I recently purchased an 806D from my in laws, and it sat for several years. I have handled several small tasks to get it back up and running such as replacing  rotten hoses and seals and such. I changed engine oil and tried my best to flush the tank. One thing I am getting ready to embark on is fixing the PTO shafts. They run constantly, which I hope may be better than not at all. I went ahead and purchased everything I would need to replace the clutches: I didn't want to pull the cover and not be able to get it all back together the same day. Does anyone have pointers before the disassembly, or insight as to a problem I should look for as to why the shafts won't disengage? Any and all help is greatly appreciated! I will be baling hay with the old girl this summer, assuming I can get this situation resolved!

20171103_155818.jpg

My 806D pto shafts turns all the time also when I don't have equipment attached. Ran round baler and disc bind with mine when they was hooked up pto quit turning until I engaged it. Know it's not right like that but I got by

A tip...park the tractor pointing downhill when you remove the PTO, you won't lose so much oil.

Have you put a load on the PTO? Sometimes they turn when there is no implement attsched to them.

What he said.  Wayyyy to dangerous to be running one like that.  I have had them go bad twice, can remember each one clear as day:  first time I was greasing a Tedder, and when I turned a  spool to align a U-joint, the whole thing started to creep. Other time I was wiping the expellor off on the side of a slinger manure spreader ...and it started to turn on its own. Both dangerous. Both removed from the implements that day.    You have the oarts, get a manual, it's only an afternoons job, but if you mess it up and or don't do it all....you'll be doing it again.  First time around, I think I'd recommend you  hire a guy to do it. Dangerous. 

On 4/25/2018 at 9:47 AM, Wes806 said:

My 806D pto shafts turns all the time also when I don't have equipment attached. Ran round baler and disc bind with mine when they was hooked up pto quit turning until I engaged it. Know it's not right like that but I got by

I hooked mine up to the conditioner and it quit as well. I may try to get through the first cutting with it like this and then try to get the clutch replaced by 4th of July. Thank you, I have loved this tractor so far. It and the 560D have both been learning experiences for me!

On 4/25/2018 at 9:34 PM, stronger800 said:

What he said.  Wayyyy to dangerous to be running one like that.  I have had them go bad twice, can remember each one clear as day:  first time I was greasing a Tedder, and when I turned a  spool to align a U-joint, the whole thing started to creep. Other time I was wiping the expellor off on the side of a slinger manure spreader ...and it started to turn on its own. Both dangerous. Both removed from the implements that day.    You have the oarts, get a manual, it's only an afternoons job, but if you mess it up and or don't do it all....you'll be doing it again.  First time around, I think I'd recommend you  hire a guy to do it. Dangerous. 

I can definitely see how it would be dangerous. One slip and it could be very devastating! I will be sure to tackle this project soon and try to keep everyone updated as I go! I already have the 560 engine put back together, and hopefully it will breathe life this weekend for the first time in 20 years!

1 hour ago, 65806 said:

X2

I always shut the engine off when hooking up PTO and anytime I have to work on equipment. I know my Pto turns when nothing is hooked up so I don't trust it for nothing except to run equipment when I'm on tractor. Plus I am the only person that runs my 806 now.