Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2018 crop pictures

Well I guess it's that time of the year again lol. Started to do a little fieldwork today. Harrowed some of the canola stubble just to smooth the field out a bit and spread some of the straw out better. Helps dry up a few of the low spots too. Crazy how much it has dried up though. I'm going through spots that I haven't gone through in probably 10 years now. Hopefully that's not a bad sign. Hopefully get some spraying done in the next few days and start seeding the end of the week. Looking at the fields it feels like I should be out there now getting at it but when I stop and look at the trees and the dates on the calendar it cools my feet a little lol. Managed to find one pretty good wet spot where for a bit I thought i might be in trouble. Got through ok though.

Only took a couple of pictures today. Was watching the fires close to me all afternoon. Went for a little drive tonight and the one big one that took off was only a mile and a half away from our house across country. There was another big fire 5 miles east of us where they brought in several water bombers that dropped fire retardant for most of the afternoon. They had a good sized ground crew as well. Didn't see the plains from home but I saw a couple videos on facebook tonight from one of the local people.

IMG_3258.JPG

IMG_3259.JPG

IMG_3260.JPG

Why does a International have GREEN fenders?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Seeding really got rolling here this week. I started applying anhydrous a few days ago. (Finished now). Driest conditioins I have worked in for a long time. Hard to believe I was cursing the mud and rain a couple of springs ago but a drought will change your way of thinking. Starting to re-think planting as much canola as I planned and maybe change back to wheat. Canola seed will lay in dry dirt and not germinate unless it rains. And it doesn't. Just crazy wind sucking out what little moisture there is.  On the positive side there is very little weed growth. Trees are just starting to show some green. 'll probably start seeding wheat in a day or so. 

Picture of the anhydrous truck doing a re-fill for me on the first day. 

IMG_0577[1].JPG

7 hours ago, augercreek said:

Why does a International have GREEN fenders?

I've got to give you guys a little bit of cultural diversification lol. 

Our soil moisture isn't to bad yet but this wind and heat that we had sure sucked a lot of it up. Little rain went though lay night but it wasn't even enough to settle the dust. Brother said Saskatoon had close to 1/2" though. Nice shower would green things up in a hurry here. Poplar trees are just starting to shows signs of life now. 

1 minute ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I've got to give you guys a little bit of cultural diversification lol. 

Our soil moisture isn't to bad yet but this wind and heat that we had sure sucked a lot of it up. Little rain went though lay night but it wasn't even enough to settle the dust. Brother said Saskatoon had close to 1/2" though. Nice shower would green things up in a hurry here. Poplar trees are just starting to shows signs of life now. 

Its so dry here that just today the municipality announced we have a fire ban. And a good thing too. There was a pretty big one on the Standing Buffalo I.R. Sunday that burned a few houses and a lot of bush and grassland before two fire departments and a few farmers could get it under control. Glad I don't have any flax straw to burn this spring. (Another reason not to grow it)

IMG_0584[1].JPG

Got all mine work once than put fertilizer and chemical down and worked again. Going to have the neighbors plant for me just for the precision of it. Unfortunately the 1256 had to sit in the field one night. Blow the gasket on the MCV.

IMG_20180504_114615830.jpg

IMG_20180506_200643751.jpg

IMG_20180504_195239732.jpg

• Like 1

My only row-cropping. I help out a neighbor now and then around work schedule but this is my BTO sweet corn setup :) 6' field cultivator and 2 row planter

IMG_4780.JPG

IMG_4809.JPG

• Like 1

Looks good guys,   Keep them coming 

way up here we are putting 340 peony roots in the ground on Memorial Day weekend, and about her 250 in pots.  I just stoped by the field on my way home, most of the snow is gone and it is starting to dry out, now we just need the frost to go out so we can work the beds

8 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Its so dry here that just today the municipality announced we have a fire ban. And a good thing too. There was a pretty big one on the Standing Buffalo I.R. Sunday that burned a few houses and a lot of bush and grassland before two fire departments and a few farmers could get it under control. Glad I don't have any flax straw to burn this spring. (Another reason not to grow it)

IMG_0584[1].JPG

There's been quite a few fires here too on the local reserve. Water bombers have been out twice now to save houses. They said the other day again now to stop burning as it's to dangerous. Still a bit of smoke flying though. 

