Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2018 crop pictures

We've been down for 11 days now. Might have a chance to move that tough barley off the semi and get the combines home again. They're still siting in my rented land 9 miles away from home. They're full of tough barley too. Elevator said we can haul oats now so maybe get another bin emptied out for canola.  It'll likely go before anything else now again. 

Not really much for action in the fields around here.  I was going to go do some cat work but I pulled the turbo off the cat to check it over and it needs replacing. 

Went into princes auto's grand opening in Prince Albert the other day, nice sized store for the area and I'm sure they will do very well. Place was sure packed full in there both with people and stuff. Got my free tape measure and carried on, didn't see any deals I had to have. My brother had picked me up a couple things in Saskatoon at their grand opening the same morning so my list was pretty short lol. 

Does your tape measure have those Imperial metric inches, or does Canada use some off the wall 'measurement', that would be really confusing to non-Canadians?

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Art From DeLeon said:

Does your tape measure have those Imperial metric inches, or does Canada use some off the wall 'measurement', that would be really confusing to non-Canadians?

These ones in perticular have both imperial and metric.  Pretty much all the ones I use are just inches. Got a interesting one from lee valley a few years ago. It's a left handed tape measure. Have to read it backwards lol.  Very seldom do I use a metric tape measure. 

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

These ones in perticular have both imperial and metric.  Pretty much all the ones I use are just inches. Got a interesting one from lee valley a few years ago. It's a left handed tape measure. Have to read it backwards lol.  Very seldom do I use a metric tape measure. 

Yes, I think most tape measures here have both metric and imperial. Theres times I'[ll use millimetre or centimetres but usually its the old standard inches and feet. 

Combines were rolling beside me this afternoon cutting standing canola. Pretty sure it would not have been dry as we never saw the sun all day. 

today was an ok day didn't dry much but didn't get any wetter either , I dabbled around with the swather cutting a few low spots they are still fairly green yet so I figured they may as well be put down and maybe they'll dry down and get something out of them 

no combines rolling here yet but i'm sure some guys are getting antsy to roll sounds like some flurry's comin in this weekend so hopefully it wont amount to much, I don't wanna swath snowed down wheat again 

About 1 inch of rain right across the border here. Got some hay baled yesterday and worked on Baling .straw this morning before rain. We are cutting all the low bottom and lake areas in the harvested fields now. Hopefully finish next week. Going to get close to the 2000 bale mark when we finish.

rained on and off all day here again. Didn't amount to a lot but the yard is greasy again. Swaths are still saturated. Talking snow here for Sunday. Not much thankfully but any is to much right now. After that the forecast seems to smarten up a bit so hopefully next week is the beginning of something better weather wise. No go hauling grain today either. Elevator is loading cars today and tomorrow so I can't haul my barley in till Sunday. Booked in 2 loads so we'll see what happens I guess. No going anywhere if it's snowing or raining.

Took pictures today after rain. Been baling straw and hay looking to start on silage.something I love to look at is fields of nice bales. If you blow up bottom pic it shows hayland that we put up last all low or lake bottom

9089B4BB-1A13-4D2C-8B76-B7E2E2E8804E.jpeg

EC0F0A21-414E-443E-8E3D-43C297FF78EF.jpeg

EC0F0A21-414E-443E-8E3D-43C297FF78EF.jpeg

EEC4DBFE-D406-4575-B3C5-5BC83FD4D68F.jpeg

01DEE55B-D9E7-4EE6-86A5-339C791EA84C.jpeg

67FD9518-E1D0-45BC-B2A4-B7D4DB2D140D.jpeg

F3EFAAF9-A47E-4100-97F5-4B01A9979595.jpeg

I don't know if the bean fields will make it this fall here or not. Been freezing pretty hard at night now and a lot of the fields are green as grass yet. Going to be a very late harvest for them if they do amount to anything.  Calling for a chance of snow here today. Took this picture of the sun a few minutes ago. Looks like the middle of winter. 

Had to take a screenshot of it on my phone as it didn't want to cooperate. Still haveing problems with my phone uploading pictures. Pretty sure it's on my end though. 

IMG_3935.PNG

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

Took pictures today after rain. Been baling straw and hay looking to start on silage.something I love to look at is fields of nice bales. If you blow up bottom pic it shows hayland that we put up last all low or lake bottom

Its always great to be able to reclaim cultivated land. Seeing a lot of that here too after a couple of dry years. 

Well its all over for today. Neighbours were harvesting standing canola this morning again but fine rain started up about noon and now theres water dripping off the roof. The sun was trying to shine this morning giving me a little hope but I guess thats it for the weekend as far as harvest goes. 

Putting a picture of baler up. It is creeping up on 30,000 bales probably will hit it next year. It is probably my favorite piece of equipment behind new combine. This thing just keeps going but one day I would like to trade for a net wrap equipped. Total cost of operation from when we bought it and repairs with purchase price included is around 1.35 a bale. Picture of belts I just put in this year have about 1200 bales on them now cost 3200 dollars

384981AF-3538-4C2A-9AC2-CD1267C6BE69.jpeg

529168A8-D2E6-41F4-BFC3-9B354279850B.jpeg

18 hours ago, dale560 said:

Putting a picture of baler up. It is creeping up on 30,000 bales probably will hit it next year. It is probably my favorite piece of equipment behind new combine. This thing just keeps going but one day I would like to trade for a net wrap equipped. Total cost of operation from when we bought it and repairs with purchase price included is around 1.35 a bale. Picture of belts I just put in this year have about 1200 bales on them now cost 3200 dollars

I've seen a lot of the JD balers around and they seem well liked. For my hobby sized operation I do fine with my $1200 NH 847 chain baler. 

