Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2018 crop pictures

Used to see quite a few of those concord drills around here. Numbers have slowly tapered off now though. Still see some go through the auctions every summer though. Lots of acres were seeded with them. Bourgault has always been the big name close to here as the manufacture is only 20 minutes from my doorstep. If one of the 3 dealers in town doesn't have it I can usually drive to the plant and pick up what I need within 3 hours. They always want some notice, especially this time of the year.

Did some more harrowing today. Going to start spraying tomorrow I think. Hopefully no bugs to work out of the rogator.. Haven't spray tested it yet this spring. Got the skinny tires on yet as well as the old man said ahh you don't need the floaters on this spring(need a smiley face shaking it's head lol)

Did a bit of cleanup in the bush today as well. Dad's been playing around on our bush quarter just doing some clean up off and on. I was harrowing on the same quarter today so when I got done and went and helped for a little bit. Still pretty wet in the swamp. Surprisingly lots of frost in the ground yet though. Just after I got there he got the saw pinched in a tree, Skidder was hooked onto a couple of trees so he took them out while I went back to the saw. It wasn't pinched very bad and I managed to get it out by pushing the tree off the stump. When he came back he didn't know I had it out though and tried to drive the skidder back to it. Droped into a couple of soft holes and eventually got semi stuck against a old rotten stump. I jumped in a hooked the winch back to another tree and backed it out without and problem. Took out another half a dozzen trees and called it quits for now again. Still lots more to do but I had other things to do too lol.

IMG_3270.thumb.JPG.436778bf86feaf4fd9f9a696197de593.JPGIMG_3271.thumb.JPG.df83bb79a33d638593906adc38dea666.JPGIMG_3272.thumb.JPG.a55d549053a7fb06e2a0d4cefc2f44db.JPGIMG_3273.thumb.JPG.f46ea45affb5f2242cb2bc618d68e4e0.JPGIMG_3274.thumb.JPG.e6b73956d90128b26c49e4877acad298.JPGIMG_3275.thumb.JPG.8e5f540e6ab00b2ca8da6e33290f2ca1.JPGIMG_3276.thumb.JPG.59c03e491895b8198775bae2e5b1d82a.JPG

We need to get something different for fall tillage. Been looking off and on but its been so wet everyone's had the same idea so prices have been high. If we get into a dry trend now again maybe the discs and cultivators will get parked back in the line fences for a while again lol.

Sounds like a fair bit of wheat going in again. Hoping some guys back off barley acres as that's what I'm planting this year but everyone's got the big idea that they're going to cash in on feed barley again. Hoping the price doesn't tank to badly. You putting any oats in this year Ralph?

thought long and hard on barley as I enjoy growing and combining it, but the slough actually filled right up was dry last fall thought of a quarter somewhere not a whole lot of barley grown around here anymore, people got fed up with the malt barley game, i'm gonna roll the dice on durum again also thought about some soft white wheat as well but we'll see how things go might put in some barley if I can find some at the end the stuff I had sorta lined up is gone  

thought I heard the Kansas wheat crop isn't very good so far so that might boost some wheat acres up here 

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:15 PM, Sledgehammer said:

My only row-cropping. I help out a neighbor now and then around work schedule but this is my BTO sweet corn setup :) 6' field cultivator and 2 row planter

IMG_4780.JPG

IMG_4809.JPG

Pretty nice set up you got there Slegehammer.

Tony

13 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

Pretty nice set up you got there Slegehammer.

Tony

Thanks Tony. I built the planter and cultivator. Working on a plow for it now. 

Got in a mostly full day seeding wheat today and its getting dustier every day. Took this not very good shot as the sun was getting low. It does not begin to capture just how dusty it is. Times I can't see if the sprockets are turning on the seed tank. Driest seeding I have done in years. Reminds me of 1988. 

IMG_0605[1].JPG

We got rolling here yesterday. Been doing fieldwork off and on for the past week but finally got some seed in the ground. I'm really surprised how much moisture is in the ground. And it is cold yet so were not gonna push it. Some guys around here are done wheat and going on canola. I'd be a little learly with some of our nights below freezing. -7 Thursday morning! It feels late but really were actually right on time or maybe a bit earlier than normal for our area. And two weeks ago I figured we'd be rolling may long at the earliest. If things work out we should be on canola by then.