Was all set today to go do some more work. Went to fuel up the tractor so I could leave and spoted a puddle underneath it while it was running. Looked and low and behold the water pump seal went out.  Got it put back together tonight now again so it's ready to go tomorrow. I'm hoping this is a bad spring for repairs again. Last spring was bad enough. So far there's been somthing every day I go to work though. Sometimes minor sometimes a little more major but still a pain none the less.

Not rolling here yet I got caught up in delivering a march durum contract so i'm a few days behind, it's shocking how good of time others are making this year a lot done most other farmers started the Monday we had 2 tenth to slow things down for Tuesday which was good to wash everything down hope to start on peas either tomorrow or Friday weather permitting they have showers in the forecast with a low of 0 tonite

were not in a fire ban yet anyways everything is really green here and looking good, there was one fire out by the border apparently a bird flew into the transformer and burned approx. 30 acres of stubble  

43 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I'm hoping this is a bad spring for repairs again. Last spring was bad enough. So far there's been somthing every day I go to work though. Sometimes minor sometimes a little more major but still a pain none the less.

Sounds familiar. Those metal chips in the drain plug on my 7130 have me wondering what i going on in there. Plus its started dripping chloride from a valve stem on the rear tire. Stop and get a new tube/ tire installed now? In a 26 year old tire? Or drive it til it breaks? Wish we could get shut down by rain but it never happens anymore. 

At least its good and dry for breaking up some rough sod on some reclaimed land. 

Monday I got to prep some ground then Tuesday I got stuck leaning to the right to see ahead....

F4844A6A-AF2F-4473-BA0A-CB8F07F8F24D.jpeg

A112F04E-082C-4DED-ADDC-AD6B92CB2D1D.jpeg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Sounds familiar. Those metal chips in the drain plug on my 7130 have me wondering what i going on in there. Plus its started dripping chloride from a valve stem on the rear tire. Stop and get a new tube/ tire installed now? In a 26 year old tire? Or drive it til it breaks? Wish we could get shut down by rain but it never happens anymore. 

At least its good and dry for breaking up some rough sod on some reclaimed land. 

If I were you before I get a new tube I would  change the valve in the stem along with the little o-ring, just put the valve to the top and jack up the tractor to take the weight off the tire to keep the liquid from coming out.   If that’s the problem, it’s a cheap and easy fix!

39 minutes ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

If I were you before I get a new tube I would  change the valve in the stem along with the little o-ring, just put the valve to the top and jack up the tractor to take the weight off the tire to keep the liquid from coming out.   If that’s the problem, it’s a cheap and easy fix!

Replacing the core housing worked well for me on the little John Deere but this one on the magnum appears to be leaking from inside the rim so I'm thinking it is the tube itself or the valve stem, 

15 hours ago, Loadstar said:

I'm in the same boat as you. Just fixed the tire, put back together and last night I see there's a bit of fluid again. Not losing any air so there must be another real small pinhole. I might just pump the fluid out and run without till after seeding. Would've got a new tube but it was Sunday, so that wasn't happening.

Finished rolling the last soybean field with the John Deere 2550 

5af4d20c8bd99_uc12080.thumb.JPG.19442acc4168b39be49f350ed42d0518.JPG

5af4d27a91f22_uc12081.thumb.JPG.764cb081283d89d3dde5021df47f3e4d.JPG

3 hours ago, U-C said:

Finished rolling the last soybean field with the John Deere 2550 

Looks like you have a lot of miles on those front tires. And is that mud on the hitch of the roller? I haven't seen any of that this spring. 