Well the snow is here. Took this pic about 8:00 am and its coming down thicker by the minute. Ground almost white now. The swaths were well soaked by the rain last night so I guess they can't get any wetter. Canola swaths should be fine when (if) it dries later this fall. Cereals, its going to hurt. 

Snow Sep 22 (1 of 1).jpg

No snow here yet we must be on the edge of it here thankfully. How you making out wheatking sounded like there was a lot more over your way. 

Thats one piece of equipment I've never run, a bailer. Always thought it'd be fun for a little while just to run one but never have. Actually this fall was the first time I've seen a bale come out the. back of one lol. Neighbour was bailing barley straw while we were combining so that's about as close as I've gotten to one. 

I think we were more in the brute of it, more than enough snow but I don't think I was as much as the 2016 snow on crop year, mostly done snowing just blowing around, haven't left the house yet to see what all I'm dealing with hopefully it wont be to bad this was fairly dry flaky snow the 2016 was big wet gobs, looks like on the radar it's heading towards loadstars way but i'm assuming it will power out before he gets to much  

guess I may as well take another weeks off but I figure we'll swath before we combine again as soon as it drys enough i'll probably hit the swather again and put some into a windrow and try straight cutting the rest 

also judging by the long term 2 weeks forecast it isn't gonna get very warm here either so we could be awhile 

1 hour ago, wheatking said:

I think we were more in the brute of it, more than enough snow but I don't think I was as much as the 2016 snow on crop year, mostly done snowing just blowing around, haven't left the house yet to see what all I'm dealing with hopefully it wont be to bad this was fairly dry flaky snow the 2016 was big wet gobs, looks like on the radar it's heading towards loadstars way but i'm assuming it will power out before he gets to much  

guess I may as well take another weeks off but I figure we'll swath before we combine again as soon as it drys enough i'll probably hit the swather again and put some into a windrow and try straight cutting the rest 

also judging by the long term 2 weeks forecast it isn't gonna get very warm here either so we could be awhile 

Its here. Been snowing all morning. Melting on bare ground but the grass is well covered and its not over yet. Took this picture just before noon. Not looking good at all. Statistics say we are 62% done harvest in Sask. I'm just a shade better than that but I still need a week of real nice weather if I'm going to get the rest dry. 

Sept snow 15 30 (1 of 1).jpg

Still no snow here thankfully. Sure didn't dry much though either. Going to haul grain tomorrow morning and get the combines home hopefully. Been siting there for two weeks tomorrow. Been working in the shop all day trying to get a wiring harness installed in the 94 dodge. Dad tore it apart driving over a canola swath this fall. Made for a bunch of work I didn't need. Couldn't get a new harness either so we had to get a used one from Alberta. It was supposed to be in good shape. Found out I had to solder in some of wiring. Some genius had cut out a bunch of wires that I needed that are crucial to it running. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Still no snow here thankfully. Sure didn't dry much though either. Going to haul grain tomorrow morning and get the combines home hopefully. Been siting there for two weeks tomorrow. 

Sounds like you got a break from the weather this time compared to us. I don't think any trucks will be moving in the melting snow on top of the mud from last night's rain. Its going to be one big mess when it finally warms up enough to melt this snow. Glad I got as much done as I did but wish it was more. 

13 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Still no snow here thankfully. Sure didn't dry much though either. Going to haul grain tomorrow morning and get the combines home hopefully. Been siting there for two weeks tomorrow. Been working in the shop all day trying to get a wiring harness installed in the 94 dodge. Dad tore it apart driving over a canola swath this fall. Made for a bunch of work I didn't need. Couldn't get a new harness either so we had to get a used one from Alberta. It was supposed to be in good shape. Found out I had to solder in some of wiring. Some genius had cut out a bunch of wires that I needed that are crucial to it running. 

“Are they normally open on sundays at your elevators? Here just during big harvest days one elevator will stay open on weekends. Good luck on wiring your pickup. That is one thing I enjoy putting wires together.

Not normally open on Sundays but quite often in the fall they are. Sometimes during early winter too if they're drying grain they'll take deliveries too as they have to have guys there on staff anyways.

Wirings not my favourite thing to do but I'll get it done one way or another if I can track down the last few wires I should be good to go. Think I've got the cut wires fixed now anyways.  This is what it looked like after dad got done with it lol. 

IMG_3896.JPG

Yes we got lucky this time. Hopefully it's the start of a trend for us for the rest of fall.  Hopefully all of your guys snowmwill melt quickly and dry up again. Some crop north of me got knocked down and broken off pretty bad in the last snow storm that went through a week or so ago. 

haven't had to much motivation to go check the combines over, howd you make out with the snow ralph the crops completely flat? we lucked out I think I think the wind help shake the snow off the wheat, as it is still standing fairly well few heavy spots are glued to the ground, 

it is gonna be quite wet for a week or so we had 9 tenth in the gauge plus this snow 

full moon is comin up here so maybe we'll get a good weather change 

Took this picture yesterday morning before the clouds rolled in. 

8D7B26A52CC15F106E0CA5704D66F4A8.jpg

Just reading peoples Facebook posts . Southern part of North Dakota 80 above today northern half 40 degrees and drizzly.

No combining here far a while now. Got all of 6 inches of that nice white stuff lol. Surprisingly the wheat is still standing but the snow stuck on pretty good. Had to use 4wd on the truck for the first time this year too

Snapchat-2085536742.thumb.jpg.599c70dd41ff95ae85829ea4696a299a.jpg

It's starting to look more like that here too. Was just a trace a hour ago but I bet there's almost 2 inches now.