Here's an IH engine that's new to me. 

IH have found an American printed brochure (July 1973) that has a list of construction equipment and power units then currently available. In the "Carbureted Engines" list there is an engine called the GTI-817B

The GTI-817B was an inline 6 rated at 320 HP @ 1,800 rpm. The model number suggests G = Gasoline or LPG (?), T = Turbocharged, I = Intercooled or Injected (?) B = Series B

I assume it is a non-diesel version of the DTI-817B diesel engine. 

Does anyone here know anything about this engine?

Regards from Michael H.B)

These were natural gas engines for irrigation pumping duty. There was even a 1091 version which I have a brochure for. It was a TD24 engine with a natural gas cylinder head. Actually most of the large diesels were available as a natural gas version. You just have to find the brochures. I bought some of the brochures at the Red Power show in 2010 at La Porte, Indiana.

7 hours ago, George 2 said:

These were natural gas engines for irrigation pumping duty. There was even a 1091 version which I have a brochure for. It was a TD24 engine with a natural gas cylinder head. Actually most of the large diesels were available as a natural gas version. You just have to find the brochures. I bought some of the brochures at the Red Power show in 2010 at La Porte, Indiana.

I have seen a listing for the U-1091 power unit (non-diesel version of the UD-24 & UDT-1091 power units)

In the Wisconsin Historical Society IHC records there are references to U-14 & U-18 power units (non-diesel versions of the UD-14 & UD-18) which appeared to have only got to the prototype stages.

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:12 PM, Michael Halsall said:

Here's an IH engine that's new to me. 

IH have found an American printed brochure (July 1973) that has a list of construction equipment and power units then currently available. In the "Carbureted Engines" list there is an engine called the GTI-817B

The GTI-817B was an inline 6 rated at 320 HP @ 1,800 rpm. The model number suggests G = Gasoline or LPG (?), T = Turbocharged, I = Intercooled or Injected (?) B = Series B

I assume it is a non-diesel version of the DTI-817B diesel engine. 

Does anyone here know anything about this engine?

Never heard of a GTI-817. The natural gas power units were U-817 or UTI-817 that meant carbureted. IH also made a marine version MDT-817.

My father owned a UD-14 power unit which powered his sawmill. Have also worked on a UD-18 power unit used on another sawmill that was much larger and automatic so power unit had to power air compressor and hydraulic pumps so I believe they were more than in the proto type stage. russ 

23 minutes ago, russ said:

My father owned a UD-14 power unit which powered his sawmill. Have also worked on a UD-18 power unit used on another sawmill that was much larger and automatic so power unit had to power air compressor and hydraulic pumps so I believe they were more than in the proto type stage. russ 

The model numbers were "U-14" & "U-18" which would have been non-diesel versions of the UD-14 & UD-14 (D = Diesel) Thousands of big diesel power units were built but the production non-diesel variety seem to have only gone up to U-9 in that series. Seems IH may have planned non-diesel versions ("gas field" engines?) of the 14 & 18

I stand corrected sorry russ

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 9:43 PM, Michael Halsall said:

The model numbers were "U-14" & "U-18" which would have been non-diesel versions of the UD-14 & UD-14 (D = Diesel) Thousands of big diesel power units were built but the production non-diesel variety seem to have only gone up to U-9 in that series. Seems IH may have planned non-diesel versions ("gas field" engines?) of the 14 & 18

if you look at the T-14 and TD-14 parts books you will find the T-14 gasoline engine listed. I have never seen anything on a gasoline 18 size engine

5 hours ago, George 2 said:

if you look at the T-14 and TD-14 parts books you will find the T-14 gasoline engine listed. I have never seen anything on a gasoline 18 size engine

I don't believe the U-18 made it to production. I have been wading through the Wisconsin Historical Society's "McCormick International" archival web pages. 

In the Serial Number records section the records for Tractor Works have listings for the U-14 & U-18 power units. These two models had space listed for serial numbers in the records that has carried on for several years. The U-14 only lists production for one month beginning with #501 and then nothing more (prototypes perhaps) and the U-18 has no serial numbers listed suggesting it never actually made it into production. I have also found a listing for a PA-35 power unit (based on a truck engine) that seems to have never made it into production either.