Recommended Posts

Here's an IH engine that's new to me. 

IH have found an American printed brochure (July 1973) that has a list of construction equipment and power units then currently available. In the "Carbureted Engines" list there is an engine called the GTI-817B

The GTI-817B was an inline 6 rated at 320 HP @ 1,800 rpm. The model number suggests G = Gasoline or LPG (?), T = Turbocharged, I = Intercooled or Injected (?) B = Series B

I assume it is a non-diesel version of the DTI-817B diesel engine. 

Does anyone here know anything about this engine?

Regards from Michael H.B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These were natural gas engines for irrigation pumping duty. There was even a 1091 version which I have a brochure for. It was a TD24 engine with a natural gas cylinder head. Actually most of the large diesels were available as a natural gas version. You just have to find the brochures. I bought some of the brochures at the Red Power show in 2010 at La Porte, Indiana.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, George 2 said:

These were natural gas engines for irrigation pumping duty. There was even a 1091 version which I have a brochure for. It was a TD24 engine with a natural gas cylinder head. Actually most of the large diesels were available as a natural gas version. You just have to find the brochures. I bought some of the brochures at the Red Power show in 2010 at La Porte, Indiana.

I have seen a listing for the U-1091 power unit (non-diesel version of the UD-24 & UDT-1091 power units)

In the Wisconsin Historical Society IHC records there are references to U-14 & U-18 power units (non-diesel versions of the UD-14 & UD-18) which appeared to have only got to the prototype stages.

Regards from Michael H.B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:12 PM, Michael Halsall said:

Here's an IH engine that's new to me. 

IH have found an American printed brochure (July 1973) that has a list of construction equipment and power units then currently available. In the "Carbureted Engines" list there is an engine called the GTI-817B

The GTI-817B was an inline 6 rated at 320 HP @ 1,800 rpm. The model number suggests G = Gasoline or LPG (?), T = Turbocharged, I = Intercooled or Injected (?) B = Series B

I assume it is a non-diesel version of the DTI-817B diesel engine. 

Does anyone here know anything about this engine?

Regards from Michael H.B)

Never heard of a GTI-817. The natural gas power units were U-817 or UTI-817 that meant carbureted. IH also made a marine version MDT-817.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My father owned a UD-14 power unit which powered his sawmill. Have also worked on a UD-18 power unit used on another sawmill that was much larger and automatic so power unit had to power air compressor and hydraulic pumps so I believe they were more than in the proto type stage. russ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, russ said:

My father owned a UD-14 power unit which powered his sawmill. Have also worked on a UD-18 power unit used on another sawmill that was much larger and automatic so power unit had to power air compressor and hydraulic pumps so I believe they were more than in the proto type stage. russ 

The model numbers were "U-14" & "U-18" which would have been non-diesel versions of the UD-14 & UD-14 (D = Diesel) Thousands of big diesel power units were built but the production non-diesel variety seem to have only gone up to U-9 in that series. Seems IH may have planned non-diesel versions ("gas field" engines?) of the 14 & 18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stand corrected sorry russ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 9:43 PM, Michael Halsall said:

The model numbers were "U-14" & "U-18" which would have been non-diesel versions of the UD-14 & UD-14 (D = Diesel) Thousands of big diesel power units were built but the production non-diesel variety seem to have only gone up to U-9 in that series. Seems IH may have planned non-diesel versions ("gas field" engines?) of the 14 & 18

if you look at the T-14 and TD-14 parts books you will find the T-14 gasoline engine listed. I have never seen anything on a gasoline 18 size engine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, George 2 said:

if you look at the T-14 and TD-14 parts books you will find the T-14 gasoline engine listed. I have never seen anything on a gasoline 18 size engine

I don't believe the U-18 made it to production. I have been wading through the Wisconsin Historical Society's "McCormick International" archival web pages. 

In the Serial Number records section the records for Tractor Works have listings for the U-14 & U-18 power units. These two models had space listed for serial numbers in the records that has carried on for several years. The U-14 only lists production for one month beginning with #501 and then nothing more (prototypes perhaps) and the U-18 has no serial numbers listed suggesting it never actually made it into production. I have also found a listing for a PA-35 power unit (based on a truck engine) that seems to have never made it into production either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now