Disc brake thickness

Snowmad

as a general rule + -'52-66  all of the dry discs were roughly 1/2" when new and 7/16 when completely useless

add 60 + years of wear on the other 4 surfaces and china $#&%^ material,  you only get a few years out of a new set

if there is noticeable wear on the other parts then remachining is in order

also if over centering  ,locking or sticking

2 hours ago, mmi said:

also if over centering  ,locking or sticking

This!  When you use up all your adjustment and they stick on it's time for new disks.  If somebody would make disks just a bit thicker for the same price or only a Buck or two more They would own the replacement brake disk business.

I took my caliper to my dealer a couple years ago, A&I disks were a couple thousandths thicker and half the price of CIH disks.  The CIH was from an opened package, somebody measured it before me.

3 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

This!  When you use up all your adjustment and they stick on it's time for new disks.  If somebody would make disks just a bit thicker for the same price or only a Buck or two more They would own the replacement brake disk business.

I took my caliper to my dealer a couple years ago, A&I disks were a couple thousandths thicker and half the price of CIH disks.  The CIH was from an opened package, somebody measured it before me.

for new discs I always grab/carry a snapon 1/2 wrench if it dont fit, buy them,and actually did same in junk lots at auction

Archived