Here's a couple pics. Not sure why I didn't get closer shots lol

20180512_175048.thumb.jpg.85dec18731b492c68d22d90fd32905ac.jpg

20180512_175102.thumb.jpg.a898b910536636968f19a6a6e5a04e8b.jpg

12 hours ago, db1486 said:

We got rolling here yesterday. Been doing fieldwork off and on for the past week but finally got some seed in the ground. I'm really surprised how much moisture is in the ground. And it is cold yet so were not gonna push it. Some guys around here are done wheat and going on canola. I'd be a little learly with some of our nights below freezing. -7

Seeding is going strong here all this week. I'm about 2/3 done my wheat. Not rushing it as its early for me historically. Did not start til the 15th last year. If it stays dry and gets hot we will have a plenty early harvest anyway. 

Took a bunch of video today for another youtube but only got this one still shot while I was filling up about mid day. Planting into canola stubble. Its been anhydroused a few days ago which dried up the surface quite a bit. By the time I'm done these fields will be in danger of blowing away in the wind if we don't get some rain on them. 

Filling Up May 13 (1 of 1).jpg

8 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Seeding is going strong here all this week. I'm about 2/3 done my wheat. Not rushing it as its early for me historically. Did not start til the 15th last year. If it stays dry and gets hot we will have a plenty early harvest anyway. 

Took a bunch of video today for another youtube but only got this one still shot while I was filling up about mid day. Planting into canola stubble. Its been anhydroused a few days ago which dried up the surface quite a bit. By the time I'm done these fields will be in danger of blowing away in the wind if we don't get some rain on them. 

Filling Up May 13 (1 of 1).jpg

When it gets dry it sure does get fine doesn’t it? One of the drawbacks of nh3 but the necesssary evil.

On 5/11/2018 at 10:49 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

Hoping the price doesn't tank to badly. You putting any oats in this year Ralph?

Yes, planning  around 100 acres of oats. 

I took this shot this evening about sundown while finishing up harrow packing. Sure was dusty. 

Sunset harrows (1 of 1).jpg

I kind of think oat prices are going to climb back up next year again. We've got about 100 bushels in the air cart so that's all we're going to seed this year though. Didn't bother cleaning any to seed this year. Got a lot of last years oat crop in the bins yet. Actually a little from two years ago yet too. I think that might be a common thing yet. Of a guy can hang onto them I think it might pay off. Prices are only 2.40-2.50 around here now. 

Got the drill set up to go in the morning so hopefully tomorrow is a productive day. Would like to get the home quarter done anyways.  

Caught up on spraying for now  have 150 acres oat stumble to spray once I get rid of the straw that was dropped last fall only 10 acres or so but hate to burn it now  

They were harrowing in the field next to me  it had been fall worked last fall  looked like a dust storm over there at times. Tried to take a panoramic shot while spraying but bouncing along at 15mph it's not as easy as one would think lol   Found one little soft spot the other day where I filled the dugout in last fall.  The one main grid road is getting really soft again too on the one stretch.  Sprayer was sinking a little just driving down the road  

IMG_3282.JPG

IMG_3281.JPG

IMG_3277.JPG

IMG_3278.JPG

IMG_3279.JPG

IMG_3277.JPG

Well didn't do so great today. Got a whole 25 acres of oats seeded lol. Filled up with fertilizer this morning and I walked around the tractor and spied a return fuel line had cracked and was weeping fuel out. Just enough to make the line wet. crap down till we could replace it. Only thing we could find was hydraulic hose. Got some ends crimped on and went back to work late this afternoon. Replaced the suction line too while we were at it as it was starting to crack.  

IMG_3283.JPG

On 5/15/2018 at 8:06 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

Well didn't do so great today. Got a whole 25 acres of oats seeded lol. Filled up with fertilizer this morning and I walked around the tractor and spied a return fuel line had cracked and was weeping fuel out. Just enough to make the line wet. crap down till we could replace it. Only thing we could find was hydraulic hose. Got some ends crimped on and went back to work late this afternoon. Replaced the suction line too while we were at it as it was starting to crack.  

