Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

Sad night for Saskatchewan.

5 minutes ago, wheatking said:

real sad this kinda thing has pretty much rocked the world, my guess is the trucker either ran the stop sign or stop and pulled out and didn't get out of the way in time, seeing by damage it was hit in the middle of the trailer 

real shocker my condolences to the families involved, I watched a tribute video on facebook and shivers ran down my spine the whole time 

Yes you can see the bent beams on the lead trailer where it looks like the bus may have hit there. Lots of media still reporting the truck t boned the bus but I'm positive that's not the case.

Just checked the go fund me and it's almost at 2.75 million now. Still blows me away the amount of support for the families and I'm sure it will help them cope knowing there's that much support and compassion out there for them. It will never heal the wounds but hopefully it will help. I don't konw that the families will even want the money but maybe they can set up a memorial scholarship or something along those lines to help commemorate the ones that didn't survive and the ones that were injured. There will be alot of people traumatized by this too I'm sure. It would be a extremely difficult thing for the first responders volunteer fire dept's dr's nurses and everyone else in between. Not just the families that will be forever impacted. 

58k people have pledged $3.9 mil  in 1 day.

That is astounding. 

• Like 1

Looked at the intersection on Google Earth. The truck had stop sign and red light, and a "Stop Ahead" sign a ways back from the corner. There's a yard with trees blocking the view from the highway where the bus was traveling. One of those things where a second or two either way would have made all the difference.......

Texting and driving maybe? Who knows sad deal all the way around.

What an awful tragedy.  Prayers for all of those this accident has touched, especially the families who will forever have an empty seat at the dinner table.  I pray that they know the comfort and peace of Jesus during this dark hour.  I'm going to hug my kids a little tighter tonight.

2 hours ago, MTO said:

58k people have pledged $3.9 mil  in 1 day.

That is astounding. 

I guess that's the amazing part in this terrible tragedy. They have the rest of the country, and beyond behind them. 

1 hour ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

What an awful tragedy.  Prayers for all of those this accident has touched, especially the families who will forever have an empty seat at the dinner table.  I pray that they know the comfort and peace of Jesus during this dark hour.  I'm going to hug my kids a little tighter tonight.

X2

When something terrible like this happens it amazing how our country— as well as others, can pull together to give support to the people in need. 

I looked at the news article that was posted here and I would have to agree that the bus t-boned the truck. Still a terribly sad picture to look at. 

Watching the live cast on CBC tv right now as they gather for the public vigil at Humboldt to honour the lost lives. It has touched so many lives all across the country. 

21 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Yes you can see the bent beams on the lead trailer where it looks like the bus may have hit there. Lots of media still reporting the truck t boned the bus but I'm positive that's not the case.

Just checked the go fund me and it's almost at 2.75 million now. Still blows me away the amount of support for the families and I'm sure it will help them cope knowing there's that much support and compassion out there for them. It will never heal the wounds but hopefully it will help. I don't konw that the families will even want the money but maybe they can set up a memorial scholarship or something along those lines to help commemorate the ones that didn't survive and the ones that were injured. There will be alot of people traumatized by this too I'm sure. It would be a extremely difficult thing for the first responders volunteer fire dept's dr's nurses and everyone else in between. Not just the families that will be forever impacted. 

Yes, X2 looking at the over head shot where you can see the stop sign plus the direction of impact and resulting debris flow of material from the trailer it looks odd. Time will tell.  I'm not familiar with the area.

They hauled the wreckage all the way to Saskatoon I guess. My brother just happened to see it while he was on his way into the city to pick up some suplies. Said it was absolutely unreal how bad it looked. He didn't stop and look at it but just drove by. Was a little surprised they hauled it that far away but the company that had it does have a good secure locked compound so that may have been a contributing factor. Ground investigation must be over now. Will be a while before they figure out and release exactly what happend though I would imagine.

I started out watching the vigil but got taken away to do some other work so I didn't see much of it.

Times like this where you get a little bit more faith back in people and that there are good people out there yet. Sure is something else to see so many people all over the world of people coming together and talking about the little area that I've spent a fair bit of time in. It's just not the kind of thing you expect to happen in your neighborhood.

79K people sent $6 mil so far.

Incredible and uplifting. 

Now reporting Police Mis IDed 2 players 1 dyed the other didn't had notified families then had to reverse reports to family since players looked alike.

