Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2018 crop pictures

ya his is mostly the same truck, Sharp looking trucks to better looking than my 2002 Ih, he bought his around the same time as your dad bought yours so most likely came from the same fleet, I know he's redone the front power divider in it as I was hired to finish hauling his contract out 

seeding is goin along fine here as well haven't gotten stuck yet thou close as I like to make short turns and got close to a few sloughs, Had a little mishap last night I shoulda had canola left when I quit for the night and I didn't and found one of my hoses off the bottom of tank, my theory is the pressure from the tank accelerated the rate and blew it all out quick, walked this morning and think I found where it happened and went back and reseeded about 7 passes, about 320 of canola left here then onto approx. 1400 acres of cereals hope to be close to done next weekend, my goal for seeding is try to be done by june 1 

sounds like its gonna be a hot one this week with temps hovering close to the 29C most of the week 

7 hours ago, wheatking said:

seeding is goin along fine here as well haven't gotten stuck yet 

sounds like its gonna be a hot one this week with temps hovering close to the 29C most of the week 

No worries of getting stuck here as it is drier than I have seen in years. Starting to look like a replay of 1988 although it has not been quite as hot yet. That 4 tenths (first rain of spring) of rain last week helped but it won't be enough to germinate the canola I seeded I think. 

It was a nice quiet evening after yet another wild and windy day. I took this shot of the sunset while heading home. Should have stopped for a real photo and then you could have seen the neighbour standing up on the seed tank re-filling silhouetted against the setting sun. 

Ok, you will have to use your imagination. Looks like the wireless is failing here as I can't upload a 1.3 mb photo today. Cell phone was acting up the last two days as well as I lost signal and it shut down. People were wondering why my phone was shut off and I didn't even know. 

Ran out of canola seed this afternoon and being a holiday I figured the seed store would be closed so I shut down early. Nice working in dry conditions for a change although the ongoing lack of rain is getting to be a concern. There is still good moisture in this field as it was summerfallow but the guys seeding into last year's wheat stubble must be concerned. 

Still can't seem to upload a photo here. Upload failed. Maybe tomorrow. 

1988 was just before my time by a few years I've just heard storys and find it hard to believe most people survived it high interest rates and really poor crops

we had 3 tenth here last Thursday I checked my first seeded peas and there on there way sitting in mice moisture and will start poking through quickly, canola it's dry out but the ground is still fairly mellow I'm also goin just a tad deeper hopefully first week of june we get a really good soaker

8 hours ago, wheatking said:

1988 was just before my time by a few years I've just heard storys and find it hard to believe most people survived it high interest rates and really poor crops

we had 3 tenth here last Thursday I checked my first seeded peas and there on there way sitting in mice moisture and will start poking through quickly, canola it's dry out but the ground is still fairly mellow I'm also goin just a tad deeper hopefully first week of june we get a really good soaker

The difference in 1988 was that pretty well all crops were planted on black summerfallow with a good moisture reserve. The stubble fields don't have that reserve now as it was dry last year. Our only hope is timely rains through this growing season. And not as much heat as 1988 so far. 

Trying again to upload a pic from today. Its outrageous the price we pay for internet and can't even get decent service. I've downsized this photo considerably and it should upload in about 5 seconds. Guess we will see. A seeding shot from today as I finished up planting canola. Just a field or two of oats left to do now. Clouded up real dark and showers are around this evening. 

Magnum seeding May 22.jpg

13 hours ago, Loadstar said:

The difference in 1988 was that pretty well all crops were planted on black summerfallow with a good moisture reserve. The stubble fields don't have that reserve now as it was dry last year. Our only hope is timely rains through this growing season. And not as much heat as 1988 so far. 

