Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2018 crop pictures

14 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Well that's a wrap. Ended up harrowing the straw into windrows and burning it late this afternoon in between rain showers. Dried up enough that we could burn and it just so happened they lifted the burn ban in the province a hour before lol. Finished up I am rain shower again. Good to have it all in though. It looked questionable for a while though while I was burning. Thought it was going to open up and poor but it went north of us. 

Oats and barley are starting to come up now.  This little rain shower should help make it pop. 

We missed those showers too but it sure looked threatening at times. I hear some areas got a real downpour yesterday. I've only got a couple of patches of "reclaimed land" to seed oats on and that should be all. Not much left to do in this area I think. 

IMG_0628[1].JPG

On 5/24/2018 at 10:48 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

Had a incident today with the versatile though, went out to finish the last 18 acres as I ran out of fertilizer at about 10:00 last night. Rained this morning so I was.plugging up in the heavy oat straw. Stoped to clear out a wad and when I took off I forgot I had the parking brake on. Very seldom ever use it. Got about 300 feet and there was smoke flying.

Dist was horrible here yesterday. It was just sticking to everything too.

Tried to upload s few pics but I'm having a bit of trouble tonight too. 

Thats really annoying when you go and forget the park brake. I guess we have all done it at least once. 70 series Case tractors were notorious for that. The dry disk brakes would burn up pretty bad and become useless if you did it too many times. 

The only dust blowing here is when I'm out stirring it up. The fields seem to stay put in spite of the wind. Big difference in moisture in a few miles. Went to finish a few patches on my brother's farm this morning and the soil is nice and damp for planting. The first pic shows the old 830 and tandem disk pre-working ahead of the air seeder. I can't get into this location at present with the sprayer and the spoons only kill half the weeds so I'm hoping the disk will  get most of the weeds. Got some good video to go with it. I had lots of help available as can be seen in the second pic. 

IMG_0640[1].JPG

IMG_0634[1].JPG

No more rain to speak of here. Seems to be all around us but nothing much at home.  Thankfully we're not suffering at the moment. 

Yes dad and I have both done it once now. Maybe twice for dad over the course of 34 years. First time we've had a actual flame pop up though. Sure glad it wasn't on a real hit windy day and that I did have a working fire extinguisher with me. Bought a new one yesterday to replace the one I discharged. First time I've ever had to use one but sure glad it was there. 

Crops are making good progress here. I had 40 acres of canola that was seeded on Sunday that I was going to give a quick crap of roundup today before it came up. Well to late. Went for water then went to check it and I could make out rows already so that plan was out. Hopefully it doesn't get to stressed on the sand and I can spray it fairly early with liberty. Some hemp  nettle coming I wanted to wipe out before it got to big. It didn't get sprayed before because dad didn't know what he was going to seed there for sure. 

Always nice when you've got extra help around that's for sure. Wish there was 4 or 5 of me around here somedays. 

Still lots of people i the field here yet. Wet enough it's balling up and kind of making a mess now though. Further east of me I've heard reports of 2 inches of rain so they'll actually be shut down for a while. 

IMG_3364.JPG

IMG_3359.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG

nothing for rain here either I'm still seeding away I got 4 quarters left moved onto the last one of wheat then 3 of durum and that will be a wrap looks like they had quite abit of rain for Wednesday but dialed it back to approx. 5 mm I should finished Tuesday night or Wednesday probably Wednesday I hope

help is always a thing you never have to much of I'm lucky to have a few helpers come around when I need them

my peas are comin up nicely they got a shot of rain on them awhile back and I haven't been around anything else at all to see whats goin on I hope the canola is comin I always stress out about it till it's in at least bolting stage

Some pictures of field work here. Been way too rainy . Class 870 with 4,000 cutterhead hours, Oxbo 334 merger, Fieldline FL822 carts (Mennonite made in PA) 7250pro pulling them,  (not shown) MX 270 pushing silage, and mowed with a Massey 9680 16' header

IMG_20180526_141115022.jpg

IMG_20180526_131058020.jpg

IMG_20180526_131018428.jpg

IMG_20180526_125210638.jpg

IMG_20180526_122247340.jpg

IMG_20180525_142026616.jpg

2 hours ago, bitty said:

Some pictures of field work here. Been way too rainy . Class 870 with 4,000 cutterhead hours, Oxbo 334 merger, Fieldline FL822 carts (Mennonite made in PA) 7250pro pulling them,  (not shown) MX 270 pushing silage, and mowed with a Massey 9680 16' header

Rain sure makes the grass grow. Nothing worth cutting here yet considering I've had less than an inch all spring. Really amazing how green the grass is for as little moisture its had. 

