Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2018 crop pictures

With the Massey the chopper tends to plug up if the straw gets to tough. Usually manage to plug it once a year. If I’m on it I usually catch it right away and limit how bad it is. Dads plugged it solid a few times though and made a real chore out of it lol. 

Thats one nice thing about combining in the spring. Usually the grain is over dry compared to over wet from the previous fall.  Almost need to run the garden hose in the auger when you unload. 

Sire takes the fun out of it when you have to fight with it like that. 

On a completely unrelated note there’s a cat 299c I believe it is on the barga insurance auction site in Winnipeg you should have lol. Doesn’t look bad in the pics. It’s a stolen and recoverd unit. Forget the hours on it at the moment. Current bid was around 18 k last time I looked. 

Edited to add a screenshot of the auction. D2DDFCD6-247F-4AA8-AEE6-5C5E1233E042.thumb.png.06fb27a3a1d483159deba0126bf823b3.png

3 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

With the Massey the chopper tends to plug up if the straw gets to tough. Usually manage to plug it once a year. If I’m on it I usually catch it right away and limit how bad it is. Dads plugged it solid a few times though and made a real chore out of it lol. 

Thats one nice thing about combining in the spring. Usually the grain is over dry compared to over wet from the previous fall.  Almost need to run the garden hose in the auger when you unload. 

Sire takes the fun out of it when you have to fight with it like that. 

On a completely unrelated note there’s a cat 299c I believe it is on the barga insurance auction site in Winnipeg you should have lol. Doesn’t look bad in the pics. It’s a stolen and recoverd unit. Forget the hours on it at the moment. Current bid was around 18 k last time I looked. 

Edited to add a screenshot of the auction. D2DDFCD6-247F-4AA8-AEE6-5C5E1233E042.thumb.png.06fb27a3a1d483159deba0126bf823b3.png

Pretty much anyone with a conventional complains about canola straw plugging up when it's tough. Unfortunately, there seems to be more years of having to combine when it's tough instead of dry lol

Oh boy. You really shouldn't have put Cat on here lol. I haven't checked barga for a bit. Have to check it out tonight lol. It would look nice beside the mustang. Theres another online sale coming up with farm equipment around regina I think. Bankruptcy maybe? I forget but would like to check stuff out there if it rains this week

15 hours ago, db1486 said:

Pretty much anyone with a conventional complains about canola straw plugging up when it's tough. Unfortunately, there seems to be more years of having to combine when it's tough instead of dry lol

Oh boy. You really shouldn't have put Cat on here lol. I haven't checked barga for a bit. Have to check it out tonight lol. It would look nice beside the mustang. Theres another online sale coming up with farm equipment around regina I think. Bankruptcy maybe? I forget but would like to check stuff out there if it rains this week

Yea the Massey doesn’t like tough straw that’s for sure. Oats and flax are especially bad too. 

Just trying to help ya spend some of that new/old crop money lol. I’ve never bought anything from them, the wrecked stuff seems to bring big money even though it’s wrecked lol. Is that other auction a mcdougal auction? I don’t follow that area to closely as I very seldom get down to Regina. Wish I was in Edmonton this week. Give Ritchie auction out there now. ~ 12,500 lots going through the ring. Biggest auction ever there I believe. 

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Yea the Massey doesn’t like tough straw that’s for sure. Oats and flax are especially bad too. 

Just trying to help ya spend some of that new/old crop money lol. I’ve never bought anything from them, the wrecked stuff seems to bring big money even though it’s wrecked lol. Is that other auction a mcdougal auction? I don’t follow that area to closely as I very seldom get down to Regina. Wish I was in Edmonton this week. Give Ritchie auction out there now. ~ 12,500 lots going through the ring. Biggest auction ever there I believe. 

Ya thanks for the help lol. Somehow it seems to disappear on it's own 😂 No I haven't watched mcdougall to close. I think its grasswoods auction? I'd have to look again. Nothing fancy but older stuff like we run so it would fit right in lol. I don't think we actually have time for sales this spring. Got too much to do. Good thing the ground is too cold yet to seed otherwise it would be nuts around here. Dad is out deep tilling though and I guess its doing a real nice job. Not too often were on the field in April

Yes it's to bad that it goes easier then it comes unfortunately.  One guy going here now seeding on sandy land. They always start early has they have to much land to cover. I haven't touched the fields yet. Dry enough but I've been running around trying to catch up on everything. Got a few more things to do to the tractor and drill and then I have to give the john deere a once over. It doesn't usually need much though. Got some dirt I'd like to move with the cat but debating if I'll have time. Not sure how much extra diesel fuel we want to burn this spring either.

Big guys got seeding here by last weekend. Some more going this week but most guys are waiting for the ground to warm up yet. Still a few guys trying to get the crop off. Had a couple little rains come through but not much. We've been doing some deep tilling this week. No seeding till maybe next weekend

Nothing much moving here yet. Couple guys still combining but pretty much everything is off here now. Snowed and rained the better part of the day. Never amounted to much but the ground was probably white 4 or 5 times today. Got held up doing repairs so I don’t quite have everything ready to go yet. 

Should we just keep this post going this year rather then starting a new one? Or is everyone sick of our ramblings and picture posting? lol  

Haven’t heard from wheatking lately hopefully all is well over his way. 

87678D64-7EFC-40C5-BCDA-BA14671D64EB.jpeg

It finally rained tonight here. You can keep the white stuff lol. Should probably put this thread to rest and get a 2019 one going. I just wanna forget about 2018 lol

42 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Nothing much moving here yet. Couple guys still combining but pretty much everything is off here now. Snowed and rained the better part of the day. Never amounted to much but the ground was probably white 4 or 5 times today. Got held up doing repairs so I don’t quite have everything ready to go yet. 

Should we just keep this post going this year rather then starting a new one? Or is everyone sick of our ramblings and picture posting? lol  

Haven’t heard from wheatking lately hopefully all is well over his way. 

87678D64-7EFC-40C5-BCDA-BA14671D64EB.jpeg

Don’t stop, either put a new one up or keep going with this one, what ever works for you guys. 

I enjoy checking in

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AKwelder said:

Don’t stop, either put a new one up or keep going with this one, what ever works for you guys. 

I enjoy checking in

X2 on that. You guys keep it interesting for sure👍👍

• Like 1