Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2018 crop pictures

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, dale560 said:

We have just a little left a thunderstorm rolled through Saturday morning here from .35 to. 95 a mile away. I combined a little last night wheat seemed to be about 15 moisture. Got 40 acres left now and 35 acres of low spots seeded late I want to spray and combine next week.

We just got nicely rolling, but its feeling like a harvest of breakdowns lol. Wheat was down to 12.8 Friday night, 13.8 Saturday, and 16.8 right now lol. Should be rolling tomorrow again. Nothing to spray here now. The frost took care of that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, db1486 said:

We just got nicely rolling, but its feeling like a harvest of breakdowns lol. Wheat was down to 12.8 Friday night, 13.8 Saturday, and 16.8 right now lol. Should be rolling tomorrow again. Nothing to spray here now. The frost took care of that

They claim some of the harder to kill weeds you should spray after a frost. The low spots have some brome and quack grass from the Crp days so I want to spray that and I have about 15 acres of hill tops with kochia . Spray it and combine it later as it starts to dry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what we do here. After a good frost we'll spray everything once harvest is done. Usually everything anyways. Sure knocks the heck of out the thistle and quack grass..

Raining here tonight again. Not a lot but enough to make things extra tough.

IMG_3868.thumb.JPG.f57191590809adbc6d5183d5ad92678f.JPG

 

IMG_3886.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty of breakdowns and holdups here too but I guess it is to be expected running 30 year old (and older) equipment. Foggy damp morning gradually dried enough by mid day that I was rolling again. Before the first hopper filled I hit a rock and bent a pulley at the back of the header that runs the hydraulic pump for the reel. It was pretty ugly but was able to straighten it back to near normal. Lost a good hour or more though. Then the thunderstorms gathered around and put on a real light snow but little real rain. Think I quit about 11:00 just before the rain. Forecast is not good for the rest of the week. I could almost have finished the wheat with a few more hours. 

 

1660 Sep 10 (1 of 1).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Plenty of breakdowns and holdups here too but I guess it is to be expected running 30 year old (and older) equipment. Foggy damp morning gradually dried enough by mid day that I was rolling again. Before the first hopper filled I hit a rock and bent a pulley at the back of the header that runs the hydraulic pump for the reel. It was pretty ugly but was able to straighten it back to near normal. Lost a good hour or more though. Then the thunderstorms gathered around and put on a real light snow but little real rain. Think I quit about 11:00 just before the rain. Forecast is not good for the rest of the week. I could almost have finished the wheat with a few more hours. 

 

1660 Sep 10 (1 of 1).jpg

I just came in from cutting hay and it sure is another light show creeping up all around us again. It funny we never really had any storms all spring and summer, but it seems to be making up for it now. Was drizzling pretty good now too. 

The breakdowns just dont seem to quit here. Went to go swath the last of the oats this afternoon and just before dad left we noticed a canvas joiner was broke. Took that apart and 2 roller bearings were gone.... again!! Only cut 300 acres since we changed them a couple weeks ago!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've been doing not to bad on the break downs this fall so far but being only 1:4 done there could be a few to come yet too. Little bit we have had side counts up money wise though. 1,000 bucks doesn't get you far anymore buying parts it seems. 

Had around 1/2" overnight again so this week is a complete write off now. I won't complain to much though, my cousin lives in North Carolina in the way of the hurricame. I'll take a 1/2" over a possible 2 feet of rain any day. Chaos over there right now with people trying to leave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

We've been doing not to bad on the break downs this fall so far but being only 1:4 done there could be a few to come yet too. Little bit we have had side counts up money wise though. 1,000 bucks doesn't get you far anymore buying parts it seems. 

Had around 1/2" overnight again so this week is a complete write off now. I won't complain to much though, my cousin lives in North Carolina in the way of the hurricame. I'll take a 1/2" over a possible 2 feet of rain any day. Chaos over there right now with people trying to leave. 

Its true things could always be worse weather wise. I guess we are lucky to be as far as we are this early in September. Still plenty of time for nice weather to happen. Damp and cloudy here this morning and I have a feeling no combines will roll today before the rain they predict for tonight. Seems like the majority of the cereals are finished around here with some guys well into canola already. 

Unloading wheat (1 of 1).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was the forecast as of a couple days ago when I took a screenshot of my phone. Fitting they had a snowmobile ad on there I guess lol. They've taken the snowfall out of the forecast since but if it stays cold I wouldn't be surprised to hear of some traces of snow around here. 

IMG_3885.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got in from combining canola the forecast does not look good for the next 7 days they have a lot of rain and not very warm temps according to weathernetwork but the local radio station is forecasting just scattered showers all week

took the canola off a 10.2 figured it was close enough the straw was abit tough but with the Kirby spreader I was able to spread it out good 

were about the half way mark in harvest this field of canola being done will mark the half way then all wheat and durum left some guys are already 3/4 done around here 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday now and its the most annoying weather. Showers forecast every day but not enough rain to register in the gauge but justt enough to keep the straw and grain tough. The last wheat I did was Thursday evening. Testing 15.8 but I figured with the uncertain dismal forecast I'd rather put some tough grain in the bin than let it get more rain on it. There was moisture forming on everything by the time I quit at 10:00 or so. Rotor was complaining some with poor feeding. Cutterbar building up with wet straw at times. Wheat quality still looking good and it weighs the heaviest of any wheat I have ever combined. Over 400 grams per half litre. Was almost going to head out late this afternoon as the sun was starting to shine a bit and a strong East wind. Clouds rolled back in and I never did get out. Some guys straight cutting canola here but no idea if it is dry or not. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Saturday now and its the most annoying weather. Showers forecast every day but not enough rain to register in the gauge but justt enough to keep the straw and grain tough. The last wheat I did was Thursday evening. Testing 15.8 but I figured with the uncertain dismal forecast I'd rather put some tough grain in the bin than let it get more rain on it. There was moisture forming on everything by the time I quit at 10:00 or so. Rotor was complaining some with poor feeding. Cutterbar building up with wet straw at times. Wheat quality still looking good and it weighs the heaviest of any wheat I have ever combined. Over 400 grams per half litre. Was almost going to head out late this afternoon as the sun was starting to shine a bit and a strong East wind. Clouds rolled back in and I never did get out. Some guys straight cutting canola here but no idea if it is dry or not. 