My memorie of 1988 here was planting sunflowers on ground that had been worked 3 times that spring. Walking across field about this same day ground temp was burning my feet through work boots. Just like walking on pavement.those sunflowers didn’t grow. Some guys that seeded early in 88 and minimum tillage had durum that ran 15 bpa. Everyone else worked fields down. That 15x 6.00 durum in fall gave people over 100 an acre gross with gov payments. Then those guys had high historic yields so crop insurance kicked in a bit. I know our old crop ins guy moved back to farm with his brother in 88 said it was one of his best years.

On May 9, 2018 at 9:25 PM, AKwelder said:

Looks good guys,   Keep them coming 

way up here we are putting 340 peony roots in the ground on Memorial Day weekend, and about her 250 in pots.  I just stoped by the field on my way home, most of the snow is gone and it is starting to dry out, now we just need the frost to go out so we can work the beds

Is there some hitherto unknown use for peonies? Other than looking at? That is a lot of peonies!

i don't remember a drought here in 88 but I was only 4 years old too. 2002 was the worst I've seen for a drought. I checked some of thenoats and they're just siting in the ground yet on dry ground. 

Mixed things up a little today. Brought the 2188 out this morning to chop up that straw that was dropped behind the Massey last fall. Still a little wet underneath. Some of it chopped up not bad but some was still a little chunk. Harrowing it now trying to spread the straw out.  Didn't do any seeding today. Have 145 acres left of canola to seed once the field is ready. Dad was busy working up runs and sloughs in that field most of the day so he didn't get much harrowed yet. Hopefully get most of it seeded tomorrow and finish up on Thursday in time for the rain they're calling for.  Was a bunch of fires started a hour north of here last night due to lightning. Pretty sure I could see the smoke from the two that were side by side.  

Cleaned up the one line fence today on that same quarter too. Quite a few poplar trees had fallen over into the field and we were losing some land because of it.  If it wasn't so hot out I'd have fired up the cat and did a bunch of dirt work over there too but it runs to hot when it's almost 30°c out.  Skid steer cleaned it up ok but the dirt work was to much to start doing with it. Have a wash out that runs across the quarter and it's gotten quite deep and wide in places. 

Finished up the one quarter at about 10:30 last night. Was some dark clouds going over but we got basically no rain out of it. Just enough to make a mess of the windows. 

IMG_3327.JPG

IMG_3328.JPG

IMG_3332.JPG

IMG_3318.JPG

IMG_3321.JPG

IMG_3322.JPG

22 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

i don't remember a drought here in 88 but I was only 4 years old too. 2002 was the worst I've seen for a drought. I checked some of thenoats and they're just siting in the ground yet on dry ground. 

Mixed things up a little today. Brought the 2188 out this morning to chop up that straw that was dropped behind the Massey last fall.

Finished up the one quarter at about 10:30 last night. Was some dark clouds going over but we got basically no rain out of it. Just enough to make a mess of the windows. 

88 was hot and dry. Short thin crops and I could really fly with the old 510 massey picking up a 21 foot swath. Would have straight cut if I'd had a header at the time. Crop was in around the 10 bushel per acre mark. Dry and good quality. 

That straw you chopped up would have probably been baled by some of the cattle guys that are short of feed. 

I got my seed oats home today but they are still in the truck and air seeder. I decided to harrow pack the field of canola I just seeded so that was my day. Half inch of rain on the West farm but nothing worth measuring here at home. Spitting again tonight so maybe we get it this time. 

Got some seeding video uploaded now of me in the 7130 and air seeder planting canola over the past couple of days. 

yes 2002 was a bad one remember grasshoppers everywhere

finished canola last nite and got home and cleaned out and switched to wheat and got back att'er went at it hard all day the air conditioner had trouble keeping up today, no moisture yet here all the clouds blew over and went Ralph's way, the ground I seeded today was worked with the cultivator last fall and it's dry on top but really nice moisture underneath

poorfarmer this is the first year in many we didn't pull the combine out to blow through some swaths or low spots throu

Ralph another good video other than the small spelling mistake at the beginning haha

