Sign in to follow this  
Bread

Cargostar Power Steering Gear

I've got a 1974 Cargostar 1810B with the SV392 engine and air brakes.  Manual steering, and man what a bear to drive in the city.  I've got to navigate tight parking lots, bay doors and yards every time I use this truck, and it's damn hard work.  I've got respece for the men that drove these in the 70's.  Anybody know where I can find a power steering gear and pump setup for this truck?

I found a used box which is a Sheppard 292.  But not sure which pump and bracket I'll need to mount on a 392 with air brakes.  I suppose I could just make my own, but who knows if I'll need a different steering shaft, coupler, etc.

Here's a shot of my manual steering gear, which mounts inside the frame with the steering linkage on the outside.  

IMG_9951.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

Hello,

Just wondering if you ever made any headway on power steering for your 1850B. I am looking to do the same.

Thanks

I just attended a truck show today and saw one of these 1850B's with power steering- wish I took a pic for you. I have been looking for a Cargostar with air, manual and diesel for a long time now. You are indeed a lucky chap! Greg