Sign in to follow this  
TeachersPet1066

Front tire size to go with 15.5-38

Depends on what model of tractor and if NFE or WFE.  Our 450 had 15.5 GY Super-Torque tires, their version of the Firestone Deep Tread.  We had 6.50x16's on the NFE and it sat level, maybe just the slightest bit nose down.

If we were talking about a 560 or 706 or 806 answer would certainly be different.   6.00x16 and 6.50x16 are supposed to be same diameter within a brand, also 15.5x38 and 13.6x38 are supposed to be the same diameter.

I think these were 7.00x15 if I remember correctly. 15.5 on rear with plow squating things just a tad. 

IMG_4272.JPG

My 656 had 6.00 or 6.50/16’s on it. I didn’t care for them. They were like pizza cutters. Any soft ground and they went down. When I restored it I went back with 9.5-15’s. I really like how it turned out. 

386FBF36-AD6A-4D40-9FD7-7FBA19E472FB.png

53BDC965-781C-40CC-87B9-E521C0E7A98C.png

89BE5C33-74CF-41CD-94A6-5F9D9384E0E1.png

4 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I think these were 7.00x15 if I remember correctly. 15.5 on rear with plow squating things just a tad. 

IMG_4272.JPG

Very nice pic.,love the hydros. I would  love to make a few rounds with your 544.Is it fast hitch? I want to own a 544 just like that. I have two hydros of my own now, just bought a  720 5-18 plow ,will pull it with one of my 1066's.But I think for sure I am going to hook it  up to my 1026 for a few rounds just to warm the old girl up a bit.I like to see how she pull.

26 minutes ago, Jacka said:

Very nice pic.,love the hydros. I would  love to make a few rounds with your 544.Is it fast hitch? I want to own a 544 just like that. I have two hydros of my own now, just bought a  720 5-18 plow ,will pull it with one of my 1066's.But I think for sure I am going to hook it  up to my 1026 for a few rounds just to warm the old girl up a bit.I like to see how she pull.

It is a fast hitch and now belongs to another member here. They are good machines if treated properly. That is a 311 fast hitch plow (3x16s) and it was a perfect match around here to play with.  I put a video of it plowing on YouTube. A fun setup. I will send you a link in a PM so we don't get too far off the topic of tires. 

28 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

It is a fast hitch and now belongs to another member here. They are good machines if treated properly. That is a 311 fast hitch plow (3x16s) and it was a perfect match around here to play with.  I put a video of it plowing on YouTube. A fun setup. I will send you a link in a PM so we don't get too far off the topic of tires. 

We had a 311 back in the '60s that we pulled with a 450. In '67 we bought a new gas 656 along with a 14" 540.Put the 540 on the 450 one alll while the 656 was in the shop. The old 450 handled the plow better than the  656. 656 was a lot more comfortable to run than the 450. In defense of the 656, the 450 had oversize pistons so was stronger than stock.

Before we got the 656 we always plowed "around" the fields. Also ran a SM with a 3x14 #16. Withe 450 &31 you came to the corner, raised the plow and spun around & headed fown the other dide. With SM you had to make a loop on the corner. The 450 would be 40-50' down the field by the time you got the SM turned & the plow back in the ground. Once we got the 656 we went to plowing in "lands ".

My SMTA had 6:50s and  nfe with 14:9 s on the rear when I bought it, always sat low in the front. I put a IH wfe under it with 7:50 tires. Now sits just a little high in the front but looks a lot better.

1 hour ago, boog said:

We had a 311 back in the '60s that we pulled with a 450. In '67 we bought a new gas 656 along with a 14" 540.Put the 540 on the 450 one alll while the 656 was in the shop. The old 450 handled the plow better than the  656. 656 was a lot more comfortable to run than the 450. In defense of the 656, the 450 had oversize pistons so was stronger than stock.

Before we got the 656 we always plowed "around" the fields. Also ran a SM with a 3x14 #16. Withe 450 &31 you came to the corner, raised the plow and spun around & headed fown the other dide. With SM you had to make a loop on the corner. The 450 would be 40-50' down the field by the time you got the SM turned & the plow back in the ground. Once we got the 656 we went to plowing in "lands ".

I have a 311 fast hitch (3x14s) that was a local piece its whole life and got pulled by a neighbor's 350. My Great Grandfather had a 350 with drawbar and he pulled a 3x14 trailer plow. Not sure the number right off hand.  