9 minutes ago, wheatking said:

finished canola last nite and got home and cleaned out and switched to wheat and got back att'er went at it hard all day the air conditioner had trouble keeping up today, no moisture yet here all the clouds blew over and went Ralph's way, the ground I seeded today was worked with the cultivator last fall and it's dry on top but really nice moisture underneath

All our fields were worked last fall and about the same as yours there. We had lots of moisture in the ground when we seeded 1 week ago. Checked all the fields yesterday and it's not good. Where there was moisture now you gotta go down 3 or so inches to find it. The wheat is just sitting in powder. Some fields are better but still not a nice even germination. 

We should be going on canola now but figured we'll wait for some rain. No point putting the canola and all that fertilizer in the ground if the rain clouds keep moving past.  Pastures and hay fields are not looking good either.  Mind you it was -4 Saturday morning lol

wow -4 thats something it's been hot hot here plus 27 here today and tomorrow is soppose to be 28 once I fill I pray I don't have to get out till the next fill hot, dry and mosquitos, so far I'm ok moisture wise weathernetwork has 10-15mm for Saturday so that will top things off I wont be done but after last year I'll take any rain I can get

8 hours ago, wheatking said:

Ralph another good video other than the small spelling mistake at the beginning haha

Good to see you guys are paying attention :-) I'll admit I threw that video together pretty quick late at night . Finished up editing while talking on the phone and missed that spelling error on the title. 

I'll also say we cut back on canola on one field as well. Planted wheat there instead. Although that is the farm that has been getting the rain so far this spring. Good little shower last night and its looking a bit unsettled this morning so we might get a little rain before I can plant those oats. I won't mind waiting a few days if it does happen. I see some of the early seeded cereal crops are coming up around here. 

Just now, Loadstar said:

Good to see you guys are paying attention 🙂 I'll admit I threw that video together pretty quick late at night . Finished up editing while talking on the phone and missed that spelling error on the title. 

I'll also say we cut back on canola on one field as well. Planted wheat there instead. Although that is the farm that has been getting the rain so far this spring. Good little shower last night and its looking a bit unsettled this morning so we might get a little rain before I can plant those oats. I won't mind waiting a few days if it does happen. I see some of the early seeded cereal crops are coming up around here. 

That is what I have to do tommorrow plant some oats for hay and on to soybean about a week left of planting.

On 5/22/2018 at 11:05 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

Mixed things up a little today. Brought the 2188 out this morning to chop up that straw that was dropped behind the Massey last fall. Still a little wet underneath. Some of it chopped up not bad but some was still a little chunk. Harrowing it now trying to spread the straw out.  Didn't do any seeding today. Have 145 acres left of canola to seed once the field is ready. Dad was busy working up runs and sloughs in that field most of the day so he didn't get much harrowed yet. Hopefully get most of it seeded tomorrow and finish up on Thursday in time for the rain they're calling for.  Was a bunch of fires started a hour north of here last night due to lightning. Pretty sure I could see the smoke from the two that were side by side.  

Cleaned up the one line fence today on that same quarter too. Quite a few poplar trees had fallen over into the field and we were losing some land because of it.  If it wasn't so hot out I'd have fired up the cat and did a bunch of dirt work over there too but it runs to hot when it's almost 30°c out.  Skid steer cleaned it up ok but the dirt work was to much to start doing with it. Have a wash out that runs across the quarter and it's gotten quite deep and wide in places. 

IMG_3327.JPG

IMG_3328.JPG

IMG_3332.JPG

IMG_3318.JPG

IMG_3321.JPG

IMG_3322.JPG

I like the view you have. We bought an 78 875 in 2010. We were farming with our 2 wd stuff and dad’s 8630jds. His jds were always unreliable and we bought an air seeder so we needed more power. I liked that 875 and will keep it around forever but the 976 pulls drill now just a little more comfort.