I know how that can mess up your day when the machinery gives problems. I'd have finished wheat today but the alternator on the magnum was really growling. I could hear it in the cab. Took a while to figure out what it was. Lucky I had a  new spare on hand but it took some time to drive home and get it, do the change over, and consequentlly did not finish what should have been an easy day's work. Today's sunset had some promising clouds in it and there is a real light show in the South tonight. Maybe some rain coming but I'm not making any bets. 

IMG_0615[1].JPG

my magnum alternator quit 2 yrs ago I kept spraying with it by the time I was done I had run the system so low the fan quit and the auto steer was abou to die.

Been rolling for a few days now all the yellow peas are in and got rolling on canola this morning, little frustrating the first field metered out right and the second one took 3 mor bags than it should of not sure wither to fiddle with the settings or just leave it and buy a few more bags if it comes to it usually fiddling makes it worse before it gets better.  we've had all types of weather here Tuesday was hot and dry, today was Windy hot and dry the clouds would built then move on finally at 930 when I was done for the nite fixing a hose it poured for 5 mins and has been sorta sprinkling ever since 

lot of acres done here wouldn't be surprised to hear of some people wrapping it up early next week i'm about a 1/3 done, usually I can just get a quarter a day done with all the moving and messing around 

Got the home quarter done yesterday. Heading for my rented land this morning. Hopefully be back at home by tomorrow night again. Got another 200 acres of barley to go in then a wee little bit of wheat and then we'll be on canola too. Hopefully by Saturday. Would like to be done by Tuesday or so. 

No rain here whatsoever. Cloudy and cool but not even a drop here yet. 

They say we had 4 tenths rain here overnight but it only laid the dust for now. Few more little showers today and again this evening so I didn't even go to the field. I'm about at the half done mark. Need to move down the road and do an oil change on the magnum. 

Having a day off from the tractor I finally got some seeding video uploaded to youtube showing a typical start to the day. 

Still no rain here. Where I'm seeding now there's lots of moisture in the ground yet so I'm not to bad off there. Next quarter is a lot of sand though so it'll be quite dry and is going to need some to make stuff grow. 

Didnt get as much done today as I'd hoped. That stupid electric clutch switch that I fought with last spring is acting up again. Though I had it fixed as it was good up till today again.  Not quite sure what's up with it. Few theories but it's a tough thing to trace down. Already did resistance checks on the clutches, added some extra grounds and checked all the connections. Switches aren't cheap either. 104 bucks for a simple little ticket switch. Got 116 acres or in today but it should've been 150 plus. Oh well we're still making progress I guess  

Few of the pictures I took today. 

IMG_3308.JPG

IMG_3307.JPG

IMG_3299.JPG

we ended up with 3 tenth at my yard neighbours to north had 5 tenth and further they had an inch my furthest land south had a tenth and abit so tomorrow i'll be back at'er 

poor farmer, was you semi an ex fleet truck outta Saskatoon? my neighbour has like the exact twin to that one right down to the fenders and stacks 

37 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Didnt get as much done today as I'd hoped. That stupid electric clutch switch that I fought with last spring is acting up again. 

Few of the pictures I took today. 

Good shots , especially the sunset. I forget the details on your clutch problem but mine was intermittently shutting off last year too. I think (hope) I have fixed the problem this year as it seems to be working as it should. The "Brilite" connector plugs between the tank and the seeder seemed to be the weak spot that would lose connection sometimes when I made a sharp turn. I used a small screw driver to expand the prongs on the clutch plug. That made it fit together a little tighter. So far, so good. I'm about to start canola so don't want any gaps like last year. 

Been going steady all week now here. 80 more of wheat then on to canola and oats. I'm glad we weren't the only ones having issues. Should've been done wheat today but the air seeder was giving electrical issues. I think we got it solved yesterday. Clutch was cutting in And out. Had a bad switch on the control box. Fixed that and had issues again after 100 acres. Bad electrical ends on the relays. Then yesterday some of the blade terminals on the relays themselves broke off lol. Just one thing after another. Oh and I got stuck pretty bad and wasted a whole evening after work when I should've been cultivating 2 days ago lol.