BOOG - That plowing around a field is a lost art like pitching bundles or something.  First plowing I ever did was on 40 acres of alfalfa sod, 20 acres of old hay ground, 20 acres old hog pasture. Dad had me on that JD R diesel. He made the first couple rounds.  Was a little disgusted running with 4-14's in 2nd and only plowing 5-6 inches deep. He rounded all 4 corners off then let me go driving around and around and around ALL day.  He jumped on the SM-TA with 3-14 #8 running in 3rd gear.  After about 4-5 rounds he'd catch me and start rounding corners again,  he'd get all 4 rounded and be right ahead of me.  There was one off camber clay sidehill that we were turning on that he saw the little puffs of smoke coming out the muffler of the R too slow. He flagged me down, told me to stop and downshift to low gear till we got away from that hill.  Took the better part of two days to plow that 40 acres.  

We put the 3-14 #8 behind the R after that. In corn ground I could run in 3rd then, still half a mpg slower than the SM-TA.

ANYHOW,  back on the frt tire topic. Really hard to tell the difference between a 6.00x16 and a 6.50x16.  A 5.50x16 you can tell the difference, and a 7.50x16.  I always wanted to weld up three brackets on some 6"x15" rims and bolt them on the cast wheel centers of a H or M and see how they worked. I always thought the wider foot print would help carry a loader much better without giving the tractor a nose-UP attitude.

I have 15.5 x 38s on the rear of my hydro 86 and 7.50 x 16s on the front.

20180402_190517.jpg

Sorry to get off topic but what is  "plowing around the field". Is this a way you plowed a field?What was the reason to plow this way? I started moldboard plowing  at 16.I rode on the drawbar of a M way before that when i was too little to plow.I would hook up the trailer plow when my dad would hit a rock and it would trip through the clevis and unhook. I watched and  was taught how you plowed a field.If you started a land in the middle you kept  plowing out to the sides until it you made more time by going to the end and plowing back and ending up with a clean up furrow in that section.You plowed in lands so to speak.You did it this way to section a field off so you weren't wasting time running on the headlands.The next year you had to remember or look at the field to tell how you plowed it last year and plowed it the opposite way to keep the field level.I do know the furrows always had to be straight. I do remember now though I read article years back,I think it was said to happen in Texas or Oklahoma.This article said they would rig up a tractor so it would plow in circles with no operator.They would run all nite long plowing fields. These tractors would sometimes jump out of the furrow and end up across roads and fences. I guess it was a common practice.Pretty cool though. Plowing gets pretty old and boring then you have hundreds of acres to do,or thousands for some.I know fender tractors are cool now,but driving one all day in the heat ,eating dust, the screaming engine ringing in your ears , your friends are going out tonight ,all you do is want to get done.

12 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

BOOG - That plowing around a field is a lost art like pitching bundles or something.  First plowing I ever did was on 40 acres of alfalfa sod, 20 acres of old hay ground, 20 acres old hog pasture. Dad had me on that JD R diesel. He made the first couple rounds.  Was a little disgusted running with 4-14's in 2nd and only plowing 5-6 inches deep. He rounded all 4 corners off then let me go driving around and around and around ALL day.  He jumped on the SM-TA with 3-14 #8 running in 3rd gear.  After about 4-5 rounds he'd catch me and start rounding corners again,  he'd get all 4 rounded and be right ahead of me.  There was one off camber clay sidehill that we were turning on that he saw the little puffs of smoke coming out the muffler of the R too slow. He flagged me down, told me to stop and downshift to low gear till we got away from that hill.  Took the better part of two days to plow that 40 acres.  

We put the 3-14 #8 behind the R after that. In corn ground I could run in 3rd then, still half a mpg slower than the SM-TA.

ANYHOW,  back on the frt tire topic. Really hard to tell the difference between a 6.00x16 and a 6.50x16.  A 5.50x16 you can tell the difference, and a 7.50x16.  I always wanted to weld up three brackets on some 6"x15" rims and bolt them on the cast wheel centers of a H or M and see how they worked. I always thought the wider foot print would help carry a loader much better without giving the tractor a nose-UP attitude.

Doc, after we had the 450 a couple years we went to rounding the corners. Sure was boring, riding in the furrow all day long but it was faster, when you finished a field there were no corners to plow out. To relieve boredom we took turns plowing the corners. One year we would start at the edge of the field & work in. Next time we plowed that field we would start in the middle & work out. Took a little figure exactly where to start so all 4 sides came out the same. I usually left that for one of the older guys. Starting in the middle & rounding the corners you never had to round the corners but you had to square out the corners when you finished. Plowing around it never seemed like you got anywhere in a larger field. Plowed a 60 acre field by myself once with the SM & 3x14 #16. End of first day I think I could have spit across what I had plowed. 