Some video from the magnum seat yesterday. Finishing up the last little oat field. 

Wheat is coming up on the canola stubble. Looking pretty good considering how little rain has fallen. 

IMG_0646[1].JPG

looks good ralph I took alook at some canola I seeded 7 days ago and it's comin up to considering the moisture we've had I'm surprised sounds like big rain in for Wednesday Thursday , I'm not sure if i'll get done in time thou, I took alook at some old calenders and the latest I've seeded is on june 6 so I guess I got some time if I don't get done

2 minutes ago, wheatking said:

looks good ralph I took alook at some canola I seeded 7 days ago and it's comin up to considering the moisture we've had I'm surprised sounds like big rain in for Wednesday Thursday , I'm not sure if i'll get done in time thou, I took alook at some old calenders and the latest I've seeded is on june 6 so I guess I got some time if I don't get done

I was surprised to see my first canola field showing plants above ground  this morning after only 8 days in the ground. It was on chem fallow so it was not short of moisture. 

IMG_0649[1].JPG

• Like 1

We got the last timothy Alfalfa field seeded yesterday. And started rolling it then too and got it finally finished today! Used the JD 4430 this time.1932861234_uc86017.thumb.JPG.56d58930d9489b9ccc87e84a4f4f338e.JPG1307296795_uc86018.thumb.JPG.cc9d8f211ccf0c913ff0a91beb1b9424.JPG1220085168_uc86019.thumb.JPG.0a2efebc12dcf434998c1755da397b13.JPG

Pic of wheat emerging . This field was seeded about 10th of may. Off to a nice start with limited moisture but enough.

8BC5BEE7-7AED-452B-BAD4-23C9C722B4C0.jpeg

eneded the day with 6 tenth of rain here at my yard and 7.5 down where i'm seeding I still have 95 acres left to seed would have been less I the master clutch didn't decide to call'er quits and looks like more rain on the way for Friday so I donno if I will get these last 95 acres in or not i'm seeding durum which is already abit longer growing season crop thinkin on switching to barley or something we'll see how things play out 

Got a look at most things the peas are comin on strong needing to be rolled and the canola was just poppin out of the ground with this rain it will really go the start of cereals went into really dry cultivated ground so it will probably just start to germinate now 

have heard of reports of flea beetles in canola  out there a neighbour just reseeded 80 acres just before the rain 

We got .40 hundredths of rain with more expected Friday . Have about 300 acres of soybeans left hoping to finish by early next week.

6 minutes ago, wheatking said:

ended the day with 6 tenth of rain here at my yard and 7.5 down where i'm seeding I

So you got lucky with the rain too. It was our first real rain this year and it will really help. I didn't have a gauge out to measure but I'd guess about the same as you got. Its good to see it can still rain. Heard there was a major hail storm at Moose Jaw last night. Piled up like snow drifts. 

I took this picture as the rain was ending here this evening. 

Rain May 30 (1 of 1).jpg

• Like 1

Ralph you need to start producing calendars featuring your scenic rural photography from Saskatchewan.

That's another calendar quality picture just posted above.

DD

On 5/30/2018 at 10:03 PM, Delta Dirt said:

Ralph you need to start producing calendars featuring your scenic rural photography from Saskatchewan.

That's another calendar quality picture just posted above.

DD

Thanks Anson. I should do that some day. 

Although to get back on the subject of crops, I took this aerial shot over the yard today showing my home quarter and some of the neighbours. The greenest part is my yard and the old pasture. Crop West of the yard is not out of the ground yet. Only seeded about 5 days ago and all I see yet is the weeds slowly dying from the burn off spray. Canola field is just too low to show up in this frame but the little plants are emerging really well and should show rows pretty soon. It was a bit muddy in the field for the trike this morning so I guess we had a good half inch or more of rain. 

Yard May 31 high (1 of 1).jpg

• Like 1

We had 4/10" yesterday, Calling for more tomorrow now again. Canola is starting to show up in rows here but you really have to look for it yet. Still pretty small. Have one quarter of barley that's  abit patchy yet. I didn't seed it quite deep enough. The drill isn't quite level and you can see the section in the middle that didn't go in quite as deep. Everything else is coming up pretty good now though. Probably start spraying the end of next week I imagine. Got some volunteer oats coming in the one canola field. After the rain is done I suspect there will be more weeds germinate too.

