Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2018 crop pictures

my rain gauge said an inch worth of rain 6 tenth the Wednesday and 4ish on Friday, but all my neighbours are saying higher amounts like and 1.5to 1.8 inches so I must have a faulty rain gauge I set up another one last night, I usually get new ones every year due to sun brittle or forgetting and freeze cracks them

Dried up quickly I figure maybe tonight or tomorrow for sure I can get out there and finish the seeding and get onto the rolling the peas and probably spray them a 2 or 3 days after rolling 

Cut the grass this morning as it was a job that's been lacking due to man power around but I figure i'll get it cut before the zero turn has to much trouble also got my tomato's planted this morning as well but may need a few more 

Snapped a few pics from the better spots in the fields tonight. Oats in the secomd picture right by the house and the other pics are of some of the barley. 3rd picture is some ground I broke up last fall and cleaned up. Used to be a big slough there with a big ring of poplar trees all around it. Still a slough there but it's a lot smaller ten it used to be. 

IMG_3408.thumb.JPG.c5ba2283b5851362ce408f28b6dd43b2.JPG

IMG_3407.JPG

Those oats are ahead of mine but its only about a week since I planted mine. No pictures today but I could see the rows of canola as I drove by them. I was spraying chem fallow this evening til dark. Fields are firm enough and nice to have no dust. I caught up on the first cut of my yard grass too. It was getting to be a crop of hay but the old John Deere got it under control. You have probably already watched the video so I won't post the link again. 

Those oats were the first that we seeded. Only have 25-30 acres in this year.  Don't think you share the link here Ralph but I did see it on YouTube as I was browsing. No real rows to see in our canola yet. If you look real hard you can see them but with all the straw cover it's tough to see much till they get a lot bigger. Probably start spraying the canola thenemd of the week I'm thinking. Got some volunteer oats and a few wild oats coming in the low spots.  No rush with the barley or oats yet I don't think. Just a wee bit of volunteer canola just starting to poke through the ground now. 

Corn is looking pretty good, a few leave took it a little hard during a heavy down pour. 

IMG_20180601_154542515.jpg

IMG_20180601_154553123.jpg

Our corn is only about 2 inches tall now lol. If it doesn't freeze in august we might get a taste in time for harvest.

Took this pic of our little bit of wheat that we have seeded this year. Only 30 acres of it. Coming nicely though even though it's on the sand. Canola next to it is starting to come up in rows but it's nothing special to look at yet. End of the week it should show up better probably.

IMG_3413.JPG

finished seeding yesterday and got cleaned out and got another 3.5 tenth of rain last night wasn't expecting that much 

1 hour ago, wheatking said:

finished seeding yesterday and got cleaned out and got another 3.5 tenth of rain last night wasn't expecting that much 

Great to be finished seeding but now the pressure is on to spray. I've got chem fallow overdue and the canola will be looking for some glyphosate in a few days I think. Hard to get good conditions. Windy and now foggy this morning. Worse wind yesterday. I managed to get one field of chem fallow done on Sunday evening/Monday morning without getting stuck in standing water. 

Got tomatoes planted yesterday in ideal damp soil/cool weather conditions. Hey, its a crop. Pictures to follow (if I remember). 

13 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Great to be finished seeding but now the pressure is on to spray. I've got chem fallow overdue and the canola will be looking for some glyphosate in a few days I think. Hard to get good conditions. Windy and now foggy this morning. Worse wind yesterday. I managed to get one field of chem fallow done on Sunday evening/Monday morning without getting stuck in standing water. 

Got tomatoes planted yesterday in ideal damp soil/cool weather conditions. Hey, its a crop. Pictures to follow (if I remember). 

haha I planted my tomato's on Sunday, nothing beats the taste of fresh farm grow tomato's eh I love'em I have 6 in and planning on a couple more plants yet 

well the pressure is not totally on here yet for me anyways I got the roller tonight so I'm rolling peas tomorrow and hope to spray a field or 2 before weekend they got 10-15 mm for Sunday 

Mom put her tomatoes out yesterday or the day before i think. Usually ends up with way more then she needs. I eat ketchup but not tomatoes. Go figure lol. 

Picked up some liberty and centurion today. Going to clean the sprayer out tomorrow and probably start on Thursday or Friday. Have to spray my barley this week too. Got a few patches of wild oats coming and some volunteer canola poking through now too. Hopefully the weather cooperates. Radar shows a bit of rain coming through tonight yet. Hopefully it misses us. 

Checked the one canola field on the way out to my barley. You can start to make out the rows now.  Almost to the point where it will really take off. Once it gets to a certain size it seems to just take off from there. 

IMG_3414.JPG

IMG_3416.JPG

Started spraying canola today. Was going good up on our north quarter in the bush but when I got back home out in the open it was blowing the spray around a bit. Wasn't to bad if  I kept the booms close to the ground and kept the ground speed down around 8-10 mph but there's wheat on one side and some kind of canola on the other. Don't know what variety he grew this year. That particular field of his has had canola 3 years in a row now so it's anyone's guess.

Rolled peas yesterday they look good gonna start spraying peas Monday I think I see they have rain in the forecast all weekend which I'm sure will happen as Saturday they are forecasting a high of 33 for Saturday 

I like to spray a few days after I roll to give everything a chance to stand up again most fields aren't to bad except one has quite abit of grassy weeds, canola I drove around abit and a couple fields are all over for stages I got some just comin out of the ground and some in the first 2 true leaf stages 

cereals all look good will be awhile before spraying thou

Were using this bedder . I know nothing about them ,works good , when you get it going , to heavy ,the Super C can't lift it . Temperture. Goes up to 270 on the gage, so we have to rest it , I don't know if it better to shut off , run it in high idle no load at the end of the run . 

