the trigger yet, i'm running a flexi coil 67xl now with a 1250 gallon tank that's nice we wore a flexi coil 62 out before the 67, yes the wheels do need attention from time to time but if your easy on it they're ok unless you hit something.

Crops are doin well here peas are done a few yellow spos from over spray but should recover, just finished canola tonite and cleaned out for cereals start tomorrow not sure if i'll stop due to heat or not sounds like rain on the way for the weekend and I would like to be done spraying as it is not my favorite job to begin with

Yes, its way too much work for an old guy with a bad back to be doing but until I find something better in my price range I guess I'lll carry on. I sprayed with a Morris harrow bar and Blumhardt attachment for a few years but got tired of removing and replacing the harrows every year. Brandt Quick Fold sprayers are selling pretty cheap around here and I'm kind of leaning that way. Older Spra Coupes are in my price range but that Peugeot engine is not my first choice. I'd like the newer Perkins powered units with the bigger tank too but again, its a big investment for my small acres. 

Thought I was going to finish up the canola last night after a day of grain hauling but discovered the agitator hose was spraying out under the sprayer tank and I need to get under there to do some fixing. Crops doing good. Not too hot or windy but we could use a little rain soon. 

This is what you guys need if you don't want to spend big money a high clearance, but don't mind having a pull type. Maybe not as fast as a sp sprayer but does the same job

Snapchat-172900640.thumb.jpg.8fd0f9e39a49e8d0ddec1db4b51f3f26.jpg

20180616_183013.thumb.jpg.c48d3ffd00980905b9b4e424a4dafe99.jpg

Well I thought I had closer pictures of it but I guess not lol

Almost bought one of them about 4 years ago. Dealer near by had a flexicoil  100' with a 1200 gallon tank. They were asking a very high price for it at the time but had been siting on it for a very long time. He said they'd take around 18,000 for it.They were asking 28,000. I told him I would'n't go above 12,000. Dad decided to be generous and offered him 15,000 for it. Dealer didn't get back to us. 2 years later it was still there. Finally took it to a auciton I think and sold it for about 10,000 if I remember right. Talked to him just before they took it to the auction and the other salesmen said ya I bet they'd love to take 15,000 for it now lol.