Nice shot Ralph do you have a aerial shot from last year to compare the water level? Bet it looks quite a bit different in some areas.

Well we finally got some rain over this way too. Got may be a tenth a week ago, so we started seeding again last Saturday. Got 4 tenths Saturday night, kept seeding Sunday no problem, then Tuesday we got 8 tenths at home. Some fields got a inch and a half. But we were back in the fields last night. Wrapped up canola and started oats today. 50 acres left and we can call it a wrap. I can't wait either. Too many little issues all spring that just kept setting us back

Our first seeded wheat still doesn't look to great, but it's coming. Everything else looks good and were actually seeding in moisture and warm ground now so things will grow quick. Good to see everyone is wrapped up or wrapping up seeding now. Alot of guys are spraying for flea beetles around here too.

Oh and have I ever mentioned I hate firestone tires! Lol. This is what I found Monday morning going to start the tractors in the yard

Snapchat-1895048452.thumb.jpg.931766c356689d7538662030c990659c.jpg

Snapchat-1895048452.jpg

it's been raining here all morning so far yesterday it kinda all got soaked in and now another shot on top yet, not complaining at all I'm really hoping this year is a bin buster with good prices to boot, after leaving the crop out in 2016 it's been a tough one to recover from last year was sorta a break even one (great quality, poor protein and ok yields) 

I can see my first wheat the Brandon variety from the road you can see rows so that's alright, kinda think I shoulda put some soft white wheat in this year thou, it's like canola it likes moisture and will bushel unbelievable the canola was patchy when I walked into it I hate looking at canola till it's full bloom I always think it looks like crap 

poor farmer, my 45" drill really wasn't level when I got it I almost think it wasn't set up right from new it was approx. 10yrs old when I got it, I got it better but not perfect the center section doesn't dig down like the very outside but as long as it rains it always produces a nice crop 

db1486 your not the only one with tire trouble I ran to town to get a load of fertilizer checked the truck over in the line up in town looked good got home and had 2 flats on the back the inside on one axle and the outside on the other on the same side 

Wheatking ours was kind of the same way. It was out quit a bit when we got it. Fought with the adjusters and got it close but the right side center section at the back needs to come downs bit more to level it out.  Openers are starting to wear too a little. 5500 acres on them now and they're starting to wear a little bit like a ski on the bottom so I'm real hard ground they tend to ride up in it.  

Db1486 that's a sad sight to come out to in the morning  hope it was a older tire at least  had pretty good luck with firestones here  still have the originals on the outside of the versatile  

Had another 1/10" today. Wish we could get another 1/2" to replenish the moisture. I can still kick down to dry ground after the halfninch we've had. 

5 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Had another 1/10" today. Wish we could get another 1/2" to replenish the moisture. I can still kick down to dry ground after the halfninch we've had. 

Looks like we won the rain lottery down this way. I'm hearing reports of 2 inches locally. Its been a slow, all day rain. Still some coming down late at night. I'd guess the fields are well soaked. Hope to get out for a picture or two tomorrow. Hopefully the rain will make it up your way too. 

Rained almost all night. Haven't been over to check the gauge yet but the yard is good and soaked now. Never rained hard but I could hear it most of the night anyways. Should be up pretty close to that inch mark now. Some places in southern sask sure got hit hard  . Up to 7 inches in some places. 

3 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Rained almost all night. Haven't been over to check the gauge yet but the yard is good and soaked now. Never rained hard but I could hear it most of the night anyways. Should be up pretty close to that inch mark now. Some places in southern sask sure got hit hard  . Up to 7 inches in some places. 

Here across the border we got over an inch. Most crops are up nice. It looks to be the beginning of a really nice crop.

With this rain and the heat coming back this week things should really take off. Weeds included. 

Went into PA today for a while and did some shopping. Went across the ferry going in and coming back. South Sk river is up pretty high yet and it's moving right along too. 

IMG_3401.JPG

13 hours ago, dale560 said:

Here across the border we got over an inch. Most crops are up nice. It looks to be the beginning of a really nice crop.

Looking pretty good here too. A bit of water starting to show up in some of the low spots that had dried up but not bad. I took this shot of my last canola field this morning. I'm pretty happy with the emergence so far considering the dry spring. Oats were starting to show too but I didn't get a picture of them yet. 

IMG_0673[1].JPG