Still no seed in here yet. Spent the day harrowing again yesterday with no breakdowns so that's always a plus lol.  Back was sure soar last night though field was awful rough in places from all the ruts over the last 10 years. Harrowed through some sloughs that I haven't been able to seed for a long time so hopefully I can gain a few acres back this year. 

Snapes a few pics yesterday when I happened to think about it. 

IMG_3262.JPG

IMG_3263.JPG

IMG_3267.JPG

IMG_3268.JPG

Tonite will hit about 1/2 way mark on wheat. Nh3 situation is improving. Some pics pretty dry down here but low spots still have some frost. And my little guy and his buddies yesterday.

3AC88E9E-C49C-4DFB-9751-E5B6D8DD0A02.jpeg

3A97D486-0752-447C-BD3E-812D9DD240D0.jpeg

5BFB905D-AE86-4EC2-9A7C-9F242BD4646E.jpeg

EDCE6727-6DC9-4CF8-BF70-27C0BB914193.jpeg

• Like 1

This is our corn so far..... Some locals say never before the tenth of May here

IMG_20180511_181505400.jpg

IMG_20180511_181520555.jpg

IMG_20180511_181526770.jpg

IMG_20180511_181542370.jpg

Sprayer sitting ready to go. We will make around 3-500 acres of ryelage before anything else is done in the field . We did get some seeding done almost all before getting rained out. 

We plowed the last field to seed . We no-till all of everything usually but this is some poor ground, wet, rough and we wanted to smooth it up some

IMG_20180508_155529388.jpg

IMG_20180508_155505295.jpg

More pics from tonite. Neighbors farm across the lake. Way behind the anhydrous tank 2 miles away is our small local town. About 50 people a church and bar. And including crops and cows a picture of early morning cows

4099864A-0F96-4BFB-BE97-D9D2FAA377C3.jpeg

488C4F22-1D51-4C17-A66B-6940C7F03184.jpeg

C9BB40BA-D386-45E5-82C9-95825DA3179E.jpeg

0CF49401-97BA-4DD5-B98A-CCB6A5D68832.jpeg

On 5/10/2018 at 10:07 PM, Loadstar said:

Looks like you have a lot of miles on those front tires. And is that mud on the hitch of the roller? I haven't seen any of that this spring. 

Does front tires have seen lots of miles there the second per, that tractor is now 30 years old. Yes there was a spot or two were the frost came up and was very muddy ... I was very surprised because we had very little snow this past winter. Here is another pic of the roller pulled this time with the JD 4430, this was the evening before.5af668f013aba_uc12064.thumb.JPG.6b92d001c06e7ca3bf8a05a220cd060d.JPG

12 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Still no seed in here yet. Spent the day harrowing again yesterday with no breakdowns so that's always a plus lol.  Back was sure soar last night though field was awful rough in places from all the ruts over the last 10 years. Harrowed through some sloughs that I haven't been able to seed for a long time so hopefully I can gain a few acres back this year. 

Snapes a few pics yesterday when I happened to think about it. 

IMG_3262.JPG

IMG_3263.JPG

IMG_3267.JPG

IMG_3268.JPG

since we re done harvest early last year I worked up a section with the cultivator to get the ruts out of it worked up nice and got the ruts out from sprayer and the combine from spring thrash also got a chance to pick some rocks to, I might make that a annual thing to work up a field or 2 every fall to level it out and pick a few stones 

nothing pi**es you off like goin along the field and hitting your head on the roof of the cab due to them ruts you forgot about haha 

Another day of cloud and no rain but I finally got started this afternoon. Worked til dark and got my first 60 acres of wheat in the dry ground. Never got any pictures of the seeding operation but did take a quick shot of loading up the Loadstar with seed. I think this will be the 35th crop I have used that truck for. 

IMG_0602[1].JPG