Sign in to follow this  
Ihcubguy

Started working on my paps tractors today.

Back in the fall my grandfather decided to turn his tractors over to me and I got them out today and started to get things moving on them.  In all he gave me his 52 M, 37 F20, 44 H and 46 H.

Today while moving around trailers and other tractors we worked the 44 H and the M from a shed out amongst the fields to one at  mom and dad's house. These 2 tractors were what he farmed with for many years. The H doing planting, spraying, cultivating, wagon moving and rotary mowing and the M doing all the tillage work, picking corn and running the sawmill.

Over the years as he aged he did some modifications to them to make them more comfortable and easier for him to get on and use. The M received his version of cab that he built, a 3 spool hydraulic valve from a backhoe and at one point it had a wide front on it with 7.50-16 tires on it (I believe it was a Schwartz). There is a live pump on it and a Char Lynn power steering system that was on it when he bought it back in the 70's. The H has a wide front on it that I believe is also a Schwartz. He added a live pump to it as well and it has a set of high speed 3rd and 4th gears in it.

For now I am only interested mostly in getting them power washed and tuned up and working decently as they have sat unused for farming in over 25 years. They have been started and warmed up and driven around a few times a year up until about 2 years ago. Within the past 2 years my grandfather's macular degeneration has left him unable to drive and do much so that's why they've been idle.

The H just needs a good scrub down and serviced. With a pull start today due to a weak battery it powered itself to it's new home. I plan to change the fluids and filters. Get the wiring into usable shape and check all the electrical out and make sure it's all operating properly. Beyond that for now it will stay the way it is.

The M well that needs a bit more and that is where I started today.  The homemade cab was plywood and angle iron with old storm windows in it which have been long since gone. The plywood is all rotted from years of sitting in a pole shed with no sides on it and the angle iron pieces were all cracking at welds. It was time to just remove it. After getting the roof off I had considered initially just letting the fenders on that he made for now but after closer examination they have to go as well.  He had a rubber mat inside that was never cleaned the last it was used all those years ago and the packed in dirt, grease and moisture were starting to take their toll on things.  Upon pulling the mat I found the top of the transmission case is starting to pit between the gearshifter and seat and that the seat base itself is starting to rot. Luckily it's not really bad and it can be fixed pretty easy. Like i said it has not run in the last 2 years and i want to be more thorough with it than the H. It will get the full sefvice the same as the H plus some more.  It is free and turns over but i want to pull the valve cover and make sure it's all good and working in there and then run all the clearances on it. At some point in the past 2 years he has taken the fuel bowl off and also the oil cup for the air cleaner. So it will be getting a new fuel bowl, the tank will be coming off to be cleaned out and the carb will be taken off and rebuilt as well as checking the air cleaner and making sure it is open and in good shape. Also the rear tires and rims need attention on it as well 

I didnt get a picture of the H but I did get a short video of driving it to it's new home. I did take some pics of the M though for posterity sake since I am removing the cab and fenders. Some as day started and some how it ended. Much more to go. It will in the future get a set of clam shell fenders put on it.

20180407_133406.jpg

20180407_133450.jpg

20180407_133441.jpg

20180407_133416.jpg

20180407_133512.jpg

20180407_155500.jpg

20180407_155451.jpg

20180407_155444.jpg

20180407_155437.jpg

It's great you get to keep those 

nice pictures will make great memories when you get them going get some pictures with your grandpa you'll be glad you did.

Your grandfater did a Pretty good job on that cab for being home built. Might have made an intersting conversation piece to fill in the plywood with metal and restore and smooth out any rough spots on that old cab, kinda a tribute to gramps more than anything. Grandfather must be a pretty handy guy. Congrats on the honor of preserving them.

8 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Your grandfater did a Pretty good job on that cab for being home built. Might have made an intersting conversation piece to fill in the plywood with metal and restore and smooth out any rough spots on that old cab, kinda a tribute to gramps more than anything. Grandfather must be a pretty handy guy. Congrats on the honor of preserving them.

He created some unique things over the years.  He once wanted to try 20 inch row corn so he took two JD model 290 planters and made the row units all work on one frame and then made a lift setup that worked outside of the frame of the planter but still between the rows.  So with that setup his Woods corn picker was to wide to fit the rows so he made his won 4 row self propelled picker.  Now while the planter did it's job and worked ok the picker on the other hand was not so successful.  He made it from an Allis Chalmers 100sp combine frame and engine that his brother had.  Put a 717 NI Uni husking bed on the back. For a head he took 2 IH model 24 mounted pickers and mounted the units together close enough to get the 24 inch row width.  The problem with the picker was his feed system from the row units to the husking bed was not very reliable and the whole setup was WAY to "farmer engineered".  I would have loved to see it work properly but it never did.  That pretty much ended when he was farming and dad and I took over.  The equipment he had all had been modified for the venture to 20" rows and when it didn't wokr he gave up.

• Like 1

Wow! He went to a lotta work. He had a good idea sounds like. Too bad it didnt work out.

Finally got my paps M running today. First time it has run in 2 years or better. So far I changed the points and condenser, distributor cap, coil, plugs and wires. Tightened up the loose steering that was a half turn of the steering wheel before the wheels would even begin to move and replaced the battery and cables with new 2/0 cables and new ends. Boy it really spins over now on 6 volt, almost as good as a 12 volt battery would. I also tore the carb down and cleaned and replaced anything that needed it. Only thing I need to fix yet is the oil cup on the air cleaner needs put back on.  The clamp was missing when I got the tractor and a search last week of where it sat and his shop has not turned it up. So I am on the search to buy a clamp and bolt for the oil cup on the air cleaner. I also still need to change the engine oil and filter as well as the same for the power steering setup. I want to also paint the rear rims a more appropriate color as well. For now though it is running, and better than it has in a long time. 

20181110_162811.jpg

20181110_162800.jpg

• Like 3