Not to good on slopes ! The wheel will slide off to one side and not cover plastic . 

What do you think ? How we rookies doing ? 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Another 8 tenths to an inch of rain Friday night so any concerns we had about drought are now history. Good news and some not so good. My canola emergence is really patchy and if I didn't know from past experience about it's incredible ability to fill in the gaps, I'd be concerned. There is a lot of later stuff just coming up right beside some of the big plants that have been up for a while. Might get away with just one spray of glyphosate on it this year as the weeds are only just starting to show now after the rains. j

Wheat is looking good from the ground but this overhead drone shot makes it look patchy and thin. I'm thinking its just the canola stubble showing through in the overhead view. The wheat is good and ready to spray for weeds and theres plenty of volounteer canola. I don't see it happening before Monday or Tuesday by the forecast. Its 9:00 pm and still too windy to spray. East wind and clouds in the West so we are likely in for a little more rain. Oh well, later spraying, catch more weeds. 

That hay crop behind the Merc is pretty short. Hopefully it will stretch out in the next few weeks before I cut it. Right now I could cut a lot of it with the JD riding mower. :-)

Merc wildlife wheat (1 of 1).jpg

Merc wildlife wheat 2 (1 of 1).jpg

Looks good, what are you going to plant in it? Soil sure looks different from what we're used to seeing up here. 

Nice shots Ralph. Haven't  had any more rain here yet. Almost done spraying the first round. Would've finished the cereals today but the last quarter has canola next to it and the winds been blowing from the east for the last 3 days here too. I gave up on the canola this morning and cleaned the sprayer out. Went onto the barley and wheat.  Crops are looking good so far. First barley I seeded is going to be a little bit of a split crop in places as the shallower seeded stuff is only a couple inches tall now. Rest is 3-4 inches tall now. Maybe even 5. 

Took a couple pics while I was spraying today. 

IMG_3431.JPG

IMG_3432.JPG

First cutting that is way too mature is difficult to see in while mowing

IMG_20180608_080816704.jpg

I should note that we only had a few fields that were left because of MUD and then this is what results

• Sad 1

Took a picture of wheat field today. I was back discing a slew and piece of land that was way out of shape and going to seed soybeans on them this week and spray the wheat. The wheat is tillering nicely and actually looks really good no disease in it and growing fast now. You can see the 5 acre spot I disced up and a 30 acre spot on the hill

8233672B-ED93-4662-998C-D617311983BD.jpeg

35C92117-D066-478B-B959-BD428E646D6B.jpeg

I leave for 1 night and we had abit of a plow wind go throu and 3.5 tenth of rain few neighbours lost a bin or 2 and the local CPS dealer had a fert bin fall on 2 brand new 10" grain augers 

hope everything settles down I got peas to spray been windy for 4 days straight

Bitty is that pollen or road dust? Sure can't see much that's for sure. 

Wheat looks like it's starting to fill in pretty good dale. Sprayed ours yesterday. It's coming along pretty good now. Especially considering it's on sandy land. 

Sure hope we don't get any windmoike that here. It did blow hard here all day but around 4:30 the wind started to shift to the south west so after supper I went out amdmsorayed out another 100 acres at home here. I've got 17 acres left to do.  If I'd known how much to mix for sure I could've easily finished it tonight. Then all I'd have left is that little bit of oats and roughly 300 acres of canola. Hopefully get that canol done pretty soon. Think I'll go on that next as soon as I can. Talk of rain off and on all week now. It does seem to be going around us mostly though. Didn't get hardly anything today but east of us got dumped on pretty good. 

IMG_3441.JPG

This is picture of wheat today same spot. If all holds up this 250 acre field is well on its way to 50 + bpa same place in field as Sunday that is how fast it will grow with moisture. Got 1.5 on Sunday night and last night together. Have 3.5 inches for the crop since may 10

D8D28175-6CD3-43DC-9122-F42DE5ADB885.jpeg

C105E821-0C21-443E-8891-7DEE2EDA08AF.jpeg

I am sorry this isn’t same spot as Sunday but same spot as picture on here before. I will post pic of Sunday spot tomorrow when I spray it. Plan to post pics of this same spot through all the spray process through harvest.

On 5/24/2018 at 9:54 AM, dale560 said:

Here is pic of our first wheat emerging. I must say for as dry as it was emergence is excellent on all crops I have seen. This is a 250 acre field 90 acres seeded into coultered corn stalks and the other 160 was soybean stubble. Wish the pics would show twin rows better. Dutch opener with 3 inch space.

9A62D1C5-98C6-48D3-A2AF-8DB8CE6E8DD8.jpeg

16A36995-0DCE-46AF-B27E-029655F97170.jpeg

This is the same spot 2.5 weeks ago

On 6/12/2018 at 5:23 PM, dale560 said:

This is the same spot 2.5 weeks ago

Yes, wheat is all looking good as far as I have seen. Not so great on canola as I'm still seeing a lot more bare ground between plants than I like. Lucky there has not been much weed pressure up to this point but I think that might change soon. 

This is the closest I got to a crop pic yesterday as I was trying to finish up a tank on the wheat before it got too dark. I had to lighten this picture up quite a bit to actually see the crop. The sunset was outstanding but today we are under cloud and the odd drop of rain. Only one tank left to go on wheat. 

Sprayer June 13 (1 of 1).jpg