28 year Shop Mule Project

Hi everyone.

I am the original poster of this thread although its been a long time since I posted.

The saga with my Shop Mule is that I was going to reassemble all the bolt on parts then take it to someone to restore.

While putting it together, I could not find the clutch linkage that went to the clutch pedal. Months of searching found nothing.

In the end, a friend of mine wanted to buy it from me, even though it was missing the clutch linkage.

We made a deal, I got some $ and a very nice Case V tractor.

Fast forward to the recent new years eve: My wife is digging around in our attached garage and finds a rusty piece of steel up on a shelf

that she keeps gardening items on. I never go near it. Yep, you guessed it, the missing clutch linkage!

I didn't know whether to be relieved or angry for all the aggravation i went through looking for that part. It had put me through an emotional wringer at the

time with searching, giving up and parting with a tractor I had saved for 28 years. 

She probably found the piece on the floor 20 years ago not knowing what it was (nor asking me) and threw it up on the shelf only to be

forgotten about. So I guess the mystery is solved, for better or for worse. 

Now I have 4 case tractors 40-46, that I keep in a building where the friend who now owns the shop mule lives. 

He was overjoyed that we located the part and I will hand it to him personally next time I see him.

The moral of the story? Tell your wife not to touch your crap! If she finds something and does not know what it is, ASK YOU! 

Shop Mule 41.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 7:05 PM, John Grimm said:

Hi everyone.

I am the original poster of this thread although its been a long time since I posted.

The saga with my Shop Mule is that I was going to reassemble all the bolt on parts then take it to someone to restore.

While putting it together, I could not find the clutch linkage that went to the clutch pedal. Months of searching found nothing.

In the end, a friend of mine wanted to buy it from me, even though it was missing the clutch linkage.

We made a deal, I got some $ and a very nice Case V tractor.

Fast forward to the recent new years eve: My wife is digging around in our attached garage and finds a rusty piece of steel up on a shelf

that she keeps gardening items on. I never go near it. Yep, you guessed it, the missing clutch linkage!

I didn't know whether to be relieved or angry for all the aggravation i went through looking for that part. It had put me through an emotional wringer at the

time with searching, giving up and parting with a tractor I had saved for 28 years. 

She probably found the piece on the floor 20 years ago not knowing what it was (nor asking me) and threw it up on the shelf only to be

forgotten about. So I guess the mystery is solved, for better or for worse. 

Now I have 4 case tractors 40-46, that I keep in a building where the friend who now owns the shop mule lives. 

He was overjoyed that we located the part and I will hand it to him personally next time I see him.

The moral of the story? Tell your wife not to touch your crap! If she finds something and does not know what it is, ASK YOU! 

Shop Mule 41.

I don't have to blame the wife, I misplace things within minutes after having it in my hands on a regular basis.

jerry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 4/14/2018 at 10:29 AM, 2+2 Guy said:

Yep, I'm still here and still have the Shop Mule. First off, welcome aboard, Shopmule41 and thanks to metamora farmall for texting me and telling me about this thread. Always glad to talk about Shop Mules. Mine came from Manchester, New Hampshire and spent most of it's life at the Manchester Airport moving planes around.  I sure don't claim to be an expert on these little guys but I have amassed a fair amount of information on them over the last few years. I will be more than happy to share any knowledge and pictures that might help you.

Here's a picture of mine when we first bought it. It was painted with spray cans and the restoration was a little crude. I have been working on getting it "Tonyfied" but life kinda got in the way. Hoping to get it finished up this summer if time and money permit. (two things I always seem to run short on)

I'll send you a PM with my name and cell phone. Feel free to give me a call anytime. You are more than welcome to make a road trip down to Northwest Ohio also. I'm about half way between Toledo, Oh and Fort Wayne, IN. 

Meanwhile, I'll dig up some more pics for you.

5ad148c1ec978_ShopMule2(2).jpg.ac0bc2890aadaaa5523479298571ce8c.jpg

The Hebard shop mule in this photo was built around Farmall A & B components.  It would have been called the "i-2" Industrial tractor or the "w-2" farm tractor if IHC had built these in house! I am calling it the " -2" as the power unit derived from Farmall A & B tractors was called the "u-2"

Regards from Michael H.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2018 at 5:14 PM, Wes806 said:

Thanks for the pic's. Enjoyed seeing .Nothing like doing the work yourself and seeing the end results.  Know what you mean about going though buckets to find what you need to work with. The barn that I use to work in I share with my brother, his boy, and who ever else they bring out alot of times when mowing the yard I find tools just laying out { I think they think they are planting  them to harvest LOL } so I never know where to find tools.

Have to plant them three to a hill!

49 minutes ago, 1066 Peterbilt said:

Have to plant them three to a hill!

Do they have to be the same size?

• Like 1

I did not ask the Snap On man. Lost a long wrench out of a set I bought in the eighty's. Picked one up and asked how much is this? $38.00. Told him I did not want the whole set just this one wrench. Asked me to read the number off the wrench and he entered it in the computer. Yes $38.00. Told him if I did not have the whole set there was no way I would pay $38.00 for one little wrench. The ones from Napa and Wally World grow just as good. He then informed me " You have to plant them three to a hill".  

Try that both ways and let us know but I thank he was just trying to sell more tools!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1066 Peterbilt said:

I did not ask the Snap On man. Lost a long wrench out of a set I bought in the eighty's. Picked one up and asked how much is this? $38.00. Told him I did not want the whole set just this one wrench. Asked me to read the number off the wrench and he entered it in the computer. Yes $38.00. Told him if I did not have the whole set there was no way I would pay $38.00 for one little wrench. The ones from Napa and Wally World grow just as good. He then informed me " You have to plant them three to a hill".  

Try that both ways and let us know but I thank he was just trying to sell more tools!

Well they also need to be with ? the roots down.?

• Like 2