Man can't get much worse then that. Sad.

6.6 million now. Just keeps on growing. Couple more days it might just hit 10 million. One thing that would really set this apart  is if go fund me waived their fees for it. They stand to make a lot of money unless they have some special provisions already in place for something like this. I'm not sure. There is a lot of support locally to above and beyond. Families are being flown in free hotels free and almost everything they could need or want. Grocery store are offering up free food for the families too. Everyone's coming together to do what they can. There's some things where it almost makes you wonder if they're not doing it for the publicity but hopefully they're motives are true and pure. 

The coroners came out this morning with a apology and a statement about what had happened. Pretty brutal blow for the familiy that had their hopes up but a pretty amazing feeling for the other family to find out their son was still alive.  Have to look for the positive somehow I guess  4 are still in pretty rough shape but hanging in there yet  

Just saw the trainer passed away today. Family members have been in the news and Facebook doing interviews  not sure how they can even manage that so soon  their loved ones haven't even been layed to rest yet. It's tough to just sit and listen to the stories even. 

Just checked the go fund me page and they're very close to 9 million. 

Just checked the go fund me page and they're very close to 9 million. 

That is just SUPER PFL!

The total when they shut off the donation request was...

$15.2 million!!

What an outpouring of generosity. 

• Like 1

Prayers to the families

Yes I forgot to update everyone. There's still a lot of money coming in yet as well. Big concert coming up that could potentially raise another million or more. My neice went to school with one of the kids that didn't survive. Whole school and community is still pretty shook up. Everyone's has been taken off the critical condition list now though and the healing process has begun though. 

Police have released basically nothing about the collision and are keeping things very quiet. They haven't released the drivers name yet or even layed charges.  They had the intersection closed last week for more investigation. Police came on the news that night and said well we have determined the semi driver was in the intersection at the time of the accident and then the interview was basically over. Thought to myself really you guys is that the best you can come up with, thanks for stating the obvious. 

7 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Police came on the news that night and said well we have determined the semi driver was in the intersection at the time of the accident and then the interview was basically over. Thought to myself really you guys is that the best you can come up with, thanks for stating the obvious. 

I am pretty sure that they techinally can't say much before all investigation is wrapped up etc. Don't want them to make mistakes as many people are effected by this

While this is a pretty extreme case this hasn't been the normal before. Trucker killed four young boys from a a community just down the road from the accident scene. Within hours everyone knew the name where he was from and who he was driving for. He was also charged shortly after. There's some race speculation playing into this but I won't delve to far into that.   Company owner is from Calgary and had two trucks on the road. His operating license from Alberta has been suspended until the investigation is over. Sukhmander Singh is the owner of the company.

Well the court case for this is starting to come around and near the end. The driver plead guilty today. Took quite a while and I’m sure it will be a while yet before sentencing but there’s at least a little bit of closure for the families involved. I wouldn’t want to be the judge as I’m sure he will be criticized no matter what he does  he has some tough decisions ahead of him in the upcoming months. 

Theres been a lot of talk about what to do with the intersection including cutting down the trees that are not on the right of way and are on private property.  They’re going to install rumble strips now next summer . Hopefully something like this never happens again especially this close to home.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/thestarphoenix.com/news/crime/truck-driver-in-broncos-crash-pleads-guilty/amp

36 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Theres been a lot of talk about what to do with the intersection including cutting down the trees that are not on the right of way and are on private property.  They’re going to install rumble strips now next summer . Hopefully something like this never happens again especially this close to home.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/thestarphoenix.com/news/crime/truck-driver-in-broncos-crash-pleads-guilty/amp

Those trees are probably down already just like they will be cut down on every intersection of a major grid road and highway here. They already did the intersections of the grids I pass on the way to town. Dept of highways with a couple of skid steers and rotary mulchers on front. I don't know if it would have made a difference to the outcome of that accident if the bus driver could have seen the approaching semi. I mean who expects a big truck coming off the gravel grid is not going to stop at a stop sign crossing a major highway?

So sorry hear that 

Unfortunately human error cannot be eliminated completely.   Better visibility is a common sense step  in the right direction though.  That truck driver has to live with the consequences of his mistake, and awful weight for anyone to bear.  A simple error in judgment cost so many so much, what a terrible ordeal for all parties involved.