 

I have a couple small spots left today Both in same big field. Today I did about 15 acres of low spot edges that were seeded later than main field and stayed green forever still was around 16 moisture. Tomorrow in same field I have about 20 acres of hill tops that have patches of Russian thistle and small kochia growing in thin spots. My plan was to spray them out a week ago but didn’t. Going to see if I can run it through just to get done and on to soybeans in a week. Guys are going on early maturing soybeans here but ours still have green leaves on yet. The weather is crappy down here also had a rain storm with .30 the other day but sun came out so have a lot of straw to bale and low spots of hay to bale yet. My brother baled late last night made 124 bales from 5:48 to around 1 am he said. He was going to try for another 100 or so tonite after cutting more spots all day. Ran the conversion on your wheat and it comes to around 62.5 pounds for our US or Winchester bushel they say. We have had some hit 63 to 64 lbs a bushel but it isn’t every year.  A couple years ago elevator said they took some in that weighed 66 and up to 68 lbs bushel.  This year another elevator was telling me they took in some wheat with 19.5 protein where normal is 14.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

haven't moved since Tuesday night, was raining Wednesday morning so I took combines home and put them in the shed, been cold and damp here all week haven't amounted to any rain till tonight, I was a heavy mist when I came in that'll really soak the swath down 

canola I combined that night my machine said 10.2 elevator said 9.9 so it wasn't far away 

had a few small snowflakes one morning, I see northern Alberta really got dumped on 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, wheatking said:

haven't moved since Tuesday night, was raining Wednesday morning so I took combines home and put them in the shed, been cold and damp here all week haven't amounted to any rain till tonight, I was a heavy mist when I came in that'll really soak the swath down 

canola I combined that night my machine said 10.2 elevator said 9.9 so it wasn't far away 

had a few small snowflakes one morning, I see northern Alberta really got dumped on 

Yes, I see its bad in Northern Alberta. Canola is late and just being swathed in snow and freezing temps. As seen here in this video by Northern Farmer. 

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes I saw that video I watch his channel quite abit I was wondering when he was gonna post another video to show the damage the snow left, even in Lloydminster country it is soaking wet and they are behind  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snow has reached over here now. Nothing at the farm but this picture is only 35-40 miles as the crow flies away.  A fellow who lives around creighton Sk posted this picture on Facebook this afternoon. IMG_3910.JPG.3143dffd9f7b28641f99e4525ca7b691.JPG

we had a inch of rain here. Everything is just saturated. It's still raining too. No combining any time soon here. End of the week at the earliest and that might be pushing it too. Calling for more rain this week too I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we've missed most showers till tonight raining well here the last few hours starting to be standing water around so we'll be awhile yet 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inch and a quarter here this morning which is the biggest of the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At last the sun came out this afternoon. Might be short lived though according to the forecast. I took advantage of the opportunity for a short drone flight and pictures. Can see my oat straw laying behind the yard, Neighbour's wheat stubble to the left. My field of canola swaths are just out of the frame to the lower left. They will need some sun and wind before hitting the combine. 

Yard Sep 17 (1 of 1).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About half inch of rain here this weekend. Sun was out for a bit as well but no combining till next week is my guess. Jewish holidays are right now so it'll be wet till they're over

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Siting at 1.5 inches here now. Snow at my brothers cabin just north of Prince Albert last night too. Just looked at the two week forecast and oct 1st is the first warm day forecasted. Calling for negative temps this weekend too. High of +5°C on sat.  Not going to dry much with temps like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 tenth here and looks like we get a break then more rain this week, lots are saying lot of time yet and the weather wont change till the full moon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2018 at 8:44 PM, wheatking said:

7 tenth here and looks like we get a break then more rain this week, lots are saying lot of time yet and the weather wont change till the full moon 

Lots of time maybe but every day gets shorter and temps get lower. We had a decent drying day today but we need at least another one I think before swaths are worth trying. The straw will certainly be degrading and should break up pretty good when we finally get to put it through the combine. Took this drone shot showing my canola swaths this evening. 

Merc end of driveway (1 of 1).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looked at some swaths I had down before the rain that eventually sank to the ground and they are soaking wet the later stuff I swathed is abit dryer but the standing stuff is dryer the straw is better and seeds abit more firm but still chewy so we'll be abit before we even try depending on what kind of weather we get this weekend (suppose to be more rain and abit of snow ) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wheatking said:

looked at some swaths I had down before the rain that eventually sank to the ground and they are soaking wet the later stuff I swathed is abit dryer but the standing stuff is dryer the straw is better and seeds abit more firm but still chewy so we'll be abit before we even try depending on what kind of weather we get this weekend (suppose to be more rain and abit of snow ) 

No combines moving locally yesterday but I heard that some did try and standing wheat was over 19? Standing canola near 14%. Back to clouds this morning and the radar shows showers moving up from the South. Its been a week today since my combine last moved in the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this