Sign in to follow this  
ETD66SS

BD-240 LPG Conversion

I'm having trouble finding parts to rebuild the Zenith 228 ( https://imgur.com/a/yOqwm) on a BD-240 that's in a 1971 UB240 Power Unit.

I know that someday I wanted to convert the Pettibone fork truck to run on LPG.  I figure since I am having so much trouble rebuilding the Zenith carb that was on the machine, which is not the original, I may as well just go with the LPG conversion now, if I'm spending money anyways...

I've been talking to a guy named Jerry at Nash fuel about the kit I would need, but he's not been the most helpful.  I may go off on my own and buy the components I need, and then build up the conversion system myself.  Thing is, I have never done this before, and wanted to see if anyone here has experience with IMPCO LPG components.

The kit would look something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPLETE-IMPCO-LPG-PROPANE-CONVERSION-KIT-GM-250-4-1L-FORKLIFT-TRUCK-CHEVROLET/172194771475?epid=718635117&hash=item28179bb213:g:V9IAAOSwn9lXK0wO&vxp=mtr

It would have a carb/mixer, a regulator, and a filter/cutoff, with all the required fittings and hoses.  I have no idea how to plumb a system like this, hoping someone here has...

I am no real expert in propane and only know enough to be dangerous.

You need a tank, a forklift tank and mount would be great for your application. You can then change it out with a spare or take in to get filled.

For years the high pressure line of the liquid tap if the tank goes to the regulator only and it worked fine. Just shut the tank valve off when not in use.

That vacuum lock is a good idea but so many run without it.

The propane carburetor is sized by the engine size and then an adapter is bought to fit the carb to the intake. Impco is usually used.

A small vacuum line runs from the intake to the regulator. This is the signal that tells the regulator to send LP to the carb.

The big hose off the regulator then goes to the big fitting on the carb. Run some water hoses to heat the regulator.

That is it and it should run. It is dirt simple.

Instead of the propane carb, you can run what they call a spudin. This puts the propane in the air stream aheaded for the carburetor. You see some of these on pickup engines so they can go back to gas,  if they want to. You then need a valve to shut off the gas when on propane. 

Once it is working, you will see how easy it is and how easy it works. Propane is underrated.

The rock crawler truck crews are using propane so the gas don't slosh to one side of the carburetor and the engine dies. Propane will continue to run the engine, upside down. They love it.

That description is pretty good other than the system you referred to does not use a signal line to the converter/regulator. The propane is regulated by vacuum in the hose between the mixer and converter, usually 1/2" water column to start to draw propane. There is a small vacuum line used to open the fuel lock to allow liquid propane to flow to the converter. In the Midwest you can contact Acme Alternate Fuel Systems in Mankato MN for any questions. They are the ones that worked with Schwans to convert their trucks to propane starting in the late 70s.