Probably gonna hold off till it warms back up to start on canola. The ground is still cold here. But at least we got a nice rain today. I was still able to go cultivating tonight though. Was just nice going. Some fields got lots of mousureand some were extremely dry. Sitting alright now I think 

20180514_140757.thumb.jpg.4d7a7032ee734e9da3772d2084fe7e9d.jpg

20180514_140925.thumb.jpg.3d060a7046dbaa51ce90ede043d4bfde.jpg

20180514_185005.thumb.jpg.40a63fca57a93881df4244d650637512.jpg

20180514_192953.thumb.jpg.b4c5cf713caf8b0cf8bdbb0ac292a958.jpg

20180515_192908.thumb.jpg.74971f12c1ed33e70863289d3f5a3ee1.jpg

Hey wheatking yes it did actually come from Saskatoon. The owner of bell trucks had a some trucks hauling blood and guts from a slaughtering plant. Black Mountain was the company I think. Dad bought it almost new back in 1992. Still only has 850,000 km on it. Been a real good truck. 

Thanks Ralph was a nice sunset last night so I figured I'd snap a couple pics. Always a nice view on this piece of land as it looks over the Saskatchewan river. The switch on ours keeps burning  out for some reason. You'll be going along like no ones business and all of a sudden it'll stick and quit working. There's a little spring in there that clicks and makes the contact. The spring gets hit and then it gets stiff and won't move like it should again. 

Wow db1486 looks like you planted it pretty good in there lol. So far no stuck pictures of me this year. Would sure like to keep it that way too. Puckered up once last night seeding through a old slough bottom but I lifted the drill up a bit and came through ok. Spun through though. Got another 200 acres or so then we'll be onto canola. Should be good to go here now I think. Guys are just starting on canola here now.  Usually once we're past may long the threat of frost is over. Not always but usually. 

Nh3 crunch hit here today. I was booked in for a 11:30 fill and that got axed. They pulled all the trucks in till they could get filled up again. Finally got filled at about 5:30. I cut my rate back a wee bit and just squeaked through on my rented land and managed to finish it. Got everything back home now again. Little bit of wheat to do tomorrow and then we're onto canola. 

Had a flick of gulls with me all day today  must've been a few bugs to eat or something they liked  I remember about 10 years ago my whole field was white with them  looked just like the fields do with snow geese  they'd lift up as I drove through them and set back down right behind me  never seem that many at once before  

IMG_3309.JPG

IMG_3310.JPG

the birds are usually looking for worms either earth or cutworms 

does your truck have a cat 3406 and a 15 spd trans in it ?

got abit more canola done today I think I finally got my rate right the first field worked out and second one didn't, just goin around all the pot holes are burning up bags as well I may be short  

8 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Nh3 crunch hit here today. I was booked in for a 11:30 fill and that got axed. They pulled all the trucks in till they could get filled up again. Finally got filled at about 5:30. I cut my rate back a wee bit and just squeaked through on my rented land and managed to finish it. Got everything back home now again. Little bit of wheat to do tomorrow and then we're onto canola. 

Had a flick of gulls with me all day today  must've been a few bugs to eat or something they liked  I remember about 10 years ago my whole field was white with them  looked just like the fields do with snow geese  they'd lift up as I drove through them and set back down right behind me  never seem that many at once before  

IMG_3309.JPG

IMG_3310.JPG

I had a whole pile of gulls on one field I worked the other day. It was like a horror movie lol because it would get dark when the flock would lift and fly above me till I passed through

Snapchat-1475317711.thumb.jpg.639b56842040bff5e262e516fd39b34a.jpg

Yes a good old 3406b but only a 13 speed. There's times I wish it had a 18 speed but it does ok. We just pull tandem trailers with it so it works out ok. If we had a super b it would be a little different. 

We're on canola now too. Down to the last 260 acres now. 

Managed to get stuck once today too with the tractor and drill. Was going good through the sloughs till I went downa gear to slow up for seeding canola. To much power to the wheels and not enough traction or speed. I quit while I was ahead and pulled it out with the John Deere. Came out easy. Dads been going ahead with the John Deere and the 36' cultivator working up sloughs. As a rule I can go through what he hasn't even been able to work but it didn't work this time lol. 

IMG_3314.JPG

IMG_3315.JPG

IMG_3316.JPG