Sign in to follow this  
farmerdukes

2001 mx180 jumping out of gear

Have an mx180 it jumps out of gear. Yesterday it did it if you got aggressive with the throttle. Seems to be when you get up into the road gears. You’ll just nicely get going in 18th it jumps into neutral. It does do it in lower gears as well if you pin the throttle after shifting gears. You shut the tractor off and start the whole process over again. It’s getting annoying having to shut it down on a regular basis. Anybody have any ideas. Local dealer was asked 2 weeks ago to come look at it and haven’t seen them. 

Does it say "Trans Fault" on the ICU when this happens? If so, finding the fault code would be beneficial. Sometimes what happens is that the MPH sensor doesn't read as accurate at higher ground speeds, causing the instrumentation to think the transmission is slipping, causing it to kick out of gear. The transmission controller watches engine RPM(through the alternator), ground speed, and what gear you are in. If they don't match, it thinks there is slippage in the transmission. Does this machine have radar? Is the MPH on the display accurate? 

I honestly didn't see anything pop up on the icu. Just the Neutral and Forward boxes start flashing. It does have radar on it. Mph didn't seem off.

9 hours ago, farmerdukes said:

I honestly didn't see anything pop up on the icu. Just the Neutral and Forward boxes start flashing. It does have radar on it. Mph didn't seem off.

I would make sure the radar is clean to eliminate the possibility of a bad reading from there. Not sure what next to check. Smarter guys than me here ( like SDman and others)

I had a conversation with dad last night and mentioned the alternator being used. He then said well i did replace the alternator last fall and since then the problem has been getting worse. He got the alternator from a place that deals in alternators but i have a feeling they are junk. He is still waiting for the dealership to show up.

Well, you might be on the right track. You might see if the "new to you" alternator has the same pulley on it as the old one. A different pulley diameter can also cause the same problem. Like I said before, the transmission controller compares the ground speed to the gear selected to the engine RPM seen by the controller via the alternator...any one of those three being incorrect will cause the trans. controller to think something a wrong. 

Also, have you used the PTO on this machine? The PTO controller uses the same engine speed sense as the trans. controller(via the alternator). See if the PTO kicks out at higher engine speeds like the transmission does. Good luck

So dad took the alternator back to the place he got it. The owner called the supplier and asked if the alternator was for a case ih. Turns out it was speced for something else. Apparently the case alternator has 8 diodes in it and this one has 14. So the owner replaced the diodes with the proper amount. So we’ll see how that works out. 

Hopefully you don't have a bad transmission controller, the one in our 240 acted up a couple days ago and you can't get them from CNH anymore, there is a place in Wisconsin that fixes them but it's not a quick process.  

14 hours ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

Hopefully you don't have a bad transmission controller, the one in our 240 acted up a couple days ago and you can't get them from CNH anymore, there is a place in Wisconsin that fixes them but it's not a quick process.  

Trust me Cliff, I feel your frustration and pain. We ran into a bad situation last winter with an MX270 with trans. controller problems. The guy was using it on a grain cart and it started acting up on the last day of fall harvest. When you put the shuttle lever in reverse you got a "Trans fault" message as soon as it was in reverse(forward gears all worked fine). The technician working on it determined the problem to be with the controller as his tests on the wiring and FNRP module all came back good. We sent the controller in to the place you mentioned....only to have it returned about a week-10 days later with a diagnosis of "no problem found". Fortunately for us, we happened to have another Gen I MX Magnum in the shop; so the tech borrowed the controller out of it momentarily...and the problem tractor worked fine in reverse. We sent the original controller back in after we called the repair place with our findings. About another week-10 days the controller came back to us with a sheet of paper saying they found the problem this time. It did work and, as far as I know, is still working today. But the tractor was out of commission for over a month. Fortunately, he didn't need the tractor in the time the tractor was down. Don't know why they didn't have a reman/core return program on those controllers all these years. I've probably thrown away over a dozen of them through the years after they had problems-there never was any core value for the old controllers.

The shop said they fixed 60 of those controllers in the last year so you would think CNH would try to get a couple in their parts system.  Luckily our dealer had a used 315 on the lot they are renting us at a good price but it still cost us 2 days of downtime.

Ran the tractor all weekend with the 8 diode rectifier in the alternator and it didn't act up once. So looks like we have found the issue and corrected it.

• Like 1