Here is pic of our first wheat emerging. I must say for as dry as it was emergence is excellent on all crops I have seen. This is a 250 acre field 90 acres seeded into coultered corn stalks and the other 160 was soybean stubble. Wish the pics would show twin rows better. Dutch opener with 3 inch space.

9A62D1C5-98C6-48D3-A2AF-8DB8CE6E8DD8.jpeg

16A36995-0DCE-46AF-B27E-029655F97170.jpeg

First corn planted last Friday 5-18. It' up today, Thursday 5-24, gotta love that Early Riser planter lol

20180524_175029.jpg

The 2090 and harrows got a rest today while I went seeding oats. The harrowed field looks good and smooth.  Little rain shower overnight and this morning laid the dust for a while but likely did not do much for soil moisture. 

IMG_0627[1].JPG

It's been a excellent tractor. Few little issues here and there from age but it's still very reliable and has good pulling power. This year it just plays with the 40' 5710 air drill,225 bushel air cart and the twin 1,000 gallon tanks. Worked it pretty good the last few years with all the rain we had though nice to have it easy going for a change thougjnin a way  as long as we get enough rain to bring the crop through anyways  we don't have any reserves now like we did last year  sloughs and slot of the subsoil moisture are gone  

Had a incident today with the versatile though, went out to finish the last 18 acres as I ran out of fertilizer at about 10:00 last night. Rained this morning so I was.plugging up in the heavy oat straw. Stoped to clear out a wad and when I took off I forgot I had the parking brake on. Very seldom ever use it. Got about 300 feet and there was smoke flying. Jumped out and sure enough there was a small flame in beside/infront of the fuel tanks. Jumped back in the cab and grabbed the fire extinguisher. Sprayed it in from behind and knocked the flames down. Shut the tractor down so there as no wind from the fan and crawled underneath to investigate. No harm done anyways but it's the kind of excitement you don't need too. 

Still got 15 acres left to seed.  Crops are just starting to come up here now today. Wasn't really anything yesterday morning and now it's a inch tall in places already. Had maybe a tenth of rain today so that will help a tiny bit. Further east they had quite a bit more. Road gets muddier as you drive east anyways. Some of my land should've got a good shower. 

Crop looks good dale. 

Come swathing time it's sure nice to have a nice smooth field to go over. Hasn't been the case here for a while though unfortunately. 

Dist was horrible here yesterday. It was just sticking to everything too. I came home in the dark and I couldn't even see the gate when I went to turn into the yard at home. rain settled it down today anyways. Won't take much to dry it out again though. 

Tried to upload s few pics but I'm having a bit of trouble tonight too. 

Direct drilled about 200 acres dry, only had 72 millimetres or 288 points of rain this year, getting desparate

017.JPG

Heard on the radio this morning Melfort got just over 1 inch of rain. That's only 30 miles away. I think we were on the western edge of the storm.  Even a mile west of here the road appeared drier last night. 

Still a little cloudy here this morning and almost looks like it could rain a little  was hoping to finish that last little bit today but I don't know if it'll dry up enough or not  

Got the pictures to upload this morning again. 

IMG_3337.JPG

IMG_3338.JPG

IMG_3339.JPG

Still love the sight looking down that hood. Versatile was king down here in ND. Steiger, IH , JD and case had the other half of the market. Sad thing now our 875 just gets used for odd jobs I need to put 4 new inside tires on it and a cab kit but it will stay around a long time.

Well that's a wrap. Ended up harrowing the straw into windrows and burning it late this afternoon in between rain showers. Dried up enough that we could burn and it just so happened they lifted the burn ban in the province a hour before lol. Finished up I am rain shower again. Good to have it all in though. It looked questionable for a while though while I was burning. Thought it was going to open up and poor but it went north of us. 

Oats and barley are starting to come up now.  This little rain shower should help make it pop. 

IMG_3356.JPG

IMG_3357.JPG

IMG_3358.JPG

IMG_3354.JPG