When we got the 656 & semi mount 550 we quit plowing around & went to lands. Few years ago I decided to plow a 145 ac field with a 7120 pulling a 5x18" 710 plow. Didn't take long to remember why I disliked plowing around as a kid. Chad & I still try to plow our COC ground. Goes fairy quickly running two 7x16" plows pulled by 300 hp mfd tractors

36 minutes ago, Jacka said:

Sorry to get off topic but what is  "plowing around the field". Is this a way you plowed a field?What was the reason to plow this way? I started moldboard plowing  at 16.I rode on the drawbar of a M way before that when i was too little to plow.I would hook up the trailer plow when my dad would hit a rock and it would trip through the clevis and unhook. I watched and  was taught how you plowed a field.If you started a land in the middle you kept  plowing out to the sides until it you made more time by going to the end and plowing back and ending up with a clean up furrow in that section.You plowed in lands so to speak.You did it this way to section a field off so you weren't wasting time running on the headlands.The next year you had to remember or look at the field to tell how you plowed it last year and plowed it the opposite way to keep the field level.I do know the furrows always had to be straight. I do remember now though I read article years back,I think it was said to happen in Texas or Oklahoma.This article said they would rig up a tractor so it would plow in circles with no operator.They would run all nite long plowing fields. These tractors would sometimes jump out of the furrow and end up across roads and fences. I guess it was a common practice.Pretty cool though. Plowing gets pretty old and boring then you have hundreds of acres to do,or thousands for some.I know fender tractors are cool now,but driving one all day in the heat ,eating dust, the screaming engine ringing in your ears , your friends are going out tonight ,all you do is want to get done.

"Plowing around" a field you started on the outside edge of a field, plowed to the other end, turned then plowed across the end to the other side. There you would plow down along that side, at the end turn & pl9oed back to the side where you started and repeated the process till the field was done. In the corners you had 3 options. 1 raise the plow and make the turn leaving a strip of unplowed ground which you plowed after you finished the field. 2. pl9w till you crossed into what had been plowed, raisenplown& makena right yand loop and start up the next side / end. When finished we would plow the corners like you would a "land" backfilling the dead furrows. 3. roundnthe corners out. Doing this you left the plow in the ground goingnaround the corner. Every so often you had to widen the corners by making a few passes on annangle to make the curve greater.mAdvantage doing it this way you were always plowing, sometimes plowed for several hours without ever taking the plow out of the ground and when youn ere finished therebwere no corners or ends to plow. Plowing around was faster than plowing in lands as you weren't wasting time dead heading across ends. Also didn't have a bunch of dead furrows so fields were level all the way across. 

We were one of the few who plowed around the field and the last to quit doing it in this area. Also the first in the area to run duasls on a tractor. Uncle started running duals on the SM when he bought it hew in '54. Wasn't until the 806s came out that duals started to become popular.

1 hour ago, Eason said:

I have 15.5 x 38s on the rear of my hydro 86 and 7.50 x 16s on the front.

20180402_190517.jpg

my 656 sits close to Easton,s with  all new 7.50x 16s and 15.5 x38 Titans. I had 15 inch rims that with 7.50x 15s may have set it a little more level

My uncle had a 560 with 15.5's on back and 9.5Lx15's on front. It looked good.

9.5Lx15 holds up well with my 706, even with the loader on.

It currently has car tires on it - LT245/75R16, so once I get them off of rims, I can make some decisions 

Thanks for the pictures & input 

838D6818-05A4-4E11-9D43-1F52C89A106B.jpeg

BOOG - Seemed like option #3 was most popular,  but had friends back in HS that used options #1&2 also.

BTO that owned my Super H for 13 years, technically 2nd owner, farmed the 320 acres across the road.  He plowed 80 acres right across from our house around using option #3, both tractors pulling IH #60 or #70 4 bottom plows,  and a week old 756 diesel and brand new 4020D Power Shift,  or the 756 was brand new and 4020 was a week old.  4020 had factory cab too, 756 was open station.   Like you said, both tractors plowed all day and I could still throw rocks across the plowed ground with no problem.

The highest percentage of 686 & H86 tractors were built with 15.5x38 rears and 7.50x16 frts,  something between 90 & 95%.  The 9.5Lx15's were used mostly on frts of 786,886, and a few 986 & H186's.  7.5Lx15's were strictly used on NFE tractors regardless of model.  

Well Eason and Hillman, the tractor had 16” front rims so we put 7.50-16s on with the 15.5-38s on the rear.  Sits a little different compared to what I am used to.

But as I sit back, it’s getting a 2nd chance and better than sitting in the weeds.

D5AEB25E-92AF-4F84-90B3-6E5BB4003936.jpeg

7351EEFB-2760-46CF-ACD5-F52CEB077D3E.jpeg

my 656 sits the same as your 544